PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 could be the next thing that gets alot of people to move to Linux

nec207
June 17th, 2012, 02:50 AM
I have been reading many of the reports this week in the news on windows 8 and it does not look good for windows at all. This will make alot of people move to Linux ,back to windows XP or get Mac computer.

I'm sure all the Linux people are having their party and yelling and screaming.

reviews on windows 8
http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/15/windows-8-vista/#s:screenshot-3

So do you think this may be the only opportunity in history for the Linux community to get it right.

Some Linux supporters have sign a petition to the antitrust do to most of Microsoft monopoly is do to OEM installed.

wolfen69
June 17th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Meh. Whether linux takes over means nothing to me. I like it/use it, and that's all that matters to me.

Cream rises to the top naturally, so no worries here.

tartalo
June 17th, 2012, 03:14 AM
windows 8 (...)will make alot of people move to Linux ,back to windows XP or get Mac computer.

I'd bet for Windows 7

sudodus
June 17th, 2012, 03:14 AM
So do you think this may be the only opportunity in history for the Linux community to get it right.
Another opportunity will be at end of life of Windows XP, when some people will search for an operating system with security updates for their old computers ;-)

JDShu
June 17th, 2012, 03:27 AM
It's actually more likely that people will decided to stick to Windows 7 the way people stuck with XP, assuming of course that 8 really will be that bad.

nec207
June 17th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Another opportunity will be at end of life of Windows XP, when some people will search for an operating system with security updates for their old computers ;-)

Even if windows stops supporting windows XP ( updates and patches ) I'm sure many business will still use windows XP and even some users that love windows XP but hate the windows vista and windows 7 GUI.

It going be big fight to get people of windows XP. Many still will use it in 5 years from now.

drawkcab
June 17th, 2012, 03:37 AM
I could see them branching into a win7ish desktop version and a win8ish tablet version (that will fail like iphone vs. windows mobile and ipod vs. zune).

nec207
June 17th, 2012, 03:45 AM
I could see them branching into a win7ish desktop version and a win8ish tablet version (that will fail like iphone vs. windows mobile and ipod vs. zune).

Thing is there still alot people that hate windows vista and windows 7 GUI.Yes windows 7 is fast , hardly ever freezes or crashes , better security.

I think in all the years of Microsoft all the different windows the best is windows XP and the second windows 7 and windows 9X in terms of GUI .

The worse OS by Microsoft windows vista than windows ME .

Deepak J
June 17th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Yep

Even I'm a die hard fan of Windows XP followed by Windows 7..

I'm even using Windows XP now and I don't remember the last time I updated it. Well so stopping of updates is not an issue at least in the developing countries like mine..

Dunno how Windows 8 is going to perform...

Heard that there is a lot of useless validation required in installing Windows 8. But if it's better than the above mentioned 2, well then people will start going behind it..

But as mentioned the popularity of Linux OSes are going to increase and I hope that more people are going to switch to Linux kernals..

Well lets wait and see..

nec207
June 17th, 2012, 04:06 AM
But as mentioned the popularity of Linux OSes are going to increase and I hope that more people are going to switch to Linux kernals..

Well lets wait and see..

That is why some Linux supporters have sign a petition to the antitrust do to most of Microsoft monopoly is do to OEM installed

In the proper world people would go to store get computer of choice and OS and GUI of choice .I could even see GUI theme of choice of how one wants it to look and feel.

Bandit
June 17th, 2012, 04:17 AM
It's actually more likely that people will decided to stick to Windows 7 the way people stuck with XP, assuming of course that 8 really will be that bad.

Pretty much this..

I am sure we will see some move to Linux. But the reason many stick with windows isnt because its windows, but because of the software they run require the windows kernel. Like Solidworks CAD software (http://www.solidworks.com/) we use at work. Man if they made a linux version we would be in heaven. But since they dont looks like were staying with Win7.

meathdeath
June 17th, 2012, 04:20 AM
I agree the UI on windows 8 looks terrible for desktop and laptop users. Honestly i think most people will stick with windows 7. XP is getting old now.

SeijiSensei
June 17th, 2012, 04:22 AM
The same arguments were made when Vista was released, with literally no visible effect on Linux adoptions. I'm pretty certain the effect will be minimal again.

I don't know why Linux fans keep thinking that ordinary folks are suddenly going to start installing a new operating system on their computers. It's also a pipe dream to expect that systems with pre-installed Linux will suddenly start appearing at Best Buy instead of computers running Windows 8.

Businesses will either adopt Windows 8 or extend their use of WinXP or Win7 as long as possible. Certainly you can't expect a company with a large installed Windows infrastructure based around things like Active Directory, Office, Sharepoint and Exchange to suddenly switch to Linux.

Consumers are moving more and more toward handhelds and tablets. Linux users like general purpose computers; most consumers prefer appliances and "walled gardens" for software. After decades of dealing with malware and complex software who can blame them. Look at how many "apps" there are that are nothing but a glorified web browser that connects to only one source of content. Rather than using Safari to visit the websites of the New York Times or the NFL on their iPads, people now install the Times app or the NFL app.

The most likely beneficiary of any general reluctance to adopt Windows 8 is Apple.

codingman
June 17th, 2012, 04:22 AM
I don't think this will make people necessarily move to Linux, but Mac. These people will fall for anything that looks "pretty" like macs. It sort of bugs me that people are bragging that windows 8 has a live cd function that linux has basically trademarked over the years. I don't really care whether the whole world uses linux or not, the only thing I do care about is if the people who are using windows or mac start bad-mouthing and commenting about linux, and saying that it's just a terminal, there is no GUI, it's impossible to work with.

MisterGaribaldi
June 17th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Nope, doubt it, because everyone went to both ME and Vista before, so why would they not go to the latest version of "what computers come with"?

You'll never overcome the mindlessness of the masses through producing a superior widget alone. Steve Jobs and Apple learned that the hard way. I'd have thought the Linux community would have learned that by now. But, particularly with the "so long as *my* itch is scratched, I don't care what anyone else uses" mentality, I guess the Linux community isn't really mature enough to learn anything.

Then again, Linux isn't a commercial product, so... at this point, why do any of you even give a crap about this?

codingman
June 17th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Pretty much this..

I am sure we will see some move to Linux. But the reason many stick with windows isnt because its windows, but because of the software they run require the windows kernel. Like Solidworks CAD software (http://www.solidworks.com/) we use at work. Man if they made a linux version we would be in heaven. But since they dont looks like were staying with Win7.

That's pretty bogus on your side I can see...

codingman
June 17th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Nope, doubt it, because everyone went to both ME and Vista before, so why would they not go to the latest version of "what computers come with"?

You'll never overcome the mindlessness of the masses through producing a superior widget alone. Steve Jobs and Apple learned that the hard way. I'd have thought the Linux community would have learned that by now. But, particularly with the "so long as *my* itch is scratched, I don't care what anyone else uses" mentality, I guess the Linux community isn't really mature enough to learn anything.

Then again, Linux isn't a commercial product, so... at this point, why do any of you even give a crap about this?

You totally make the most rock on posts in the cafe...

Mikeb85
June 17th, 2012, 04:57 AM
I dunno how many of you have used Windows 8, but it's already rock solid, runs great, and the metro thing grows on you once you learn to use it. I still use Linux full time, but am also loving W8...

seenthelite
June 17th, 2012, 05:08 AM
In the marketplace, Windows 95 was a major success, and within a year or two[not specific enough to verify] of its release had become the most successful operating system ever produced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95

I do not see this being repeated with Windows 8, my advice is if someone wants a new computer with Windows installed, is buy before it is too late.:)

Bandit
June 17th, 2012, 05:08 AM
That's pretty bogus on your side I can see...

Why do you say that? And what are you really saying? I am having a hard time following you.

