PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update to 12.04 does not upgrade kernel

Jzz5
June 15th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hi all,

I've searched around but could not find an appropriate answer. Yesterday I upgraded my production machine to 12.04. All went well, except for the kernel. It did not upgrade to 3.2 (uname -r shows 3.0.0-16-generic-pea). In /boot this is the newest kernel as well.

I think this has to do with me downgrading the last kernel update in 11.10, because of Nvidia driver problems. This should be fixed now in 12.04, so I would like to upgrade to 3.2 kernel now. In my test environment it went without a glitch, but this is a 64 bit install, while my production machine is on 32 bit (not usefull, I know).

How do I force Ubuntu to upgrade my kernel? sudo apt-get install ..?.. what? Or is there another trick?

Thanks,

Jzz

Jzz5
June 15th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Update:

I tried 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' and it tried to install the 3.2.0-25 kernel but gave the following error:

Error! Problems with depmod detected. Automatically uninstalling this module.
DKMS: Install Failed (depmod problems). Module rolled back to built state.

I then tried to clear apt-get of any errors by:

sudo apt-get install -f

and

sudo apt-get clean

but no succes. Another

apt-get dist-upgrade
gave no available upgrades.

Lipaugus Vociferans
February 5th, 2013, 02:34 AM
It happened to me on an Ubuntu Server-x64, I removed manually some old kernels and now Aptitude fails to offer me any kernel upgrades, The rest of the packages are upgrading normally, so I've been upgrading manually since kernel 3.2.0.29... Maybe I erased something else? Any info would be greatly appreciated):P