PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] X11VNC black screen

maxxer
June 15th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Hi.
I've a setup with two xen VM running both ubuntu 10.04LTS.
The have gdm+xfce installed, and using xen's VNC capabilities I can connect the the physical machine and see the login screen.
I also use x11vnc, for personal needs, on the same server. I used to connect without problems, but since yesterday and apparently no change, when I connect to the x11vnc port I just get the login cursor (the black X) and a black screen with a white bar on top!
if I try to connect back to the xen vnc I correctly see the xfce screen.

What can it be?
I tried several x11vnc commands with the same result!
attaching here the vnc log of

/usr/bin/x11vnc -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -forever -loop -bg -display :0 -v -o /tmp/vnc.log -ncache 10

thanks

krunge
September 8th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Which VNC viewer are you using?

Try it without the -ncache 10 and see if it works.

maxxer
September 11th, 2012, 06:21 AM
thanks, works partially. if I issue the command manually it works, if I put it at the bottom of /etc/gdm/Init/Default I still get a black screen

maxxer
September 21st, 2012, 07:30 AM
I've probably found the error: adding a & to the command!
Being gdm init, the process will never reach "exit 0" since x11vnc wasn't returning the control back...

krunge
September 23rd, 2012, 01:37 AM
I see. You have "-bg" which should put it in the background (i.e. without need for '&'), but your -loop usage precludes it going into the background (the -bg is ignored.)

I don't think /etc/gdm/Init/Default usage needs the -loop feature (since you have -forever), what do you think?

maxxer
September 25th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I see. You have "-bg" which should put it in the background (i.e. without need for '&'), but your -loop usage precludes it going into the background (the -bg is ignored.)

I don't think /etc/gdm/Init/Default usage needs the -loop feature (since you have -forever), what do you think?

Yeah, your arguments are correct, since I was getting mad I made a mess with options :)
Since I need it "forever", -bg is irrelevant and -loop as well.