PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 live upgrade failed, Now I can't run Ubuntu

tlhodgson
June 16th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Hi all,

I am/was running 11.10 alongside Win 7 on a Dell Inspiron 1564. I tried a live upgrade (through the update manager over a wireless connection) to 12.04. All went well until the actual installation began, at which point it locked up. I left it in its "locked up" position all night thinking it was just taking a long time to install the upgrade. No luck. All I could do was shut down the computer. Now when I try to start the computer, I get to the menu page to select either Ubuntu 12.04 or Win 7. I select Ubuntu, and I get the following screen:

plymouth: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /lib/libply.so.2)
[219.100738] init: plymouth main process (1223) terminated with status 1
mountall: /lib/x86-64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 version 'GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /lib/libply.so.2)
[219.319817] init: mountall main process (1231) terminated with status 1
[219.326028] init: plymouth-stop pre-start process (1235) terminated with status 1
General error mounting file systems.
A maintenance shell will now be started.
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and reboot the system
root@terry-Inspiron-1564:~#

So my questions are:
1) What does this mean?
2) How do I fix this so that I can at least run 11.10 again, and preferably finish the upgrade to 12.04? Is there a series of commands I can run to assist the process? If so, please fill me in.
3) Is there a way not to lose the files I had on the computer previously while completing this process?

Thanks for your help. Sorry if this is a repeat of other posts. I have tried searching and can't find an exact match for my situation.

Terry

black veils
June 16th, 2012, 10:23 AM
regarding your files, you should be able to retrieve them via the ubuntu live cd/usb.

1. boot into the live environment, using the Try option, not install.

2. open the Home icon which should be on the desktop (or search file in the dash). you want to open the file manager, Nautilus.

3. in the left pane, you should see some drives/devices which state size in GB's. click the one which is your system, this will mount it.

4. find your files, and copy-paste them to another usb flash drive.

5. safely remove/unmount/eject the backup usb flash drive.

tlhodgson
June 16th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Great idea. Thanks! Don't know why I didn't think of that. Much appreciated. I'll give it a try and let you know how it worked out.

darkod
June 17th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Try to boot the entry that says recovery mode. If that works it will present you with a simple menu.
Select network to activate the internet (if it doesn't work with your wi-fi connect the computer with a cable to the router).
Then from the same menu select Drop to root shell.

That should load the shell as root. Try to execute:

apt-get install -f
dpkg --configure -a

That will try to fix all packages that weren't upgraded. With little luck it will work and finish off the upgrade process.

tlhodgson
June 17th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Darko, Thanks for the help. I have tried a similar procedure to this, without the "apt get" command. I did try to the dpkg command and that had no effect at all. But I'll give this a try to see if it works and let you know.

vibrunazo
June 30th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Try to boot the entry that says recovery mode. If that works it will present you with a simple menu.
Select network to activate the internet (if it doesn't work with your wi-fi connect the computer with a cable to the router).

apt-get install -f
dpkg --configure -a

That will try to fix all packages that weren't upgraded. With little luck it will work and finish off the upgrade process.Hello, I have a similar problem. But when I try 'dpkg --configure -a' I get an error message saying the file system is on read only state. What can I do?

darkod
June 30th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Hello, I have a similar problem. But when I try 'dpkg --configure -a' I get an error message saying the file system is on read only state. What can I do?

Make sure you click the Network option in the recovery menu first, that activates the network and makes the system read-write.

dvjunk
July 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM
A few days ago I started the 12.04 upgrade on my Mythbuntu System (amd64). I walked away and some time later the power went out. After several days of power cycling/brown outs etc I tried booting my system and it wouldn't boot. I got a similar message as the original poster... (not copy/paste, so I may not have it exactly correct)
mountall: /lib/x86-64-linix-gnu/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /lib/libply.so.2)
General error mounting filesystems
A maintenance shell will now be started

I was able to boot to a 12.04 liveCD
I tried Install to see the options (I was hoping for a repair existing, but no luck) and it gave the option to install 12.04 alongside 12.04, so It looks like it got ate least partialy installed.
I was able to read the files on my 25GB boot partition, but it couldn't mount my 215GB partition. I did a
sudo fsck -f /dev/sda6
and then was able to mount the 215GB.

When I try to boot to recovery and run several iterations of apt-get I keep getting
Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
When I look at the /var path the only thing in there is cache
so there is no /var/lib/dpkg/lock

I tried darkod's suggestion to use recovery, select network etc,
but when I select network I get
modem-manager ...snip...
Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

What do I do to fix this?

Thanks for the help! I have searched for other posts, but this one seems the closest to my problem.

rtega
August 30th, 2012, 04:12 PM
The answer probably is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1983533&page=3

horizon12
November 4th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Hello all,

I have the same problem as tlhodgson (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1012640) described in the beginning of this thread (I have also installed ubuntu and win7 in parallel). I wanted to follow the suggestion following below. However, the first problem occured when I selected network to activate the internet. I think this worked when I connected it to the cabel becuae the message changed to "...eth0: link becomes ready"

further messages were:

nm-dispatcher.action: Script '/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/01ifupdown' exited with error status 1.
/etcdhcp/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/samba: line 46: /etc/samba/dhcp.conf.new: Read-only file system
/etcdhcp/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/samba: line 61: /etc/samba/dhcp.conf.new: Read-only file system
mv: cannot stsat ' /etc/samba/dhcp.conf.new': No such file or directory RTNETLINK answers: File exists

... then it looks in this position and I cannot do anything further ...

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks a lot.

apt-get install -f
dpkg --configure -aThat will try to fix all packages that weren't upgraded. With little luck it will work and finish off the upgrade process.

darkod
November 4th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Hello all,

I have the same problem as tlhodgson (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1012640) described in the beginning of this thread (I have also installed ubuntu and win7 in parallel). I wanted to follow the suggestion following below. However, the first problem occured when I selected network to activate the internet. I think this worked when I connected it to the cabel becuae the message changed to "...eth0: link becomes ready"

further messages were:

nm-dispatcher.action: Script '/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/01ifupdown' exited with error status 1.
/etcdhcp/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/samba: line 46: /etc/samba/dhcp.conf.new: Read-only file system
/etcdhcp/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/samba: line 61: /etc/samba/dhcp.conf.new: Read-only file system
mv: cannot stsat ' /etc/samba/dhcp.conf.new': No such file or directory RTNETLINK answers: File exists

... then it looks in this position and I cannot do anything further ...

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks a lot.

Instead of selecting Network first, select Drop to root shell right away. In the shell try:

mount -o remount,rw /

Then the two commands posted earlier.

joyvinod
February 5th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Hi all,

I am/was running 11.10 alongside Win 7 on a Dell Inspiron 1564. I tried a live upgrade (through the update manager over a wireless connection) to 12.04. All went well until the actual installation began, at which point it locked up. I left it in its "locked up" position all night thinking it was just taking a long time to install the upgrade. No luck. All I could do was shut down the computer. Now when I try to start the computer, I get to the menu page to select either Ubuntu 12.04 or Win 7. I select Ubuntu, and I get the following screen:

plymouth: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /lib/libply.so.2)
[219.100738] init: plymouth main process (1223) terminated with status 1
mountall: /lib/x86-64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 version 'GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /lib/libply.so.2)
[219.319817] init: mountall main process (1231) terminated with status 1
[219.326028] init: plymouth-stop pre-start process (1235) terminated with status 1
General error mounting file systems.
A maintenance shell will now be started.
root@terry-Inspiron-1564:~#

So my questions are:
1) What does this mean?
2) How do I fix this so that I can at least run 11.10 again, and preferably finish the upgrade to 12.04? Is there a series of commands I can run to assist the process? If so, please fill me in.
3) Is there a way not to lose the files I had on the computer previously while completing this process?

Thanks for your help. Sorry if this is a repeat of other posts. I have tried searching and can't find an exact match for my situation.

Terry

Hi tlhodgson,

I am facing same issue, so which suggestion worked for you? Can you summarize the solution?

darkod
February 5th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Hi tlhodgson,

I am facing same issue, so which suggestion worked for you? Can you summarize the solution?

You already have the suggestion here. Do the drop to root shell procedure, remount as read-write, and run the two commands in post #4. See if that helps you.

joyvinod
February 8th, 2013, 07:39 PM
You already have the suggestion here. Do the drop to root shell procedure, remount as read-write, and run the two commands in post #4. See if that helps you.

Actaully I also have a dual boot machine ubuntu and Win7. I am worried if I do this weather it will affect my win7 or not. will it be dual after I perform the steps mentioned here. That is why i am interested to hear from original poster, what is his experience about this

darkod
February 8th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Actaully I also have a dual boot machine ubuntu and Win7. I am worried if I do this weather it will affect my win7 or not. will it be dual after I perform the steps mentioned here. That is why i am interested to hear from original poster, what is his experience about this

The commands in post #4 only try to finish configuring the packages from the point when the upgrade was interrupted, and fix any broken packages.

It does not affect windows at all, it doesn't do any repartitioning, nothing. You have to have really, really bad luck for this to mess up your windows. :)

benTheLightman
April 29th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Thanks for suggestions, this worked like a charm!

mount -o remount,rw /
dpkg --configure -A
apt-get install -f
dpkg --configure -A

Thanks everybody