PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using ALT CD to upgrade - still goes to the net

fixitdude
June 15th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Yup....

It says "if you press 'No'" (button) the network will not be used".

But what does it do the first thing when it starts "getting packages" ?

And it even tells you it's going to download 1.5GB which I thought it may have been messed up and was just going to get it from the ALT CD anyway.

Oh well, it's better than the 2.5GB it wanted and 15 HOUR download it was talking about without the ALT CD.

Oh, and let's wait till you get 1/4 way through the install and STOP EVERYTHING TO MAKE A STATEMENT that you can't do anything about anyway except hit the "OK" button (we removed your restricted library).

And also wait till you go through a lot of it and then say "you need more space on the / directory", thanks.

Why are upgrades with Ubuntu always so damn FRUSTRATING?

I must have rebooted this thing a zillion times now.

You think the cdrom upgrade would be right there on the menu when you boot the CD. WHY ISN'T IT???

And make sure you have a extra working computer so you can go and look stuff up when things go wrong!!

Why has this been going on now for 10 or more years?

Have microsoft employees infiltrated Ubuntu and tried to make it so hard to deal with no normal non geek person wants to touch it?

I mean, I couldn't let my mom use this, she would never be able to upgrade it.

iqtedar
June 15th, 2012, 05:37 AM
I share your concerns. Unfortunately, like the Minimal installer, the Alternative CD also requires Internet access. In fact, Ubuntu in general is very much Internet dependent even with installing applications. You didn't select a language different to the default (US English) did you? If so, that will add to the installation time substantially because it will download the huge localisations. I suggest you go with the defaults as far as the language/keyboard/localisation is concerned, at least while installing, to get the system up and running and then download them later.