PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] UNATTENDED: Why does a upgrade fail if you lose internet for 30 seconds?

fixitdude
June 15th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Everything is going along, you are getting files in a upgrade to 12.04 and you lose your internet for 30 seconds.

The upgrade dies. STOP.

A couple of HOURS goes by because you are busy doing something else and have better things to do than sit there watching NOTHING on the computer screen.

Can't programmers think about covering some of the basic possibilities that might happen during a download?

LIKE HAVE IT RETRY ?

Is that really too much to ask?

Another thing, just do the upgrade and don't stop to ask questions, I am not stupid enough to sit there through the whole upgrade waiting for the computer to ask me a question. ARE YOU ?

tommcd
June 15th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Everything is going along, you are getting files in a upgrade to 12.04 and you lose your internet for 30 seconds.

Do yourself a favor and always do clean installs of Ubuntu. Never do dist-upgrades.
These forums are just full of a myriad of problems from people who do dist-upgrades and somehow manage to screw them up.
I have been using every version of Ubuntu since the inaugural 4.10. I always do clean installs and I never have problems like this.
If you have a separate /home partition, a clean install is often faster and easier than doing an upgrade anyway.

... And there is no such thing as a a system that is so highly customized that a clean install would be too difficult.