PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen and no response after suspend or hibernate

Mr LJ
June 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Since installing Ubuntu 12.04 my system is unable to suspend or hibernate correctly. Putting the computer to stand-by and copying the ram to the disk seems to work, but when resuming it ends up with a black screen (monitor even turns of after several searches for input).

The computer does not respond to any shortcut - or at least I cannot see anything. I will try to log in via ssh later.
In launchpad a similar problem is listed, but refers to a issue with the AMD graphic driver. However I'm using a NVIDIA Geforce 7600GT. Installing the newest Ubuntu kernel updates and nvidia-driver has no effect.
I prior used the latest release of Linux Mint with Mate; there were no problems at all - asides from a GUI that still needs some fixes in detail.
In the pm-suspend.log I cannot find any abnormality, only the network-manager seems unable to put all processes to sleep.

Here some information about the system:
Linux 3.2.0-25-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 23 20:30:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Driver Version 295.49 X Server 11.0, Version 1.11.3 (11103000) Dual monitor 2x HP2309 as TwinView, connected to HDMI and DVI.
The pm-logfiles are attached

Is this problem already known and are there any ways to solve it?
Thanks in advance
LJ

Frogs Hair
June 14th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I have Win 7 dual boot and in the past have had to use the power button to awaken from sleep/suspend.The keyboard and mouse will not work to wake the computer in Ubuntu as they do in Windows.

Hard restart is not needed, but I do have to depress the power button slightly and the computer awakens. I have no need to hibernate, so I can't address that. Search for other threads on this problem because I have seen it posted before.

Mr LJ
June 14th, 2012, 06:55 PM
the system restarts after pressing the power button, but afterwards I got the black screen.
When resuming from hibernation I see the boot screen however the screen turns black after the ubuntu boot splash (the colored screen).

Differing from the other threads I have no problems with logging in or out (from unity).
The screen stays black for a second and then the desktop is back again.
I also have no problems with installing the nvidia driver - open gl and even games run smooth.

Edit: when the screen is black, neither ssh nor ping works

Edit2: Just updated to 3.2.0-26 kernel, but still no change

sauthess
June 17th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I all,

I have sometimes the same problem on optimus enabled laptop (but using only intel card).

It suspend/resume without problem few times and without reason another suspend breaks and I have a black screen...

I can switch to ctrl-alt-F1 and restart lightdm (service lightdm restart) and X restart without problem but I have lost my opened programs...

Annoying...

If someone have an idea...

Thanks in advance,

BR