PDA

View Full Version : Nokia going under: where now for QT?

Paqman
June 15th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Nobody who's been following the mobile business will be surprised to see Nokia starting to haemorrhage staff and money. They've already ditched Meego/Tizen and it looks like their Meltemi replacement for their Symbian phones is out the door now too. They seem to be shedding all their non-WinPhone projects, so it can't be long before QT gets chopped too.

So where does QT go now? Will be interesting to see who snaps it up.

zombifier25
June 15th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Something big like Qt can't possibly get chopped. Even if it does, hey it's open source, so a dedicated team of devs will take over it.

Paqman
June 15th, 2012, 01:01 PM
so a dedicated team of devs will take over it.

That's my question: who will pay for them?

zombifier25
June 15th, 2012, 01:26 PM
The have-yet-to-be-established Qt Foundation.

MadmanRB
June 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Someone will jump in, its too big to loose.

forrestcupp
June 15th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Qt isn't only backed by Nokia, anymore. It's run by the Qt Project, and last year, Nokia sold the commercial licensing and services of Qt to Digia. The Qt Project still uses mostly Nokia devs, but I'd say that since Digia is the one making money from it, they'll probably kick in support for the devs. There are other companies that help support the Qt Project, too.

Bandit
June 15th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Qt isn't only backed by Nokia, anymore. It's run by the Qt Project, and last year, Nokia sold the commercial licensing and services of Qt to Digia. The Qt Project still uses mostly Nokia devs, but I'd say that since Digia is the one making money from it, they'll probably kick in support for the devs. There are other companies that help support the Qt Project, too.

This..

QT existed before Nokia backed them, they will exist after nokia dumps them. Just like ex-girlfriends.

jockyburns
June 15th, 2012, 04:41 PM
This..

QT existed before Nokia backed them, they will exist after nokia dumps them. Just like ex-girlfriends.

Unlike my ex girlfriends. :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag: