PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome 3 - paths on Desktop

joey00
June 14th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I recently updated and found myself the owner of the Gnome 3 desktop.

At first everything was fine. And I learned how to customise some features.

Then, one day I logged in and found the full path names of desktop files showing with the icon..

This is a messy situation and I want just name and icon on the desktop.

How can I turn off this unwanted feature?

joey00
August 25th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I recently updated and found myself the owner of the Gnome 3 desktop.

At first everything was fine. And I learned how to customise some features.

Then, one day I logged in and found the full path names of desktop files showing with the icon..

This is a messy situation and I want just name and icon on the desktop.

How can I turn off this unwanted feature?

I gave up and mobed to lxfe.

buckeyered80
August 25th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Well I see that you switched already, but your issue was easy to fix. You just need to go to open up nautilus, select "edit", select "preferences", select the Desktop tab, and then select "None" for Icon captions. You must have accidentally set it to show that. So, if you ever come back to Gnome 3, there's your fix. If not, have fun with lxde.

joey00
September 8th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Well I see that you switched already, but your issue was easy to fix. You just need to go to open up nautilus, select "edit", select "preferences", select the Desktop tab, and then select "None" for Icon captions. You must have accidentally set it to show that. So, if you ever come back to Gnome 3, there's your fix. If not, have fun with lxde.

Thx for this. I have carefully noted that this has a solution. And I guess I will try it out later.

This thread had been out there for ages with no solution, I had given it up as a lost cause.