PDA

View Full Version : Ebay

Cyfr
June 20th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Hello, I don't use ebay all that often, but when I have used it I have used turbo lister (on windows)

Is there any sort of program like turbo lister available for linux? Or can turbo lister work with wine/crossover?

I would be greatfull for a solution because I hate putting everything up through the web interface, very slow.. and I can convince my dad to install ubuntu if theres a decent alternative :p

mips
June 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM
There is no linux version and apparently it is a biatch to get working in wine or not possible at all.

Have a look at Preispiraten, Bidwatcher, JBidwatcher, VitaleBay and Bid the Monkey for linux.

If the above don't suit your needs then maybe install VMWare server or their other free product and install WinXP in VMware then you can install turbo lister and access it all from linux.

Cyfr
June 20th, 2006, 07:09 PM
There is no linux version and apparently it is a biatch to get working in wine or not possible at all.

Have a look at Preispiraten, Bidwatcher, JBidwatcher, VitaleBay and Bid the Monkey for linux.

If the above don't suit your needs then maybe install VMWare server or their other free product and install WinXP in VMware then you can install turbo lister and access it all from linux.

Feel from to correct me if I am wrong, but I think none of those programs allow you to sell through them, rather bid and watch auctions..

I think I will have to use vmware :( unless anyone has any other ideas :)

mips
June 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Honestly don't know what those apps do, just a suggestion.

madtweety
October 1st, 2006, 05:35 PM
Well i got this working BUT soon as you double on old file its just crashes :( ](*,)

henriquemaia
October 1st, 2006, 07:22 PM
Have you tried this:

http://bidwatcher.sourceforge.net/images/bidwatcher-binoculars2.gif (http://bidwatcher.sourceforge.net/)

ahaslam
October 1st, 2006, 10:45 PM
I prepare my ads in Nvu and then paste everything between <body> & <body> in the description box. This alows you to fornat text, spell check, create templates & save your progress, making listing less hassle. This can also reduce your listing cost if you host your pics somewhere & create thumbs & links, etc - supersize pics & designer for free ;)

Tony.

PS. I often use Jbidwatcher for bidding/monitoring/sniping items & highly recommend it.

Officer Dibble
October 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Is there anyway to defeat these auto-bid monsters?

I'm new to Ebay and find it really frustrating when anything and everything I want it instantaneously out bid.

I really think Ebay should do something about them. :(

SonicSteve
October 3rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
The only way to beat them is to put a higher maximum bid down in the first place. Then if it sells for a higher amount than you were willing to pay, you shouldn't buy it anyway.

Officer Dibble
October 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
The only way to beat them is to put a higher maximum bid down in the first place. Then if it sells for a higher amount than you were willing to pay, you shouldn't buy it anyway.

Brilliant suggestion, thanks! I didn't know it worked like that. :)

SonicSteve
October 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Keep in mind that in doing this, you give someone else the opportunity to up your bid.
You put a max bid of $50 on an item. If the bidding starting at $10 you have the current high bid. If someone else wants it they may bid you up $30 before they decide that $31 is too much for them.
What I do is tune into the last day of an auction then at the 2hour mark, then 30mins then 5mins till the end. I don't like paying more for something than I have to. This way I watch it till the end and bid if I like the price or wait for another similar item if it's higher than I like. Of course I only pick items that I think I'll be home for the ending. As a seller it's not what they would prefer, but as a buyer it's the only good way to do it. Ebay like anything else takes practice, trial and error.
Also make sure you check the sellers feedback, and I only bid if I can check to see if the item was legitimate. Some sellers will sell digital e-books for 1cent. These give them a high feedback score quickly and require absolutely no commitment to ship and actually sell quality goods. If their feedback score is less 99% or the items that they sold can't be seen I would avoid them.
Say for instance you want a laptop. If you can't see the items in their feedback score and confirm that they have actually sold a computer and that the person who bought it was happy and actually received it again I avoid them. I do this because of experience. There are fraudulent sellers on Ebay trust me. Do your homework on the seller or you could find yourself falling victim to them.
On the whole I've had more good experiences than bad ones, but I've learned my lesson the hard way. I thought I knew what I was doing, and it proved to be a costly mistake.