PDA

View Full Version : Google's Motorola Droid Razr Outselling iPhone 4S at Verizon!

HappinessNow
June 17th, 2012, 05:54 AM
This is the first week I can remember where a single Android phone is reportedly outselling Apple’s iPhone at one carrier. According to a research note from William Blair, that’s exactly what’s happening at Verizon stores. A check of inventory and sales indicated Motorola’s Droid Razr is topping the iPhone 4S, which is good news for Motorola and its new owner, Google.

It’s possible that Verizon’s LTE network is part of this surge for the Android-powered Razr: Without an LTE iPhone on any carrier, the Razr — and other Android phones — can deliver mobile broadband speeds topping 20 Mbps or more; as fast as wired broadband at home. The iPhone 4S holds its own against LTE on HSPA+ networks, but falls far shorter on Verizon and Sprint, where speeds generally average 1.5 Mbps with occasional 3 Mbps bursts. http://gigaom.com/mobile/android-this-week-razr-beats-iphone-acer-outs-hd-tablet-intel-phone-shows-promise/

I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy S III on Sprint but Google's Motorola Droid Razr on Verizon may be a better deal?

either way the iPhone 4S is definitely out of the picture.

MisterGaribaldi
June 17th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I'm kind of on the fence about this.

Sure, LTE speeds will be nice to have when LTE comes out in my area (and in most others, of course!) but I'm concerned about two separate things. The first, of course, is battery runtime. I'm assuming 4G will drain the battery faster than 3G service does.

The second reason I'm concerned goes back to an article a while ago where this U.S. General, when interviewed by I think it was the senate, behind closed doors, admitted that LTE would, in fact, interfere with GPS systems, and yet even though this was the case, the U.S. Government had green-lighted the system (thank you, FCC) and the Government-sponsored 4G initiative (thank you, White House).

So, to be honest, I'm really not so sure I know how I should feel about this.

AllRadioisDead
June 17th, 2012, 10:04 AM
The Motorola Droid Razr is not a Google phone.

KiwiNZ
June 17th, 2012, 10:10 AM
The Motorola Droid Razr is not a Google phone.

Motorola is owned by Google

AllRadioisDead
June 17th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Motorola is owned by Google

As of what, two weeks ago?

Google had nothing to do with the Razr.

KiwiNZ
June 17th, 2012, 11:11 AM

Google had nothing to do with the Razr.

It is still a Google product

AllRadioisDead
June 17th, 2012, 11:16 AM
It is still a Google product

Would you consider the Thinkpad T40 a Lenovo product then?

It was designed and manufactured by IBM years before the Lenovo takeover.

KiwiNZ
June 17th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Would you consider the Thinkpad T40 a Lenovo product then?

It was designed and manufactured by IBM years before the Lenovo takeover.

Believe what you will the product is a Google product

aysiu
June 17th, 2012, 01:13 PM
This is a silly debate.

The Motorola Razr was put out while Google had already bought out Motorola Mobility, but the takeover hadn't been fully approved until recently. Nevertheless, Google owns Motorola now, and from the very beginning the Razr was running Google's own operating system, Android (with the Motoblur overlay but still Android, nonetheless).

Is it a "Google product" or not? That's just semantics.

kurt18947
June 17th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I'm kind of on the fence about this.

Sure, LTE speeds will be nice to have when LTE comes out in my area (and in most others, of course!) but I'm concerned about two separate things. The first, of course, is battery runtime. I'm assuming 4G will drain the battery faster than 3G service does.

The second reason I'm concerned goes back to an article a while ago where this U.S. General, when interviewed by I think it was the senate, behind closed doors, admitted that LTE would, in fact, interfere with GPS systems, and yet even though this was the case, the U.S. Government had green-lighted the system (thank you, FCC) and the Government-sponsored 4G initiative (thank you, White House).

So, to be honest, I'm really not so sure I know how I should feel about this.

LightSquared, firm that was promoting the system that interfered with GPS had a change of plans, I believe. I don't know that all LTE systems interfere, just the one proposed by LightSquared. Here's one link:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/LightSquared-Wireless-LTE-Broadband-Kills-GPS-Government-Tests-Find-551565/1/

SeijiSensei
June 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM
You don't suppose the fact that the DROID 4 and DROID RAZR cost $100 less than the iPhone 4S at Verizon has anything to do with it, do you?

MisterGaribaldi
June 17th, 2012, 08:52 PM
This is a silly debate.

*jumps up and down in thread*

No it isn't! No it isn't! No it isn't!!!!!!!

Hey, wait, don't run out of the thread just yet, aysiu, because it gets better:

Right now, I'm stuck between:

1. Was the 3.5" floppy drive developed by Sony a Sony development?

and

2. What is the air speed velocity of an unladen European swallow?

KiwiNZ
June 17th, 2012, 08:54 PM
*jumps up and down in thread*

No it isn't! No it isn't! No it isn't!!!!!!!

Hey, wait, don't run out of the thread just yet, aysiu, because it gets better:

Right now, I'm stuck between:

1. Was the 3.5" floppy drive developed by Sony a Sony development?

and

2. What is the air speed velocity of an unladen European swallow?

Dammit all that jumping knocked over my coffee

HappinessNow
June 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM

Google had nothing to do with the Razr.doesn't matter.

It only matters who gets the profit in the end. ;)