KiwiNZ
June 17th, 2012, 05:11 AM
This thread gives me déjà vu, and no Win 8 will not influence Linux updake

seenthelite
June 17th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Why do you say that? And what are you really saying? I am having a hard time following you.

Good questions, I was wondering what he was on about as well.;)

MisterGaribaldi
June 17th, 2012, 05:21 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95

I do not see this being repeated with Windows 8, my advice is if someone wants a new computer with Windows installed, is buy before it is too late.:)

How can Microsoft top world domination? I mean, I guess they could start shipping computers to the Moon and Mars, and *that* would make them even more widely-distributed, or they could pay NASA to build another Voyager-type probe mission and then fly a Windows computer out of the solar system and have the most far-ranging OS ever from a geographic perspective, but I mean, really? Come on.

Besides, this isn't the 1980s or early 1990s any longer. There's to all intents and purposes only two OS options out there: Windows, or Mac OS X. Period. They destroyed all the other platform makers except for Apple, and they beat Apple in numbers. And, Windows 95 capped this achievement off. Old news.

nec207
June 17th, 2012, 05:23 AM
I don't think this will make people necessarily move to Linux, but Mac. These people will fall for anything that looks "pretty" like macs. It sort of bugs me that people are bragging that windows 8 has a live cd function that linux has basically trademarked over the years. I don't really care whether the whole world uses linux or not, the only thing I do care about is if the people who are using windows or mac start bad-mouthing and commenting about linux, and saying that it's just a terminal, there is no GUI, it's impossible to work with.

I think that do to in past in the 90's Linux was big on terminal and not easy to use.

The truth is most computer illiterate people would not know what widows 8 looks like to they bring there new computer home and say why does this not look like windows 7 and how do I do this or that.

Again OEM is what going to push new computers out with windows 8 and does matter if you like it or not you got new computer and windows 8 on it and so you have use it or install windows 7 or windows XP .

You'll never overcome the mindlessness of the masses through producing a superior widget alone. Steve Jobs and Apple learned that the hard way.

What did Steve Jobs learn the hard way.

I'd have thought the Linux community would have learned that by now. But, particularly with the "so long as *my* itch is scratched, I don't care what anyone else uses" mentality, I guess the Linux community isn't really mature enough to learn anything.

No linux is not a commercial product it could be or it could be a commercial product of being free.I'm sure most would not mind going to store and paying $2 on OS and GUI they like or getting OS and GUI they like for free.

Problem is 95% of people do not know what Linux is or what it can do or could do more.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
June 17th, 2012, 05:35 AM
same thing that happened with vista will just repeat it is proven history (maybe boost mac sales by a small percentage)
unless linux system are sold pre-installed in mainstream retail stores it wont happen
example of how the average person is:
can you google such and such for me
can you show me how to use google maps
can you install updates for me
i am sure we all know someone who ask this kind of stuff

MisterGaribaldi
June 17th, 2012, 05:49 AM
The summer breeze warms
new ways to beat a dead horse
which some call Metro.

wolfen69
June 17th, 2012, 06:19 AM
This thread gives me déjà vu, and no Win 8 will not influence Linux updake

What's updake?

MisterGaribaldi
June 17th, 2012, 06:23 AM
What's updake?

The opposite of downdake. Must be a New Zealander thing.

wolfen69
June 17th, 2012, 06:29 AM
The opposite of downdake.

What's downdake? :confused:

Mikeb85
June 17th, 2012, 07:33 AM
What's updake?

Uptake with a typo...

Shadius
June 17th, 2012, 07:40 AM
:lolflag: That was hilarious.

alexfish
June 17th, 2012, 07:44 AM
+1

People need BOTH

There is More Than Both

As Long As They are Secure

Tombgeek
June 17th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Unless a lot of advertising is done by the major Linux companies (Canonical and Red Hat), not many people are going to be interested in Linux.

