PDA

View Full Version : How to use grub-reboot in KDE

Takis
June 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Couldn't find this posted anywhere so I figure I'd better put it up - if only to remind myself next time I rebuild.

The command 'grub-reboot' lets you boot into a specific option listed in the grub boot menu. It's useful, but a little irritating if you have to use sudo powers each time you need to reboot into Windows, for example.

KDE has the option to list what to reboot into in the shutdown menu. If you open System Settings->Login Manager->Shutdown and set your Boot Manager to 'grub' in the dropdown menu, you'll find it'll appear next time you open the shutdown menu. You'll probably need to logout/log in for it to take effect, and you'll need to press and hold the restart button in order for the menu to appear, otherwise it assumes default restart.

rowanparker
July 16th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Is there anyway to do this in Gnome?

Takis
July 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I don't know - I'm a bit of a KDE fan myself. Anyone else?

Dsky
January 30th, 2007, 11:20 PM

up

phormion
January 31st, 2007, 12:35 AM
Wow, that's really useful! There used to be a 'rebootin' script shipped with older versions of Mandrake, but it was using some custom mdk additions as far as I remember (altconfigfile). I tried to run it on Ubuntu but it didn't work, this is all I need. I don't mind running the command with 'sudo', as long as it does the job.

I guess a quick fix for Gnome would be to create some scripts to run with gksu, each rebooting into one option, and each named something like 'Reboot to Windows', 'Reboot to Ubuntu' etc. Shouldn't be hard to do.

rowanparker
January 31st, 2007, 08:31 AM
up
How then?

rlbond86
December 2nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
This always makes KDE freeze for me. How do I fix that?

wensveen
January 8th, 2013, 11:33 PM

To those stumbling upon this topic and wondering. Yes, there is a way. I've created a tiny shell script that you can use, but you also need to tweak some settings (on Debian at least). You can read the details on my blog (http://wensveen.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/reboot-to-windows-from-linux/) (sorry for the shameless plug). This works for Gnome-shell, but probably also Unity.