PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't log in to gnome shell anymore

grw
June 16th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Hi,

I have ubuntu 12.04 and a fairly new computer. I installed gnome shell, and I used to be able to login to that fine. But now I just get the fallback gnome 2.

Gnome shell used to run without the ATI/AMD FGLRX graphics driver installed. But even if I install the driver, gnome shell doesn't work.

I have Fedora 15 on my computer as well. This uses the gnome shell.

Any ideas how I get the gnome shell back for use with Ubuntu 12.04?

Gwyn

grw
June 17th, 2012, 04:11 AM
bump...

grw
June 23rd, 2012, 05:28 AM
Anyone have any ideas? How to I get out of fallback mode and get gnome 3D back again?

nldquy
June 30th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I had exactly the same problem. I installed Ubuntu - gnome-shell on a i5 Ivy CPU, all works fine. After that, I replace with an Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 -> It fall back to gnome-session. I though the old driver for i5 is out of date so I tried to re-install the Ubuntu again. It still back to gnome-session. There's no gnome-shell anymore.

I tried to install cinnamon also, cinanmon cannot start as well. All are gnome-session & unity.

Does anyone have any idea?

nldquy
July 18th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Yeah, I had exactly the same problem. I installed Ubuntu - gnome-shell on a i5 Ivy CPU, all works fine. After that, I replace with an Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 -> It fall back to gnome-session. I though the old driver for i5 is out of date so I tried to re-install the Ubuntu again. It still back to gnome-session. There's no gnome-shell anymore.

I tried to install cinnamon also, cinanmon cannot start as well. All are gnome-session & unity.

Does anyone have any idea?

any help?