I predict that Windows 8/RT will be huge on the tablet. I believe that, against all odds, Microsoft has created something incredible for the tablet market. While I'll still prefer Android (although I personally don't see a need for a tablet), I do think MS created an OS that may be better than iOS. The problems MS faces are getting developers interested in developing apps and then getting existing iPad users interested.

On the desktop, I predict people will most definitely stay on Windows 7 or move to a Mac (though why one needs to move to a new OS if the one they use currently works well for them is beyond me). A few will come to Ubuntu or Linux Mint because Macs are out of their price range, but don't count on a huge flock.

It's not that Windows 8 is inherently bad, it's just not designed for the desktop. Microsoft is just shooting themselves in the foot by making this stupid decision to have one unified interface. The only people who will use Windows 8 are geeks who want everything to be new and shiny and can't handle having an OS that is a few years old.

nothingspecial
June 17th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Thread moved to Recurring.

alexfish
June 17th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Unless a lot of advertising is done by the major Linux companies (Canonical and Red Hat), not many people are going to be interested in Linux.

I predict that Windows 8/RT will be huge on the tablet. I believe that, against all odds, Microsoft has created something incredible for the tablet market. While I'll still prefer Android (although I personally don't see a need for a tablet), I do think MS created an OS that may be better than iOS. The problems MS faces are getting developers interested in developing apps and then getting existing iPad users interested.

On the desktop, I predict people will most definitely stay on Windows 7 or move to a Mac (though why one needs to move to a new OS if the one they use currently works well for them is beyond me). A few will come to Ubuntu or Linux Mint because Macs are out of their price range, but don't count on a huge flock.

It's not that Windows 8 is inherently bad, it's just not designed for the desktop. Microsoft is just shooting themselves in the foot by making this stupid decision to have one unified interface. The only people who will use Windows 8 are geeks who want everything to be new and shiny and can't handle having an OS that is a few years old.

All Can Help

What Do YOU SAY

Regards

AlexFish.

alexfish
June 17th, 2012, 08:00 AM
thread moved to recurring.

what

phosphide
June 17th, 2012, 08:02 AM
What is it about Windows 8 (from the preview) that suggests people will go to Mac's? I'm talking about specifics.

KiwiNZ
June 17th, 2012, 09:18 AM
What's updake?

Only being able to type with two fingers on one hand due to medical reason means I will make the
Odd mistake............. Sue me

zombifier25
June 17th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Typical Windows user: "I hate this interface", then sits down to learn it.
Typical Linux user: "I hate this interface", then installs another DE.
Typical Ubuntu user: "I hate this interface", then starts ranting on public forums.

So no, it will not convert Windows users to Linux.

nec207
June 17th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I think that do to in past in the 90's Linux was big on terminal and not easy to use.

The truth is most computer illiterate people would not know what widows 8 looks like to they bring there new computer home and say why does this not look like windows 7 and how do I do this or that.

Again OEM is what going to push new computers out with windows 8 and does matter if you like it or not you got new computer and windows 8 on it and so you have use it or install windows 7 or windows XP .

What did Steve Jobs learn the hard way.

No linux is not a commercial product it could be or it could be a commercial product of being free.I'm sure most would not mind going to store and paying $2 on OS and GUI they like or getting OS and GUI they like for free.

Problem is 95% of people do not know what Linux is or what it can do or could do more.

same thing that happened with vista will just repeat it is proven history (maybe boost mac sales by a small percentage)
unless linux system are sold pre-installed in mainstream retail stores it wont happen
example of how the average person is:
can you google such and such for me
can you show me how to use google maps
can you install updates for me
i am sure we all know someone who ask this kind of stuff

sorry but what does that have to do with my reply above?

fballem
June 17th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Many large companies that currently run Windows XP are in the process of converting to Windows 7 before Microsoft totally drops support for XP - which I think is in 2014. There is so much infrastructure in place (Active Directory, Exchange, and Sharepoint for example) that they are unlikely to consider switching from Microsoft. Windows 7 is a relatively easy learning curve for XP users. Windows 8 is not released yet, and large companies need to do a lot of testing - and some application remediation - in order to be sure that something works.

