PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Using Gnome-Shell themes for Unity possible?

jasonwyz98
June 14th, 2012, 11:28 PM
I'd like to install some themes made for Gnome-Shell, like to know if they will work on Unity as well?

Frogs Hair
June 14th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I don't think it will work because the Gnome shell uses a different window manager. As you know shell themes aren't displayed in advanced settings while Unity is being used.

3Miro
June 15th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Unity uses GTK3 + Metacity windows decorations. You can use any GTK3 theme with Unity and you should be able to use at least most Metacity themes. Install Ubuntu-Tweak to gain more control over the themes.

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

jasonwyz98
June 15th, 2012, 02:10 AM
I don't think it will work because the Gnome shell uses a different window manager. As you know shell themes aren't displayed in advanced settings while Unity is being used.

So I were to install a theme made for Gnome 3, and then log into Unity, which theme will be used?

jasonwyz98
June 15th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Unity uses GTK3 + Metacity windows decorations. You can use any GTK3 theme with Unity and you should be able to use at least most Metacity themes. Install Ubuntu-Tweak to gain more control over the themes.

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

Just curious, have you actually tried this? I'm at work unable to try it now

3Miro
June 15th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Just curious, have you actually tried this? I'm at work unable to try it now

I don't think I have tried the Metacity decoration themes, however, I have tried the GTK3 themes and those work well. Ubuntu Tweak does provide an option to adjust the Unity decoration theme, but I can't remember if I have used it.

BTW if you install a Gnome 3 theme, it will not show immediately. If you install and set a Gnome 3 theme from Gnome-shell, then at least the GTK3 part should work under Unity. I don't think setting the them in Gnome-shell will affect Unity.

diesch
June 15th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Using Metracity themes works at least with MyUnity and Unsettings, I guess Ubuntu-Tweak can use them, too.

zombifier25
June 15th, 2012, 05:36 AM
There are some confusion here. GTK themes change the look of windows, except for windows decoration (the titlebar). Metacity themes change windows decoration. GNOME Shell themes change the look of GNOME Shell itself.

If the themes explicitly said that it's a GTK theme, then it can be used in both GNOME Shell and Unity. If it's a GNOME Shell them, then it only changes the look and feel of GNOME Shell, so it cannot be used in Unity.

Frogs Hair
June 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
So I were to install a theme made for Gnome 3, and then log into Unity, which theme will be used?

The GTK 3 theme will work but not the Gnome shell theme.

Frogs Hair
June 15th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced settings in Unity. Notice that the Gnome S hell theme is not displayed even though the theme Gnomish Beige includes one .