PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Precise upgrade question

aykoola
June 18th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Hi!

It seems the only way i can install 12.04 is by upgrade through terminal, which actually works now. My question is, is it ok to do that? Are there any leftover files from it etc. that would slow down my computer etc.?

Thanks!

Jimmyfj
June 18th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Hi!

It seems the only way i can install 12.04 is by upgrade through terminal, which actually works now. My question is, is it ok to do that? Are there any leftover files from it etc. that would slow down my computer etc.?

Thanks!

Theres nothing wrong with upgrading your system via the Internet. It usually works as intended even though there are incidents where something goes wrong. But isn't there always? No matter what you download from the inet?

The install I'm running is a 12.04 upgraded to 12.10 Alpha-1 via the Internet and it just works.

Normally I would use a clean install, and recommend people to do that instead of upgrading via inet. But I've been away from Ubuntu for a little more than a year, and gotten used to "the Debian way" of doing things.

Don't know if that method leaves a bunch of files on your hdd but I've never seen that in Ubuntu, or in Debian.

mastablasta
June 18th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Hi!

Thanks!

it's the same process just without the GUI i believe. so there would be leftovers (especially if you had some outside programmes). but it shouldn't cause a slowdown.

i trust you checked that everything works on 12.04 using a live media?

Edit: upgrade is slower than fresh install. tried two times... relatively fast internet connection here so download is fast but installation is slower. so decided to do a fresh install and was over in 45 minutes with all PPA's added and tar.gz programmes installed.

another option that is now available is upgrade from CD. might be a bit faster as it skips download part.

mastablasta
June 18th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Normally I would use a clean install, and recommend people to do that instead of upgrading via inet. But I've been away from Ubuntu for a little more than a year, and gotten used to "the Debian way" of doing things.

what is the debian way? isn't it that you change sources.list manually and then update?