The users in those large companies, particularly those who are able to work from home, are likely to continue working in Microsoft's world because they need to. If the company supplies them with a computer - such as a corporate laptop - then it will be configured with Windows (likely Windows 7 to match the corporate standard). If the user uses their own PC, then the company will eventually have to support access through Windows 8 - likely through a Virtual Machine like Citrix. This is because their users will buy new PCs from time to time and those PCs will come installed with Windows 8.

Smaller companies may have more flexibility in terms of what they choose, but they are constrained by support issues. They don't always have sufficient IT knowledge in-house to look at non-Microsoft / non-Apple solutions. External support organisations are geared to commercial solutions - mostly Microsoft / Apple - so that's what many small businesses are going to look at.

From what I have been reading on various forums and elsewhere, there are pockets that are able to look at Linux solutions (Red Hat, Ubuntu, etc.) Many of these seem to be in the developing world - where the Microsoft infrastructure is not as well established - and in governmental organisations - where there are policies mandating a more open source approach.

In my case, I switched because of Vista / Office 2010. Vista was unreliable and I couldn't get used to the Office 2010 interface. From what I'm hearing, Windows 8 seems to be very stable and many people are not Office power users, so the interface seems to work well for them. This is not likely to encourage people to change.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a huge uptake of Linux because of Windows 8.I think the best shot for Linux is likely in our existing pockets - there is significant population growth in the developing world and governments seem to be getting bigger and more intrusive. Those of us in the developed world will need to become more capable in open source if we want to expand our markets - which we are likely going to have to do given the current state of the economy.

My two cents,

Erik1984
June 17th, 2012, 11:42 AM

Because 'we' like to debate, the same reason why you reply on this thread probably :P

Paqman
June 17th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I don't think it'll have any real impact, same as Vista. Personal users will either adapt to the new interface on the desktop or skip it and use their Win 7 downgrade option, or just stay on Win 7. Enterprise will probably stay on Win 7. Win 8 will probably be really popular on tablets and the like.

Nothing to jump up and down about. Lame duck Windows releases aren't what the Linux desktop needs. We need well designed, well supported, well marketed hardware with the OS preinstalled.

MisterGaribaldi
June 17th, 2012, 05:18 PM
In my experience, very few people out there buy a computer with any given version of Windows because of it having that specific "release" of Windows on it. Rather, they buy a computer because they either want or need a computer just then.

The notion that Windows 8 is somehow going to attract new converts is absolutely ridiculous. As I said before, most people don't know or care enough to know more than they're buying a computer with "what ever it is that makes it work" and that is the mentality that we must attempt to understand here. I recognize that such a mentality runs completely counter to the mentality of nearly all Linux users, but that is a function of personal interest as much as it is any element of technological literacy.

Besides, and I know I am repeating myself here, but how does Microsoft "get new converts"? The only places they can convert people from our Mac users, most of whom for various reasons are prejudiced against Microsoft in the first place, or Linux users who can effectively have the same thing said about them as well. This, then, leaves them with as yet under-saturated markets such as the third world. Because there are some number of countries out there which have established open-source as a de facto or de jure policy, unless Microsoft can reverse that, they will become increasingly hostile to, presumably, any non-Linux/non-F/OSS product or solution, but those instances are in the minority.

misfitpierce
June 17th, 2012, 05:29 PM
In terms of use on the computer... yeah I dunno about windows 8... In terms of tablet/phone? sure why not...

I used to absolutely hate Microsoft and Apple... Apple I still hate for the patent BS but that said... I now use Windows Phone 7 and havent used windows on a pc for years. Windows phone 7 is nice and I think Win8 will be nice for mobile.

What I'm getting at basically is I can see it being alright on a computer if you have one thing...

A touch screen monitor... It just seems more mobile orientated.

wolfen69
June 20th, 2012, 06:27 AM
In my experience, very few people out there buy a computer with any given version of Windows because of it having that specific "release" of Windows on it. Rather, they buy a computer because they either want or need a computer just then.

