sudo apt-get update

Step 3: Install Cinnamon:
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

Step 4: Now log off and relogin by selecting Cinnamon from list
Thats it !!

:guitar:

arubislander
June 18th, 2012, 09:30 AM
That'll make your Ubuntu work like Linux Mint, not really like Windows 7 :)

haqking
June 18th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Actually it will make Ubuntu work like Ubuntu.

Cinnamon is just a desktop environment/Theme

N0oki3
June 18th, 2012, 10:54 AM
ubuntu like windows 7 hm...

Oh god, all the lag, and blue screens and takes ages...blaaagh

3Miro
June 18th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Making Ubuntu look like Windows 7 is fun, but I sure hope it will not work like Windows 7.

lsemmens
June 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Interestingly enough, since W7 came out however long ago. I've not experienced any problems with it. Certainly no instabilities like previous versions of *******.

If I had the time, though, I'd port all of my access databases to mySQL and move to Linux exclusively. That, and finding a good alternative to i-SUX errr I mean i-Tunes, sadly that is still the best I can find to keep my iPhone in synch with Outlook which is another program that has yet to be completely duplicated in Linux/. I know that there are good alternatives to Outlook, but not one integrated solution, which is not as critical as my Access stuff. I can even live without i-Sux (pleeeeeze can I live without it?) but the many years of investment in customising the MickeyMouseOrifice packages have left me locked in an endless loop of *******.

3Miro
June 18th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Interestingly enough, since W7 came out however long ago. I've not experienced any problems with it. Certainly no instabilities like previous versions of *******.

If I had the time, though, I'd port all of my access databases to mySQL and move to Linux exclusively. That, and finding a good alternative to i-SUX errr I mean i-Tunes, sadly that is still the best I can find to keep my iPhone in synch with Outlook which is another program that has yet to be completely duplicated in Linux/. I know that there are good alternatives to Outlook, but not one integrated solution, which is not as critical as my Access stuff. I can even live without i-Sux (pleeeeeze can I live without it?) but the many years of investment in customising the MickeyMouseOrifice packages have left me locked in an endless loop of *******.

BSOD and security (the lack thereof) are only some of the problems with Windows, fix those and it is still a bad system, but this is another topic altogether.

Sounds like you can go for a Virtual Box setup. You can use Ubuntu full time and then launch Virtual Box every now and then when you need to sync your i-Crap devices or Outlook.

Depending on the laws in your country, it may be completely legal for you to remove the DRM from the iTunes music and then just listen to them with Rhythmbox or some other Linux app. Without the DRM you need to go into iTunes (and Virtual Box) only when you want to sync or buy new songs.

A Virtual Box setup is soooo much less hassle than dual-boot.

Old Gnome 2 could be made to look really close to Windows 7, even Firefox could be configured to look like IE. Naturally Cinnamon and Mate still have this ability, however, I have not seen it implemented for Gnome-shell or Unity yet. One of the hardest things to get right was the Windows decorations. Emerald could mimic the Air theme, but other decorators couldn't get it close enough. Does anyone have screenshots of Cinnamon's Windows 7 theme?

Frogs Hair
June 18th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Glad you like Cinnamon . I dual boot and know what Win 7 works like and enjoy my 3 Linux desktop environments much more. If what you wrote is true than I am much less interested in trying Cinnamon.

oldos2er
June 18th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Changed thread title to something more appropriate.

arubislander
June 18th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Cinnamon is just a desktop environment/Theme

Just a desktop environment/Theme is cause enough to name distro's. Hence Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu and yes, Linux Mint. Therefore I stand by my post.

haqking
June 19th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Just a desktop environment/Theme is cause enough to name distro's. Hence Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu and yes, Linux Mint. Therefore I stand by my post.

well my post was directed at the OP and title and not directly at yours.

However installing a DE does not make Linux work like Windows.

Also in reference to your post, installing KDE into Ubuntu does not make it Kubuntu, installing Xfce into Ubuntu does not make it Xubuntu, those distros are more than a given DE which is why installing cinnamon wont make it anything more than Ubuntu with a given DE. (I know that you never said that installing KDE makes Ubuntu Kubuntu, i was just making a point)

Cheers

arubislander
June 20th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I think we can both agree on that.

Take care!