PDA

View Full Version : NCEA for computing

Financing Dragons
June 18th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Hello,

I'm 16 years old and from New Zealand. I recently started a computing and admin course. The course consists of NCEA level 1 and 2, and seems to have very little ralavence to computers. It's more based around, employment rights and future goals. I have decided that I will definitely complete NCEA level 1, seen as I'm already half way through. But I have been wondering where to go from there, whether it is worth getting NCEA level 2 and 3 as well? I was wondering if anyone had any idea of how relavent or necassary NCEA woul be for work in the IT industry. I'm am looking to land a job in linux system adminstration, and was wondering if it's a waste of time completeing NCEA level 2 and 3. And whether I should just go straight from NCEA level 1 and start completeing Red Hat and cisco certfications etc

Can anyone please give me a bit of advice?

Face-Ache
June 18th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I would suggest that a CompTIA A+ course would be the bare minimum for getting a job in the IT industry, rather than more generalised educational achievements like NCEA.

However, i feel that completing all of those NCEA levels would be in your best interest, as it's a good grounding for you future, regardless of whatever industry you end up in. It also shows any prospective employer that you have a good level of emotional intelligence, and determination to see things through.

Personally, if i was in your position, i'd complete the NCEA levels, and then move on to A+, followed by a Cisco Certified Network Associate course (which is what i've done/am doing - re-training from a Risk Assessment background to IT, specifically networking).

Depending on the provider, you could also look at MCITP, which along with A+ and CCNA, would give you an NZQA Diploma. But the MCITP component might not be very relevant if you are looking to get into Linux Systems Admin. Still, at your age, with the rest of your life ahead of you, it certainly would not hurt your job prospects.

That's my 2c anyway ;)

Financing Dragons
June 18th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I would suggest that a CompTIA A+ course would be the bare minimum for getting a job in the IT industry, rather than more generalised educational achievements like NCEA.

However, i feel that completing all of those NCEA levels would be in your best interest, as it's a good grounding for you future, regardless of whatever industry you end up in. It also shows any prospective employer that you have a good level of emotional intelligence, and determination to see things through.

Personally, if i was in your position, i'd complete the NCEA levels, and then move on to A+, followed by a Cisco Certified Network Associate course (which is what i've done/am doing - re-training from a Risk Assessment background to IT, specifically networking).

Depending on the provider, you could also look at MCITP, which along with A+ and CCNA, would give you an NZQA Diploma. But the MCITP component might not be very relevant if you are looking to get into Linux Systems Admin. Still, at your age, with the rest of your life ahead of you, it certainly would not hurt your job prospects.

That's my 2c anyway ;)

Thanks for you advice, definitely stuff to consider :)

Face-Ache
June 18th, 2012, 07:56 AM
No problem at all - feel free to PM me if you've any questions about A+ or the Cisco course.

chamber
June 18th, 2012, 10:06 AM

I would suggest Network + over A +.

I once got told by an prospective employer that A + was only worthwhile if you worked in a repair shop and that they didn't count it as relevant any more.

Network + is very VERY easy.

Financing Dragons
June 19th, 2012, 03:30 AM
What do you guys reckon about COMPtia Linux + ??

CharlesA
June 19th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I would suggest Network + over A +.

I once got told by an prospective employer that A + was only worthwhile if you worked in a repair shop and that they didn't count it as relevant any more.

Network + is very VERY easy.

Both are entry-level. I found Net+ dead simple and A+ was like 80% customer service questions.

What do you guys reckon about COMPtia Linux + ??

It's decent. You might want to look into the RedHat certifications too.

Face-Ache
June 19th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Both are entry-level. I found Net+ dead simple and A+ was like 80% customer service questions.

I did A+ during the first 3 months of this year, and whilst there were a few Customer Service questions, it wasn't anywhere near 80%. Most of it was cramming though; RAID setups, pin counts, bus speeds, the internal process of a laser printer, etc, but the subnetting and OSI model sections were a good grounding/introduction for Cisco.

Anyway Financing Dragons, sounds like Network+ or Linux+ will be better options for you than A+.

CharlesA
June 19th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I did A+ during the first 3 months of this year, and whilst there were a few Customer Service questions, it wasn't anywhere near 80%. Most of it was cramming though; RAID setups, pin counts, bus speeds, the internal process of a laser printer, etc, but the subnetting and OSI model sections were a good grounding/introduction for Cisco.

Anyway Financing Dragons, sounds like Network+ or Linux+ will be better options for you than A+.

I wonder if they changed it again - I took it back in 2008 or so. I know the questions are randomly chosen, but I don't recall anything about RAID or bus speeds.

The Net+ one had more real world stuff with networking in any case. ;)

mips
June 19th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Here's my take. The entry level stuff is useless (everybody has these and it proves nothing) unless you don't already know what you are doing. A+, N+ etc means very little in my book. If you want to be noticed go and get the Red Hat & Cisco certs. I said 'noticed', being certified does not actually mean you know what you are doing, for that you need experience and that's a catch 22 obviously. The fact that you did the higher end stuff would get you more recognition though and someone might give you a 'chance'.

My opinion is based on working in the field, hiring people etc. For me to hire you I would give you a hands on test more strenuous than a CCNP etc tests you do at a test centre as I want to know what you really know and can do. If you have a B.Sc or B.Eng degree behind you name even better, certs are something additional. That said I have seen many people without degrees or lapsed certs that will run rings around the young paper cert people that just passed a exam.

Financing Dragons
July 2nd, 2012, 05:29 AM
Thanks guys, information noted down! :)