I don't mean to dismiss the rest of what you had to say, but that pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.

I think we as geeks give the general public too much credit, when in reality, they don't care about OS's, DE's, versions, upgrades, and whatever else. I see it it now. People just want stuff to work.

Shadius
June 20th, 2012, 06:39 AM
People just want stuff to work.

Agreed. I hear that a lot from people. "Just make it work!"

kellemes
June 20th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I think we as geeks give the general public too much credit, when in reality, they don't care about OS's, DE's, versions, upgrades, and whatever else. I see it it now. People just want stuff to work.

Indeed.. and Windows (whatever version) and Mac OS X generally does, at least for the general public.. Personally I've been using Linux for ages and I love it, but I have specific demands for my environment that Windows cannot provide and.. I'm a geek.
I don't see people massively moving to Linux ever.. but who cares.

nec207
June 21st, 2012, 06:06 PM
Microsoft has massive share do to OEM installed. They pay alot of money to hardware makers to put windows on .

And unless Linux do some thing about it it will never seee 15% market share.

bencouve
June 21st, 2012, 06:23 PM
Well, I was using windows 7 and have just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop. Found the processor would start racing for no reason with windows 7. Granted, I had not bought a virus checker for over a year so who knows what I had running in the background. As long as everything continues to work will be using Ubuntu for a long time. Visa was terrible...

nec207
June 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM
Well, I was using windows 7 and have just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop. Found the processor would start racing for no reason with windows 7. Granted, I had not bought a virus checker for over a year so who knows what I had running in the background. As long as everything continues to work will be using Ubuntu for a long time. Visa was terrible...

That is the problem with Linux it is not easy or simple to use for your mom ,dad or kid. So most likely it be like windows vista where many people downgraded to windows XP or moved to Mac . And the small % that are computer geeks moved to Linux.

Same thing is going to happen to the Linux community do some thing here to make Linux easy or simple to use like windows or OS X.

Mikeb85
June 22nd, 2012, 06:01 AM
That is the problem with Linux it is not easy or simple to use for your mom ,dad or kid. So most likely it be like windows vista where many people downgraded to windows XP or moved to Mac . And the small % that are computer geeks moved to Linux.

Same thing is going to happen to the Linux community do some thing here to make Linux easy or simple to use like windows or OS X.

Linux actually is easy, once people realize that it's not the same as Windows. My wife can barely use an iPhone, yet can use our computer just fine (openSUSE 12.1 KDE). Granted, I did set things up to be easy, but she can do everything she needs/wants without any help from me... It's also ultra stable, fast, and I don't have to worry about her downloading something that will put a virus on it.

3rdalbum
June 23rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
So most likely it be like windows vista where many people downgraded to windows XP or moved to Mac . And the small % that are computer geeks moved to Linux.

Unlike you, I was around in the Linux community at the time of Vista. A lot of people downgraded to XP (bleh!) but the people who switched to Linux were definitely NOT geeks. If they were geeks, they would have already made the switch before Vista.

Windows 8 is a much bigger change than Vista. It'll be a disaster for users and developers as Windows 8 is not very backwards-compatible. Linux will slice off another couple of percent of marketshare once Windows 8 comes about.

Not a massive amount, but probably 2% or 3%. We'll nearly double our userbase over the next two years.

Really? I'm still waiting for Windows to become as easy to use as Ubuntu. When it does, I'd be tempted to dual-boot. My partner is not very good with computers AT ALL and I've seen the kinds of trouble she gets into with Windows 7.

Paqman
June 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Not a massive amount, but probably 2% or 3%. We'll nearly double our userbase over the next two years.

Oooh, someone willing to throw out a solid prediction, nice! Quoted so you can't retcon it ;)

I hope you're right. Personally I don't think it'll make any difference at all. I reckon we'll be at about 1.8% in two years according to Wikimedia (http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm), given our usual growth rate of about 0.1% per year.

nec207
June 23rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Unlike you, I was around in the Linux community at the time of Vista. A lot of people downgraded to XP (bleh!) but the people who switched to Linux were definitely NOT geeks. If they were geeks, they would have already made the switch before Vista.

May be hardcore geeks but not other geeks . Most non geeks ( 90% people ) do not know what Linux is or how to format and reinstall windows that alone Linux or how to get hardware device to work with out reading the printed instructions.

Most 90% people only know how to use Ofiice , IE and how to turn the computer on and off and that is it .

The other people that know little more about computers are only into games and office and that is it.

Windows 8 is a much bigger change than Vista. It'll be a disaster for users and developers as Windows 8 is not very backwards-compatible. Linux will slice off another couple of percent of marketshare once Windows 8 comes about.

Linux has community developers and they do it for free. The other developers for windows and Apple do it for profit.

A 2% or 3% will not do any thing to Microsoft monoply.

Really? I'm still waiting for Windows to become as easy to use as Ubuntu. When it does, I'd be tempted to dual-boot. My partner is not very good with computers AT ALL and I've seen the kinds of trouble she gets into with Windows 7.

Windows and OS X has very good plug and play with devices and that not the case with Linux.

There is also alot of configuration after clean install with Linux and well this not the case with Windows and OS X that is built for out of box use for the average person.

Most other Linux out there are not simple to use like Puppy Linux or linux mint.

3rdalbum
June 24th, 2012, 11:12 AM
A 2% or 3% will not do any thing to Microsoft monopoly.

You're forgetting Apple, and the long-term picture.

Windows and OS X has very good plug and play with devices and that not the case with Linux.

There is also alot of configuration after clean install with Linux and well this not the case with Windows

If Windows has very good plug and play, well, I've never seen it. In my experience, it's "plug, and Windows insists it can get a driver for the device, wait fifteen minutes, it fails, install the driver from the CD instead".

Mac OS X only really has drivers for Apple hardware and the USB standards (UVC, USB Mass Storage, USB HID). Linux has a very wide range of drivers that really do work as soon as you plug in the device.

I don't see what configuration is necessary after a clean install of Ubuntu. Installing codecs and DVD playback is pretty easy, and Windows doesn't come with all codecs anyway so you always need to grab a few from random websites. Windows 8 will also not ship with DVD playback capability.

If "configuration" means "installing codecs", then you have to do so on Windows, Mac and Ubuntu. I don't believe the Mac OS comes with support for Windows Media formats, but I may be wrong.

Carborundum
June 24th, 2012, 12:06 PM
If Windows has very good plug and play, well, I've never seen it. In my experience, it's "plug, and Windows insists it can get a driver for the device, wait fifteen minutes, it fails, install the driver from the CD instead".

Mac OS X only really has drivers for Apple hardware and the USB standards (UVC, USB Mass Storage, USB HID). Linux has a very wide range of drivers that really do work as soon as you plug in the device.

I don't see what configuration is necessary after a clean install of Ubuntu. Installing codecs and DVD playback is pretty easy, and Windows doesn't come with all codecs anyway so you always need to grab a few from random websites. Windows 8 will also not ship with DVD playback capability.

If "configuration" means "installing codecs", then you have to do so on Windows, Mac and Ubuntu. I don't believe the Mac OS comes with support for Windows Media formats, but I may be wrong.
This is my experience as well. A few months ago I reinstalled Windows 7 on a run-of-the-mill Asus laptop, and installed Ubuntu alongside it at the same time. WiFi worked out of the box on Ubuntu, but not on Windows. That may or may not be atypical; as of right now it's the only point of reference I have.

As for codecs, if you try to play a file on Ubuntu but lack the correct codec, you will be asked if you would like to download ubuntu-restricted-extras. Click "Yes", and you will be up and running a minute later. On Windows you would instead get some unhelpful error message and be expected to find, download and install the necessary codecs yourself.

codingman
June 25th, 2012, 12:01 AM

I'm saying that you probably don't like that, no?