PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Distro in your opinion and why?

meathdeath
June 17th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I am posting this out of curiosity to see what kind of responses i get from such a bright community of wonderfully helpful individuals we have here on the ubuntu forums. Title says it all so do your best in explaining your answer.

Habitual
June 17th, 2012, 09:14 PM
There is no "best"...
Whatever works for you.

Explanation: This very Q has been asked a million times all over the web.

yeehi
June 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I vote for Trisquel (http://trisquel.info/en).

The current version is 5.5 Brigantia.

I like it because, unlike Ubuntu, it is a fully free distro. It is actually endorsed by the Free Software Foundation. (It doesn't get any money for this!)

It is a Ubuntu based distribution, using the Linux-libre kernel. Being a Ubuntu based means it benefits from all the developers who work on Debian / Ubuntu.

It installs like a dream and has great people in the Trisquel support community.

Try it!

meathdeath
June 17th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Thank you yeehi... i appreciate your response and will put creating a partition of the os of your choice in my HDD under consideration:)

sffvba[e0rt
June 17th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

KiwiNZ
June 18th, 2012, 03:54 AM
The best Distro is the one that offers what you want and works best for your circumstances. That of course could be the absolute worst Distro for the person next door.

Mikeb85
June 18th, 2012, 06:02 PM
For what I personally want right now, I'd say openSUSE. If I were recommending it to anyone else, I'd say Ubuntu 12.04.

PaulW2U
June 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM
There is no "best"...
Whatever works for you.

Exactly.

Somebody somewhere will nominate virtually every distribution.

So they're all the best according to someone. ;)

wolfen69
June 20th, 2012, 05:34 AM
There is no "best"...
Whatever works for you.

+Times a million. It's THE worst question to ask. There is no definitive answer. Use what works for you.

black veils
June 20th, 2012, 02:18 PM
+Times a million. It's THE worst question to ask. There is no definitive answer. Use what works for you.

the question already states "in your opinion".

for me, the best is Xubuntu or Bodhi Linux.

mamamia88
June 20th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Debian because it's lighter than Ubuntu and comes with less preinstalled.

pissedoffdude
June 22nd, 2012, 06:28 AM
It's definitely got to be arch for me. It lets me be in control of what's going on, and I can have the latest software without sacrificing stability.

malspa
June 22nd, 2012, 07:02 AM
What is the best Distro in your opinion and why?

In my opinion, there is no "best" distro. I run several here and I can't even say which is the best among those! They each have different strengths and weaknesses. Also, distros change from release to release; the next release might not be as good as the last one, and next year there might be another distro release that's simply awesome.