PDA

View Full Version : Dell To Sell Ubuntu PCs At Retail In India

Lars Noodén
June 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Dell will sell PCs with Ubuntu pre-installed in India:

http://www.canonical.com/content/canonical-and-dell-announce-today-dell-laptops-pre-loaded-ubuntu-will-be-sold-850-retail-out

http://www.muktware.com/3702/dell-sell-ubuntu-pcs-retail-india

It'd be very nice to have this option in other markets, too.

AllRadioisDead
June 19th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I'll stick with my thinkpad.

The inspiron line is garbage.

KiwiNZ
June 19th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Excellent :)

KiwiNZ
June 19th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Stellar support for an initiative to progress:rolleyes::rolleyes:

bencouve
June 19th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Dell will sell PCs with Ubuntu pre-installed in India:

http://www.canonical.com/content/canonical-and-dell-announce-today- (http://www.canonical.com/content/canonical-and-dell-announce-today-dell-laptops-pre-loaded-ubuntu-will-be-sold-850-retail-out)

“By working with Dell to bring these machines to market, we’re providing millions of people with the opportunity of an affordable, high-quality computing experience - in some cases, for the first time.” .

For novices starting their computing experience with a Linux OS would probably be pretty advanced users within 5 years. Most users of Microsoft products would not know what a shell script is ... How is this going to impact the Indian users. May be a strategic decision. They are already ahead of a lot of countries in relation to IT.

Hope quote comes out ok, it's the first time I am using it.

vasa1
June 19th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Nonsense :)

Lars Noodén
June 19th, 2012, 12:34 PM
As an afterthought, it is curious to note that neither the Canonical press release nor most of the articles that point to it mention Linux explicitly.

vasa1
June 19th, 2012, 01:34 PM
As an afterthought, it is curious to note that neither the Canonical press release nor most of the articles that point to it mention Linux explicitly.

A while ago, a blogger (or site) was making a big deal about how Canonical hardly mentions Linux. While it's not the point of this thread, I can imagine that it'll be easier to "discuss" rather than the topic of the thread ;)

I'm quite curious to see how things pan out. I've not come across posts here or reports elsewhere that describe how well the China effort went.

PuddingKnife
June 19th, 2012, 01:34 PM

Probably for the best. How often does Apple mention BSD? :popcorn:

vasa1
June 19th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Come to think of it, I don't think there's a single post in this forum from anyone from China on how well the Canonical/Dell thing is going over there. Love to be proved wrong.

vasa1
June 19th, 2012, 02:32 PM
The local press has picked up the story:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/news/hardware/Dell-to-sell-Ubuntu-installed-laptops-netbooks-in-India/articleshow/14269982.cms

kurt18947
June 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM

I know how this can be perceived by people that frequent ubuntuforums but it might be a smart marketing move. I can imagine Joe or Josephine BarelyTechLiterate in their local big box store shopping for a new PC:
"This one has has linux on it. I heard linux is hard. I'd have to learn code. I can't do that. My newspaper/TV station's Tech Expert says Windows/Mac is really good. I'm going to buy one of those."

That the tech expert's opinion might be influenced by ad purchases (which pay a good chunk of their salary in the U.S.) is not likely to enter into the thought process. Ubuntu might not have the perception baggage that Linux has. If Ubuntu were able to generate buzz (Reduced malware threat seems like a really good place to start, with all the talk of viruses, identity theft etc.) they might sell some boxes. It would also be wise to include a tutorial when machines are first turned on; there's no 'start' button per se so people might need some help opening a web browser or word processor. Of course if the pioneers get those boxes home and they don't work - VERY WELL - that will be that. Remember how the Netbook Linux story played out.

irv
June 19th, 2012, 04:29 PM

I know that's your opinion, but I have been using a Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu on it for almost 4 years now and am typing this on it right now. I have nothing bad to say about it, have never had one ounce of trouble with it since I bought it. It has a Broadcom wifi card in it that doesn't play well with Ubuntu but there is a quick work around for that so it really is no problem.
In closing I will say that this laptop has been with me as I travel around the world and it worked no matter where I went, even in remote areas of Africa.

mips
June 19th, 2012, 06:18 PM

For me Thinkpad > Inspiron. Not saying Inspiron is garbage but I've had excellent experiences with the Thinkpad range.

irv
June 19th, 2012, 06:34 PM
For me Thinpad > Inspiron. Not saying Inspiron is garbage but I've had excellent experiences with the Thinkpad range.

I think you meant Thinkpad not Thinpad, but a thinner laptop would be nice. Different Strokes for different Folks. I used a Thinkpad when I was still working, and never liked them, they seemed to boxy and I never liked the screen. But again it is all about choice, kinda like our OS's.

