PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GUI Software Sources - Cannot configure automatic installation of security updates

damienz
June 17th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Hello,

In the Update Manager software, when I click on the Settings... button to open the software sources window, I cannot select an option for "When there are security updates" in the Updates tab. In fact the combobox is disabled.

As someone an idea of the problem ?

thanks in advance

Damien

romis
June 24th, 2012, 02:45 AM
I am having the same problem. And the checkbox below it, was blank as well, the one where you set an option of how often to notify when there's a regular update.

I think we're missing a/some packages, but I just cannot figure out which.

damienz
June 25th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Yes, I think the problem is related with a package which is not installed.

I have two Ubuntu 12.04 systems, the first one was installed using the GUI livecd installer and the second one was installed using the text only installer. Only the second system has the problem, I guess, using the text installer, some packages are not installed.

Maybe I can do a comparison between my both systems in order to discover the differences in term of installed packages.

romis
June 25th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Yes, I think the problem is related with a package which is not installed.

I have two Ubuntu 12.04 systems, the first one was installed using the GUI livecd installer and the second one was installed using the text only installer. Only the second system has the problem, I guess, using the text installer, some packages are not installed.

Maybe I can do a comparison between my both systems in order to discover the differences in term of installed packages.

You absolutely should be able to. You can run a command like dpkg --get-selections in a terminal and that will give you a list of installed packages. You can also do it like dpkg --get-selections > my-installed-packages.txt and it will send the output to a text file. Run it on both machines.

There's a program called "diff" you can use to compare files, but I'm not too sure how to use it, but a manual comparison may not be too difficult?

tekdo
June 25th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I am having the same problem across a number of desktops, all running Xubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric).

damienz
June 26th, 2012, 08:01 PM
You absolutely should be able to. You can run a command like dpkg --get-selections in a terminal and that will give you a list of installed packages. You can also do it like dpkg --get-selections > my-installed-packages.txt and it will send the output to a text file. Run it on both machines.

There's a program called "diff" you can use to compare files, but I'm not too sure how to use it, but a manual comparison may not be too difficult?

Yes, I tried your solution (dpkg + diff), I saw some difference but I cannot found a package which has an influence on that problem.
Maybe, it's a configuration problem...

dino99
June 26th, 2012, 08:04 PM
synaptic is a better/easier choice

sudo apt-get install synaptic
sudo synpatic

tekdo
June 27th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Yes, I tried your solution (dpkg + diff), I saw some difference but I cannot found a package which has an influence on that problem.
Maybe, it's a configuration problem...

I found the same thing. I compared "dpkg --get-selections" against different machines. There was no significant differences in installed packages.

I thought it might be an apparmor issue, so I uninstalled apparmor and even rebooted, but still remains.

Its not an arch issue, because I see this on both 32bit and 64bit.

Some more ideas:
- maybe it is something in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d
- something to do with polkit

tekdo
June 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Solution: just uninstall unattended-upgrades

Unfortunately, I can't do that, because it brings in all these dependencies that I don't want:

The following extra packages will be installed:
docbook-xsl kate-data katepart kde-runtime kde-runtime-data kdebase-runtime kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data
kdelibs5-plugins kdoctools libattica0 libclucene0ldbl libdbusmenu-qt2 libdlrestrictions1 libiodbc2
libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcmutils4 libkde3support4 libkdecore5 libkdesu5 libkdeui5 libkdewebkit5
libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkfile4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4 libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4
libkmediaplayer4 libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkparts4 libkpty4 libkrosscore4
libktexteditor4 libmysqlclient16 libnepomuk4 libnepomukquery4a libnepomukutils4 libntrack-qt4-1
libntrack0 libphonon4 libplasma3 libpolkit-qt-1-1 libqt4-qt3support libqt4-sql-mysql libsolid4
libsoprano4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libthreadweaver4 mysql-common ntrack-module-libnl-0 phonon
phonon-backend-gstreamer plasma-scriptengine-javascript shared-desktop-ontologies soprano-daemon
Suggested packages:
docbook-xsl-doc-html docbook-xsl-doc-pdf docbook-xsl-doc-text docbook-xsl-doc libsaxon-java
docbook-xsl-saxon fop xalan dbtoepub djvulibre-bin hspell libqt4-dev phonon-backend-vlc
phonon-backend-xine phonon-backend-mplayer
Recommended packages:
virtuoso-minimal kubuntu-debug-installer icoutils libcanberra-pulse libcanberra-gstreamer
The following packages will be REMOVED
aptdaemon* apturl* language-selector-gnome* python-aptdaemon* python-aptdaemon-gtk*
python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets* python-aptdaemon.gtkwidgets* python-software-properties*
sessioninstaller* software-center* software-properties-gtk* unattended-upgrades* xubuntu-desktop*
xul-ext-ubufox* y-ppa-manager*
The following NEW packages will be installed
docbook-xsl kate-data katepart kde-runtime kde-runtime-data kdebase-runtime kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data
kdelibs5-plugins kdoctools libattica0 libclucene0ldbl libdbusmenu-qt2 libdlrestrictions1 libiodbc2
libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcmutils4 libkde3support4 libkdecore5 libkdesu5 libkdeui5 libkdewebkit5
libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkfile4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4 libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4
libkmediaplayer4 libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkparts4 libkpty4 libkrosscore4
libktexteditor4 libmysqlclient16 libnepomuk4 libnepomukquery4a libnepomukutils4 libntrack-qt4-1
libntrack0 libphonon4 libplasma3 libpolkit-qt-1-1 libqt4-qt3support libqt4-sql-mysql libsolid4
libsoprano4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libthreadweaver4 mysql-common ntrack-module-libnl-0 phonon
phonon-backend-gstreamer plasma-scriptengine-javascript shared-desktop-ontologies soprano-daemon
0 upgraded, 61 newly installed, 15 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 26.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 116 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Does anyone know how to uninstall it without bringing in all these dependencies?

In the meantime, there is a workaround: edit this file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades and comment out its contents. It should look like this after you are done:

//APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
//APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages "0";
//APT::Periodic::AutocleanInterval "0";
//APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";

You can follow bug report here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unattended-upgrades/+bug/1018367

damienz
July 2nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
synaptic is a better/easier choice

sudo apt-get install synaptic
sudo synpatic

I totally agree with you. But this doesn't fix the problem.

damienz
July 2nd, 2012, 10:02 PM
Solution: just uninstall unattended-upgrades

Unfortunately, I can't do that, because it brings in all these dependencies that I don't want:

The following extra packages will be installed:
Suggested packages:
docbook-xsl-doc-html docbook-xsl-doc-pdf docbook-xsl-doc-text docbook-xsl-doc libsaxon-java
docbook-xsl-saxon fop xalan dbtoepub djvulibre-bin hspell libqt4-dev phonon-backend-vlc
phonon-backend-xine phonon-backend-mplayer
Recommended packages:
virtuoso-minimal kubuntu-debug-installer icoutils libcanberra-pulse libcanberra-gstreamer
The following packages will be REMOVED
aptdaemon* apturl* language-selector-gnome* python-aptdaemon* python-aptdaemon-gtk*
python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets* python-aptdaemon.gtkwidgets* python-software-properties*
sessioninstaller* software-center* software-properties-gtk* unattended-upgrades* xubuntu-desktop*
xul-ext-ubufox* y-ppa-manager*
The following NEW packages will be installed
0 upgraded, 61 newly installed, 15 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 26.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 116 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Does anyone know how to uninstall it without bringing in all these dependencies?

In the meantime, there is a workaround: edit this file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades and comment out its contents. It should look like this after you are done:

//APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
//APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages "0";
//APT::Periodic::AutocleanInterval "0";
//APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";

You can follow bug report here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unattended-upgrades/+bug/1018367

Thanks for your solution. By reading your post and by reading the bug report on launchpad, I understand the problem...

In my case (maybe you have the same situation), in Ubuntu installation where I have the problem, I noticed an additional file (20auto-upgrades) in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d, however in Ubuntu installation where I don't have the problem, this specific file doesn't exist. To fix the problem, I just had to remove this file. I discover that this file is present only if you install the system in text mode.