PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] solid state hard drives

jmore9
June 15th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I am thinking about purchasing another 1tb hard drive, but before i get all into these large drives i would like to know if anyone has any idea if they last as long as the disk ones. They are and will be used just as the disk ones no special setups.

AnotherMuggle
June 15th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I am thinking about purchasing another 1tb hard drive, but before i get all into these large drives i would like to know if anyone has any idea if they last as long as the disk ones. They are and will be used just as the disk ones no special setups.

1TB solid state, really? :-o

jmore9
June 15th, 2012, 05:02 PM
The size matters , who cares what the size is ? The question was about solid state drives . Where does your post contribute anything to it ? Thanks for sharing !

Grenage
June 15th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Generally yes, although mechanical drives can last 5 minutes or 15+ years. While I use SSD in every machine, for large storage instances, where latency is not a concern, I'm still using mechanicals.

Bottom line: SSDs are (bad batches excluded) in my opinion, much more reliable than mechanicals.

jmore9
June 15th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I have found and read these , and the one i have works ok same as the others. But i have read that there is a maximum read write total that if exceeded the memory starts to fail, that is what i am looking at before i shell out and change over to solid state drives.

There are what i have found so with good info :

There is this , but nothing on how it should last. As long as a disk one ?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=256068

And then we have this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Comparison_of_SSD_with_hard_disk_drive s

Again there is nothing about how long they would last against disk drives in normal usage as disk drives are used today. There must be someone who has some experience with the lifespan of ssd drives and disk dives out there.

And thanks for your reply just trying to make the best use of my limited funds. I think after all this research ( about a week of googling and not finding much about the time of use failure compared to disks i will just comtuine to use the disks and wait and see what the one ssd i have does . See if it lasts as long as the disks.

AnotherMuggle
June 15th, 2012, 06:52 PM
The size matters , who cares what the size is ? The question was about solid state drives . Where does your post contribute anything to it ? Thanks for sharing !

Not many people have 2-3K to throw at storage...hence my previous post. That was an act of genuine surpise!

Intel are the current general recommendation for SSD but I don't think they do a model as large as 1TB.

I believe SSD's estimated lifespan is improving but I would still stick with mechanical for storage as large as 1TB.

If it were me I'd be looking at the Western Digital Black drives. 5yr warranty and excellent performance (for a mechanical drive).

TK.