Lars Noodén
June 19th, 2012, 06:43 PM
For me Thinpad > Inspiron. Not saying Inspiron is garbage but I've had excellent experiences with the Thinkpad range.

Right now it is only the Dell that comes with Linux pre-installed. When the other vendors offer a choice of Linux, then it will be easier to make comparisons. It would be nice to see Lenovo, Asus, and all the others with Linux pre-installed. At the moment there is only one choice and even that seems limited to a single country.

vasa1
June 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM
So let Thinpad, Thinkpad, whoever sell boxes with Ubuntu/Linux/whatever preinstalled. Problem solved instead of mine is better than yours :)

newbie2
June 19th, 2012, 11:01 PM
On the same day as Microsoft announced its own foray into the hardware turf via its tablet computer called Surface, Dell has decided to launch personal computers in India loaded with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu, is a widely used Linux-based open source software and Dell India, along with Canonical Ltd., the UK-based owner, has decided to sell personal computers based on it.

In a statement, Canonical Ltd., which is the sponsor of Ubuntu software project, said that it has “entered into agreement with Dell to sell PCs loaded with Ubuntu”. The Ubuntu OS will be loaded on Dell laptops and netbooks only.

“The machines — including the new Inspiron 14R and 15R — will be available with Ubuntu pre-installed from June 21 and more models are slated for release later in the year,” Canonical CEO Jane Silber told reporters.
http://www.firstpost.com/tech/bye-bye-windows-dell-launches-laptops-with-ubuntu-in-india-349422.html
:popcorn:

vasa1
June 20th, 2012, 04:07 AM
There is an existing thread here: Dell To Sell Ubuntu PCs At Retail In India (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12039634#post12039634)

AllRadioisDead
June 20th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I think you meant Thinkpad not Thinpad, but a thinner laptop would be nice. Different Strokes for different Folks. I used a Thinkpad when I was still working, and never liked them, they seemed to boxy and I never liked the screen. But again it is all about choice, kinda like our OS's.

That may have been a little harsh when I said the Dell's were garbage. I've just really gotten attached to my T420 and I would find it hard to switch back to something like that.

Now that I think about it, it's actually quite a good choice for the market they're trying to enter.

Sorry for jumping the gun.

Also, if a 'thin'pad is what you're after,

Check out:

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/

mips
June 20th, 2012, 09:00 AM
That may have been a little harsh when I said the Dell's were garbage.

Something else people should take into consideration is the business range laptops from the likes of Dell, HP etc are in a league above their consumer range stuff. You can't compare a consumer range laptop from Dell to a business range laptop from say Lenovo, it's apples & oranges.

AllRadioisDead
June 20th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Something else people should take into consideration is the business range laptops from the likes of Dell, HP etc are in a league above their consumer range stuff. You can't compare a consumer range laptop from Dell to a business range laptop from say Lenovo, it's apples & oranges.

Agreed.

jfreak_
June 20th, 2012, 11:16 AM
What is probably going to happen is that, outside the official Dell stores, the dealers will offer to overwrite Ubuntu for a pirated copy of Windows and more often than not the user will accept it. How many Ubuntu OS's remain in circulation will be an interesting statistic.

-From somewhere in India

Erik1984
June 20th, 2012, 11:45 AM
What is probably going to happen is that, outside the official Dell stores, the dealers will offer to overwrite Ubuntu for a pirated copy of Windows and more often than not the user will accept it. How many Ubuntu OS's remain in circulation will be an interesting statistic.

-From somewhere in India

Doesn't matter, this is a good start. If only 10% of customers keep Ubuntu it's still a good score and an increase in the user base.

vasa1
June 20th, 2012, 01:29 PM

-From somewhere in India

Something like that happened a few years ago. Even Effenberg described something like that happening in Brazil.

At one time, Dell didn't sell off-line in India, but now there are "dealers" who will do as you said.

I think Canonical+Dell in India will have the most chance of success with businesses and educational concerns, and little success with individual consumers. But even with businesses and educational concerns, it's going to be uphill.

irv
June 20th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Something like that happened a few years ago. Even Effenberg described something like that happening in Brazil.

At one time, Dell didn't sell off-line in India, but now there are "dealers" who will do as you said.

I think Canonical+Dell in India will have the most chance of success with businesses and educational concerns, and little success with individual consumers. But even with businesses and educational concerns, it's going to be uphill.

