PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Ethernet

moocow1452
June 16th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I've started to horde old laptops as a new hobby, my main one being sold to for capital*for a PayPal thing I wanted to do, and needing something else to work with, some friends were trading up, hard drive failed on a Dell that needed a special IDE, warehouses were cleaned out, I found myself with 3 okay computers on hand. Being that I can get them all hardlined to one another and run linux on all of them for the time being, is there any sort of structure I could use to slave them to each other, so I could maybe use one as external display, borrow ports, maybe a lan based Dropbox solution, or any other stuffs I could do to make them more then the sum of their parts? As much as I like the idea of working on a couple different tasks with the only lag being travel time, I figure I may not get another chance to do some networking like this for a while and wanted to play it up.

moocow1452
June 22nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
Gonna bump this one with more parameters, what cool stuff can I do with two or three laptops with Linux that I could do with multiple monitors, like screen and folder share, slaving one to the other and entering it like an ssh terminal, or am I just putting pie in the sky stuff out there?

CharlesA
June 22nd, 2012, 11:18 PM
NFS is always fun..

moocow1452
June 23rd, 2012, 01:33 AM
Did some basic Google fu, something like a computer running itself as a NAS? Or is this more of a PXE sort of thing where you can run a client off a server computer, but have them as one chained unit as opposed to virtualizing a system for the client?