PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Eclipse/Tomcat Question

Dan Again
June 15th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I just got Tomcat up and running with Eclipse and everything seems to be working more or less fine, but I'm having one annoying problem. When I point my browser to http://localhost:8080 I get the Tomcat Welcome page, and I can even navigate to the Document and Example pages, but if I try to go any farther than that (i.e. viewing an actual document or example or trying to access the Manager application), I get a Tomcat 404 error. Where is Tomcat looking for its local web files?

greenpeace
June 15th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Where is Tomcat looking for its local web files?

Hi Dan,

I am running tomcat6 on Ubuntu 12.04 - and on my machine the actual (ie. mine) applications are deployed in:

/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/

the host-manager application runs from here:

/usr/share/tomcat6-admin/host-manager

hope that helps!

Dan Again
June 15th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks for your reply. All the Tomcat docs, examples, etc are in /usr/share at the moment. So I went in to /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps and there was a ROOT folder in there. In the same folder as ROOT, I put the docs and examples folder, but I am still getting the same 404 error.

BTW, within /usr/share, the docs and example files are within tomcat7-docs and tomcat7-examples, respectively. Within each of those folders are folders entitled docs and examples. What I moved into /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps was just the docs and examples folders, as when I mouse over a specific document on the Tomcat Documents homepage it shows the URL as localhost:8080/docs/nameofdoc.

Dan Again
June 16th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Bump

r-senior
June 16th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I'd always recommend a simple unpacked archive of Tomcat in your home directory when using it for development, particularly when trying to control it from Eclipse or Netbeans. It saves all sorts of problems with permissions compared to the repository version.

EDIT - Instructions in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1606162&highlight=tomcat

Dan Again
June 16th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Well, I appreciate your reply, but I'd like to try to figure out my current situation rather than getting myself involved in a new one.

The Tomcat homepage, which I am able to access, says that it is located at /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/ROOT/index.html, but when I edit that file, I do not see a change in the localhost:8080 page. Isn't there some way I can actually see where the webpage is coming from, like from within my browser or something?

greenpeace
June 18th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Hi!

I just tested installing tomcat7, and the index.html page suggested that I install the following packages to include the docs, examples and admin applications.

tomcat7-docs
tomcat7-examples
tomcat7-admin

Once they were installed I was able to access everything... have you installed these packages?

Dan Again
June 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Yes, I did have those files with my previous installation. While trying to "fix" this problem, I somehow borked my Tomcat installation and had to reinstall. I followed r-senior's advice, did a manual install and now have access to he web apps.