PDA

View Full Version : Distrowatch

3dmatrix
June 15th, 2012, 12:29 AM
I know distrowatch's hits ranking is not the correct picture of distro usage in the linux world but atleast it gives some idea abt which distro ppl are reading more about, esp those who wish to try new distros. So i would like to ask :
Why is Ubuntu steadily declining on the distrowatch hits ranking ?
And what makes Mageia come up ?
Where is Ubuntu failing ?

overdrank
June 15th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Moved to Recurring Discussions

Version Dependency
June 15th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I know distrowatch's hits ranking is not the correct picture of distro usage in the linux world...

That's all that needed to be said really. Distrowatch is not accurate at all due to the nature of the site, and the fact that it isn't a very popular site (measures a few thousand page hits a day to the distro pages that count in rankings).

A better way to measure Linux usage and distro popularity is viewing the stats of one of the very popular sites on the internet, like Wikimedia (http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm).

THE LATEST WIKIMEDIA STATS (April)

Linux Ubuntu 1,066 M 0.72%
Linux Fedora 35.7 M 0.02%
Linux SUSE 27.9 M 0.02%
Linux Debian 16.5 M 0.01%
Linux Mint 13.1 M 0.01%
Linux Mandriva 12.3 M 0.01%
Linux CentOS 7.8 M 0.01%
Linux Kubuntu 7.5 M 0.01%
Linux Red Hat 7.2 M 0.00%
Linux Epiphany 4.3 M 0.00%
Linux Gentoo 2.7 M 0.00%
Linux Mips 1.4 M 0.00%
Linux Arch 450 k 0.00%
Linux PCLinuxOS 450 k 0.00%
Linux Motor 360 k 0.00%
Linux Oracle 210 k 0.00%
Linux Slackware 120 k 0.00%
Linux openSUSE 30 k 0.00%
Linux Xubuntu 30 k 0.00%Hmmm....Ubuntu is 36 times more popular than the second ranked distro (Fedora), and 70 times more popular than Mint or Mandriva....and Mageia isn't even listed.

ExSuSEusr
June 15th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I know distrowatch's hits ranking is not the correct picture of distro usage in the linux world but atleast it gives some idea abt which distro ppl are reading more about, esp those who wish to try new distros. So i would like to ask :
And what makes Mageia come up ?
Where is Ubuntu failing ?

First, it's hard to take ANY poll at it's face. It's far to easy for them to be biased and unfairly slanted to the view of the pollster.

I can ask you two questions:

A. Do you like your state politician?
B. Do you think your state politician is doing a good job?

You might not like your politician, but think he is doing a good job - doesn't matter.

I can state that "the majority of people in such and such state are not happy with their politician..."

I don't think there is really anyway to ACCURATELY tell which distro is more popular than another.

I realize I was describing a poll here, but the same principles apply - you can work the numbers and use whatever numbers you want to make a point to support your particular bias.

Sure, you can look at hits on the websites, but that doesn't tell you jack about who's downloaded and uses a full install of which ever as their main OS.

I can go Fedora's site 2 or 300 hundred times a day - doesn't mean I run Fedora - doesn't mean I even like Fedora.

I think a more accurate description of what we're seeing is to think "which distro do people seem to be more curious about?" More so than, which distro is more popular.

Of course a little common sense comes into play. Obviously a distro like... say... Tiny Core isn't going to be as popular as Ubuntu. But, that goes without saying.

In sum, I don't think anyone can really know if Mint is more used than Ubuntu, or whatever...

Allegedly, a lot of people did leave Ubuntu do to the Unity "thing." But, I am willing to bet that a lot of them came back too once they found they could use gnome, cinnamon, etc....

The definition of "popular" comes into play too. For me, popular does not mean going to the distro's web site. It means downloading it and actually USING it.

Simian Man
June 15th, 2012, 01:39 AM
That's all that needed to be said really. Distrowatch is not accurate at all due to the nature of the site, and the fact that it isn't a very popular site (measures a few thousand page hits a day to the distro pages that count in rankings).

A better way to measure Linux usage and distro popularity is viewing the stats of one of the very popular sites on the internet, like Wikimedia (http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm).

That's somewhat misleading, because you left off "Linux Other" which is the most popular version of Linux in their rankings. If a distro doesn't tag itself in the user agent string, it goes in that category. I suspect that many of these come from people downloading chrome.

zombifier25
June 15th, 2012, 02:40 AM
That's somewhat misleading, because you left off "Linux Other" which is the most popular version of Linux in their rankings. If a distro doesn't tag itself in the user agent string, it goes in that category. I suspect that many of these come from people downloading chrome.

"Linux Other" is not really that much higher than Ubuntu, and I can see most of the big Linux distros are listed there, so we can presume the Others are consisted of, like thousands of other minor distros.

(extremely obvious reference to Lost here :D )

jmore9
June 15th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I mainly use distro watch for the views of all the different versions of linux that come and go. Never really thought about which one is donwloaded the most ,

neu5eeCh
June 15th, 2012, 03:09 AM
THE LATEST WIKIMEDIA STATS (April)

Linux Ubuntu 1,066 M 0.72%
Linux Fedora 35.7 M 0.02%
Linux SUSE 27.9 M 0.02%
Linux Debian 16.5 M 0.01%
Linux Mint 13.1 M 0.01%
Linux Mandriva 12.3 M 0.01%
Linux CentOS 7.8 M 0.01%
Linux Kubuntu 7.5 M 0.01%
Linux Red Hat 7.2 M 0.00%
Linux Epiphany 4.3 M 0.00%
Linux Gentoo 2.7 M 0.00%
Linux Mips 1.4 M 0.00%
Linux Arch 450 k 0.00%
Linux PCLinuxOS 450 k 0.00%
Linux Motor 360 k 0.00%
Linux Oracle 210 k 0.00%
Linux Slackware 120 k 0.00%
Linux openSUSE 30 k 0.00%
Linux Xubuntu 30 k 0.00%

Interesting table. This would imply that Linux represents far more than the 1% usually ascribed to it?

Paqman
June 15th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Distrowatch is a site for distro hoppers to read up on alternatives. Ubuntu is the mainstream choice, most folks have probably already tried it.

Paqman
June 15th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Interesting table. This would imply that Linux represents far more than the 1% usually ascribed to it?

Er, no. Adding all those numbers together gives about 0.81%.

ninjaaron
June 15th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Er, no. Adding all those numbers together gives about 0.81%.

But on the website, there is also "linux other," which has 0.85% traffic itself, so it would be closer to 2% than 1%, at the end of the day, though who can really say if that's desktop linux or not?

More importantly, this data serves to remind me that I ought to be trying FreeBSD some time soon.

QIII
June 16th, 2012, 12:06 AM
The discussion is made more difficult by those who use multiple distros.

Troublemakers like me.

What about those who primarily use Windows, but also a Linux distribution and generally go to those sites when booted to Windows.

85% of stats are inaccurate, lies or made up. :)

3dmatrix
June 16th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Well i did not expect this thread will turn up so nice and informative and i am happy to know that percetage of Linux users is now above 5%

Are there other popular websites too where we could check users OS stats ?

Thanx all of you for your feedback and good to know Ubuntu is still the flag bearer of the linux brigade :)

Simian Man
June 16th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Well i did not expect this thread will turn up so nice and informative and i am happy to know that percetage of Linux users is now above 5%

Thanx all of you for your feedback and good to know Ubuntu is still the flag bearer of the linux brigade :)

According to those stats, Linux is only above 5% if you count Android. And if you count Android, then Ubuntu is not the "flag bearer" of Linux because it has less than 20% of the users of Android.