I don't think I agree with this. I believe a high percent of people on this forum might agree with the fact that once you try Ubuntu or may other Linux distros that you find you like it even better than Windows. I keep a legal copy of Win7 installed on my laptop for testing and the use of certain software, but 99% of the time I am using Ubuntu.
The world is changing. I just bought my wife a Chromebook, (no Windows) and cloud computing is coming of age. You don't need heavy hardware and it runs very fast and the price is coming way down.

vasa1
June 20th, 2012, 03:15 PM
@irv, I hope you're right and that the venture is successful. It's just that savvy individuals will already have Ubuntu or some other Linux flavor on their PCs or laptops. So it's new sales that we're looking at and that will depend on just how committed the dealer is.
Today's local print media didn't have a word on the subject (and no ads either).

irv
June 20th, 2012, 03:34 PM
@irv, I hope you're right and that the venture is successful. It's just that savvy individuals will already have Ubuntu or some other Linux flavor on their PCs or laptops. So it's new sales that we're looking at and that will depend on just how committed the dealer is.
Today's local print media didn't have a word on the subject (and no ads either).

Now a days everyone (almost everyone) is on the Internet, and there is a lot of talk about Ubuntu there, and word of mouth is helping a lot also. So I see things happening in the computer world with things like Android, Google Chrome, and other Linux OS's. Take for example my Roku box and my Sony Blueray and others they all are running Linux and doing quite well. Now Ubuntu is coming of age with other things like UbuntuTV and moving into other areas. Ubuntu is becoming more common then you think. Maybe this will be a good year for them. People are starting to wake up to the fact that the world runs on more then windows.
The Computer world is changing.

HappinessNow
June 22nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Probably for the best. How often does Apple mention BSD? :popcorn:You would be surprised (or perhaps not) at how many Apple users have NO clue what BSD is.

c2tarun
June 22nd, 2012, 01:24 PM

hmm.. dell products may not be as good in quality as others, specially thinkpad (it is lot better than most of the laptops)
But still I am using inspiron for two years now and nothing happened. My roomies 4 years old inspiron once suffered charger damage and he has to buy a new charger.
And plus point of dell is its service, if you are getting your warranty extended just use your machine like you want to use :) no problem.

irv
June 22nd, 2012, 01:59 PM
Think about what is being said here. Right now Dell is at least manufacturing computer and installing Ubuntu on them and then having a dealer sell them. This is a step in the right direction. And we have Ubuntu user saying they are garbage.
And don't forget System76. Another Ubuntu/Computer dealer.
Now you will always have Mac people, Windows people and Linux people. You will always have Dell people, IBM people, etc. you get the point. I do not like IBM laptops but I sure wouldn't call them garbage. I have a friend that works for IBM and that's all he uses, and he said it's a computer and it works. And that is the way I feel about my Dell. It's only a piece of hardware; a tool to get the job done.
Edit: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/can-ubuntu-on-a-system76-laptop-meet-photographers-needs?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29&utm_content=FaceBook

vasa1
June 22nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
One comment has effectively derailed the thread :)

Just because it's the Community Cafe doesn't mean a thread loses focus, I hope.

irv
June 26th, 2012, 02:30 PM
This is another plus for Ubundtu. I really like this one that's coming. A lot of power in a little package.
ASUS Quietly Launch New Ubuntu 12.04 Netbook (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/asus-quietly-launch-new-ubuntu-netbook?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29&utm_content=FaceBook)

vasa1
June 28th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Back on what I assume is the topic :)

http://news.efytimes.com/e1/86247/Ubuntu-Adoption-Grew--Per-Cent-In-India-Last-Year

And I hope it's not just a low base effect.

irv
June 28th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Back on what I assume is the topic :)

http://news.efytimes.com/e1/86247/Ubuntu-Adoption-Grew--Per-Cent-In-India-Last-Year

And I hope it's not just a low base effect.

I was just getting ready to post this link. Basically the same thing.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/ubuntu-adoption-grew-160-in-india-last-year?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29&utm_content=FaceBook

jfreak_
June 28th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I haven't gone to a Dell store for quite a few months, but they are including restricted packages, are they not?

On another note, there is no trace of Ubuntu on their Indian site. Interesting because the geekier people tend to buy online.

vasa1
June 29th, 2012, 05:52 AM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/ubuntu-adoption-grew-160-in-india-last-year
?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29&utm_content=FaceBook (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/ubuntu-adoption-grew-160-in-india-last-year

?utm_source =feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29&utm_content
=FaceBook)

It's not a big deal, but just the part in bold is sufficient to point to the relevant page.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to as much detail as possible.

Given the margins involved, it would be unrealistic to expect an advertising campaign but at least specs and a list of the stores already opened.

Dell has a 1-800 number and I guess I could give it a try sometime :D

Another point is this ... There was a post within the last year from someone who had bought or was intending to buy a Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed. This was in the US. Apparently, the Dell guy informed him that only the LTS was supported. Upgrading to anything else would void the warranty. I think the poster never came back but I'll see if I can dig out that post.

Edit: I give up. I can't find that thread using Google. I even did a month by month search of just my username. Maybe my memory played a trick on me but that would be most unusual ;)