PDA

View Full Version : The Ubuntu App Showdown

phosphide
June 15th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Just thought I would post this for anyone interested.

http://developer.ubuntu.com/showdown/

Welcome to the Ubuntu App Showdown, an exciting contest to create an app from scratch for Ubuntu in three weeks, and delivered in the Ubuntu Software Centre.

The best apps will win some awesome prizes from System76 and Qt including a System76 Gazelle Professional laptop and Nokia N9 phone for the gold prize, a System76 Lemur Ultra laptop and Nokia N9 phone for the silver prize and a Nokia N9 phone for the bronze prize.

After the contest the community will vote on all of the apps in the Ubuntu Software Centre and there are another three Nokia N9 phones up for grabs!

As for myself, I would like to create an app, though, I just don't think I will have time to learn python/quickly fast enough. I am creating my app in Java first and was wondering if anyone would be interested in assisting me with getting it into python/quickly. By assist I mean it would be a joint project.

But aside from that, I am interested in seeing what people submit for this.

MG&TL
June 15th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Depressingly, it's in the middle of my exams, but they finish on the 27th, so I might give this a bash.

I also don't really like quickly, but I know python to a point, so I should be okay. Might just go for it for the t-shirt. ;)

phosphide
June 15th, 2012, 07:13 AM
I have not had good success with quickly so far. I really liked how easy it was to create and publish your app through the terminal, though, I can't seem to get through the design process very easily. I know Python to an extent so programming it wouldn't be too bad (I think).

Drenriza
June 15th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Uhmmmmmm im more wondering if i should participate in this, what app should it be? What should it do :D

Edit: What is Quickly "You must use Quickly to create it"

And from what i can see only Python is available?

Edit2. So searched on Quickly. I have not yet tried it, but i'am not impressed by seeing it's functions.
You need to quit the program to go from design to program mode? Kinda silly.

And still only Python is available? Kinda silly again, where did Java and all the other languages go?

wolfen69
June 15th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Geez, I'm sure some app that's "coded" in a couple days will be life changing. :rolleyes: What's the point? Why not take your energies and code for something that can use the help?

HansKisaragi
June 15th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Interesting..

Watch this http://youtu.be/ssnlPS2dOqc

Paqman
June 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Edit2. So searched on Quickly. I have not yet tried it, but i'am not impressed by seeing it's functions.
You need to quit the program to go from design to program mode? Kinda silly.

Where it rocks is things like the way it takes care of all the licencing and packaging, and pushes your work out to a PPA. It lets you just get on with building and testing your application without getting bogged down in all the admin.

MG&TL
June 15th, 2012, 05:27 PM
It'd be pretty cool if they did this on an annual basis, it would give an incentive to ubuntu developers and a chance to get your name out there.

The software also has potential to be quite good, I am thinking humble bundle but for desktop software and ubuntu-based. Maybe. :)

phosphide
June 15th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Annual is too long. Perhaps quarterly. :)

MG&TL
June 15th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Annual is too long. Perhaps quarterly. :)

Indeed. ;)

And they've just relaxed the Quickly requirement, check the page. You can now use any language/build system, but Quickly is still strongly recommended.

phosphide
June 15th, 2012, 09:59 PM
That's actually really helpful. Quickly definitely has the advantage of packaging. Even if I do finish my app in Java I still have to worry about doing that.

hakermania
August 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Did you guys see the results?

What do you think?