PDA

View Full Version : jquery ui autocomplete remote not returning usable json data

cdaringe
June 16th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Hi all:

I wish to have an autocomplete feature on my site that dynamically requires requeries my MySQL database as the user enters in information.

I have my main html/php/js page the looking like this:

<script type="text/javascript">

$(function() {

var test =[{"label":"AAA","value":"A"},{"label":"CEEZ ON MY KNEES!","value":"C"},{"label":"DDeeeS","value":"D"},{"label":"DAVES FAVORITE PART","value":"DAVE"},{"label":"BLAH","value":"B"},{"label":"HELLO FRIENDS","value":"02-2223"},{"label":"little chiuauauas","value":"04-1234"},{"label":"DOS PUPPIES","value":"05-2342"},{"label":"UNOS PEPITOS","value":"11-1111"},{"label":"FUNTIMES","value":"02-1235"}];

$( "#pn" ).autocomplete({
//source: "./search.php"
source: test
});
});
</script>

This works! But that var, 'test', is static. Ironically enough, the search.php page generated that very bock of test, but i manually copied and pasted it's output into the js here, with a preceding "var test = ...;". So, when I uncomment source: "./search.php" (confirmed, file does exist in the same dir), and also comment out "source: test", why does the autocomplete run unsuccessfully? I know the query is good, because I already tested output!

search.php:

<?php

$term=strtoupper($_GET['term']);

$query = "SELECT pn,description FROM item WHERE CONCAT(description,pn) LIKE '%".$term."%' LIMIT 10";
$result = mysql_query($query);

while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
$jsonItems['label']=$row['pn']."::".$row['description'];
$jsonItems['value']=$row['pn'];
$pn_queries[]=$jsonItems;
}
//json_encode($jsonItems);
print json_encode($pn_queries);

?>