PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lock-ups on Lenovo T60

graxspoo
June 18th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I just installed 12.04 on an old Lenovo T60 Thinkpad. I'm mostly really liking it, except several times in the last two days I've gotten into a state where all user input is rejected. The mouse moves (both from the touchpoint and touchpad) but I can't click on anything. Key presses are also ignored. All I can do is reboot. Being a Linux newbie, I have no idea of what debugging strategy I might use to try to figure out what's going on. Pretty much all ll I'm running is firefox, and this is a vanilla clean install. The lock-ups seem fairly random. One time it definitely happened when I was trying to drag a firefox window between workspaces.

dyous87
June 19th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I had a similar problem with several old Thinkpads.Try removing the battery. It seems that a dead battery (no longer holding charge) can cause this issue under Linux on the thinkpad.

graxspoo
June 19th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Hey, thanks for the input. The battery seems OK. I can run on battery power for five or six hours of moderate use including wireless networking.

I had a similar problem with several old Thinkpads.Try removing the battery. It seems that a dead battery (no longer holding charge) can cause this issue under Linux on the thinkpad.

graxspoo
June 19th, 2012, 12:38 AM
One other data point: I can boot into Windows XP on the same system, and I don't run into this behavior.

dyous87
June 19th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Just out of curiosity, if you boot into an Ubuntu Live CD do you have the same issue?

graxspoo
June 19th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Dunno. I'll give it a shot and report back. That's a mode the original install CD I made can run in, right? I seem to remember a "try ubuntu without installing" option.

dyous87
June 19th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Yes "Try without installing" will boot into a live system that runs right off the cd/dvd.

graxspoo
June 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I played around with the live CD for about a half hour last night. I didn't get the lock-up, but I'm not sure it's a great test, because its too slow to really use, and the timing is completely different because it keeps hitting the CD.

graxspoo
June 20th, 2012, 10:23 PM
More testing with the live CD last night did not turn up any freezes. Someone in another thread mentioned this might be related to X windows. This is possible, since I installed Gimp.