PDA

View Full Version : Best Things to Use The Terminal For?

mamamia88
June 17th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I just discovered how much easier it is to copy all the files of a specific file extension from one folder to another using the terminal. for example i wanted to copy all my flacs off my mp3 player and convert them to mp3 because i was running out of space all i had to do was. cd /mp3 player then mv *.flac /outputdirectory so much simpler then locating all the flacs and copying and pasting. what are some other cool uses for the terminal?

zombifier25
June 17th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Anything.

Primefalcon
June 17th, 2012, 03:40 AM
converting using libav or imagemagick for singular as well as batch

open a youtube video in vlc :-) (makes for a lot smoother video) among numerous other every day tasks (I usually just have a terminal open from the moment I log in to when I log off.

when yo use ctrl+r and tab to search and auto complete commands, using he terminal becomes a very quick way to do things

nec207
June 17th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I just discovered how much easier it is to copy all the files of a specific file extension from one folder to another using the terminal. for example i wanted to copy all my flacs off my mp3 player and convert them to mp3 because i was running out of space all i had to do was. cd /mp3 player then mv *.flac /outputdirectory so much simpler then locating all the flacs and copying and pasting. what are some other cool uses for the terminal?

You know I never understood in the 21 century why we still use terminal and not GUI.Yes even OS X very easy to use will use terminal for some things.

It seems no one wants to move away from the terminal and use GUI.

I can see may be a recovery terminal .

whatthefunk
June 17th, 2012, 04:02 AM
You know I never understood in the 21 century why we still use terminal and not GUI.Yes even OS X very easy to use will use terminal for some things.

It seems no one wants to move away from the terminal and use GUI.

I dont know about this. Im guessing that 99% of computer users never use the terminal and never want to use the terminal.

As for the OP, I always search for and install new programs through the terminal. It just seems easier to me.

zombifier25
June 17th, 2012, 04:02 AM
You know I never understood in the 21 century why we still use Terminal and not GUI.Yes even OS X very eay to use will use Terminal for some things.

It seems no one wants to move away from the Terminal and use GUI.

"The GUI makes easy tasks easy, while the command line makes difficult tasks possible."

Yes, I agree that the GUI is the future, but sometimes with really difficult tasks, the terminal is much faster. Can you find all files that ends with .flac in a cesspool of directories, convert all of them to .mp3 and automagically moves all of them to a specific directory using the GUI?

MisterGaribaldi
June 17th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Best Things to Use The Terminal For?

Hmmm... typing commands, perhaps?

Given that I don't run Linux on the desktop, what I normally use a terminal for is remote access. I'll do updates and other administrative stuff.

Also, it's great on a Mac for gaining access to the music on your iPod and copying them back off to your computer.

meathdeath
June 17th, 2012, 04:21 AM
For showing how knowledgeable you are of Ubuntu/showing off? Honestly in the latest release there is very little use for the terminal.

Bandit
June 17th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Hmmm... typing commands, perhaps?

LOL :lolflag:

I use the terminal for most of my task. Changing ownership and permissions of files, managing users accounts, moving files and removing them. And compiling programs from source..

I am sure there is much more I use it for. Just to tired to remember.

wolfen69
June 17th, 2012, 06:55 AM
rub one off

sujoy
June 17th, 2012, 07:20 AM
anything other than browsing :D

forrestcupp
June 17th, 2012, 12:40 PM
About the only thing I use the terminal for is for the output to troubleshoot problem apps. I like the GUI better, but the terminal is great for troubleshooting.

hakermania
June 17th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Let me list some things:
1 ) Browsing directories that it is hard to do with a file manager, like nautilus, because of the amount of files that are in there (e.g. /usr/bin/).
2 ) Compiling my programs so as to see with every detail any possible errors.
3 ) Making my bash scripts with nano, because from there, once I finish, i am ready to add the executable bit and execute them, instantly.
4 ) Searching inside of files using grep.
5 ) Finding files with ease, using updatedb with cooperation with locate commands.
6 ) Listening to my music using mpg321 (when I don't use audacious), because it is very lightweight. I control him through unity shortcuts.
7 ) Going to locations more easily, because of the [Tab] function, which auto-completes your sentence.
8 ) Browsing manpages.
9 ) Doing super user actions, like editing files outside $HOME, because I am afraid using nautilus with su privileges!
10 ) Executing programs that misbehave so as to see any possible output that will give me a clue on what the problem is, so as to fix it!