PDA

View Full Version : The Future Home

ads2996
June 14th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post this.

But any y, I was think about this after watching youtube video on the future of microsoft hq. It was very impressive. This got me thinking, about the applications f linux within an opensource version of all this. So thix thread is really just to see ur ideas on how linux will be part of the guture home.

Will be looking foward to ur ideas.

sffvba[e0rt
June 14th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Ultrelusive
June 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post this.

But any y, I was think about this after watching youtube video on the future of microsoft hq. It was very impressive. This got me thinking, about the applications f linux within an opensource version of all this. So thix thread is really just to see ur ideas on how linux will be part of the guture home.

Will be looking foward to ur ideas.

Well you could automate your home using any computer system, but Linux would probably be the best bet because of the infinitely customizable nature of it. I don't know anywhere near enough yet to set something up, but eventually I'm wanting to set up a small form factor Linux-based media centre running something like XBMC to provide media/news/games/online services to my living room TV. I'll also set up a few other monitors from the same system, providing the same service to other rooms in the house. The TVs will also display CCTV and home information (thermostat, lights that are in use etc.

I'd like a touch screen control panel in the kitchen too that can control the TVs, sound, lights, thermostat and CCTV, as well as display stuff like recipies and other media while I cook.

I'll also instal voice-control software and assign commands to pre-defined voice commands, so I can just speak "turn bedroom lights on", "set temperature to 20", "turn volume up full", "play Amon Amarth" and stuff.

I was thinking about having a webcam above the main TV in the living room too with a video calling service, so if I get a call the caller will appear on my screen, then I can speak "answer" and get straight into a video call

I can't believe more people don't do this ****, it's completely possible and so futuristic it's insane.

What would you do with your future house?

Paqman
June 15th, 2012, 11:26 AM
So thix thread is really just to see ur ideas on how linux will be part of the guture home.

Why wait for the future:

LinuxMCE (http://linuxmce.com)

Besides the obvious media centre features LinuxMCE can do home automation using the current protocols like X10 and Z-wave, plus telecoms, CCTV, etc.

Unfortunately a lot of the hardware for home automation is quite expensive, but there's a lot that can be done already.

Ultrelusive
June 15th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Why wait for the future:

LinuxMCE (http://linuxmce.com)

Besides the obvious media centre features LinuxMCE can do home automation using the current protocols like X10 and Z-wave, plus telecoms, CCTV, etc.

Unfortunately a lot of the hardware for home automation is quite expensive, but there's a lot that can be done already.
I think we're using 'future' as an adjective rather than an indication of time. I'm aware of what can be done, it's just putting it together I fall short!

Cheers for the heads up on LinuxMCE and X10, I hadn't heard of those.

There are things that can be set up now with no additional cost, such as a media centre, CCTV, VoIP and control of said facilities with a smartphone/touch panel. It's that kind of stuff I'm looking into now, and when I move to a larger, more permanent place I'll be expanding it with the home automation gear that I can't readily set up

ads2996
June 15th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I had had the thought of using raspbery pi with xbmc running headless connected to speakers. Then i could play music from my central server using the xbmc remote. This would be a diy, cheaper alternative to the sonos system at 350 pound for one piece of it. Where as this would be about 70 pound including the speakers.

Paqman
June 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I had had the thought of using raspbery pi with xbmc running headless connected to speakers. Then i could play music from my central server using the xbmc remote. This would be a diy, cheaper alternative to the sonos system at 350 pound for one piece of it. Where as this would be about 70 pound including the speakers.

Not sure how good the sound quality you'd get through a RPi would be though.

ads2996
June 15th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Not sure how good the sound quality you'd get through a RPi would be though.

If the sound quality wasn't good it could also be used to stream to for videos and movies through the hdmi using xbmc as before