PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Dual Boot, adding 2nd HD & Studio

themuseman
June 14th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I have a desktop system with a 160 GB SATA hard drive, with windows XP installed and working. I purchased an additional 160 GB SATA hard drive on which I want to install Ubuntu Studio, using Grub2 on this new drive to control booting to either OS.

For partitions on the new drive I think I want boot, swap, and root partitions. I'm not sure if I need the boot partition, but I may add a 3rd OS later onto the Windows hard drive. And I want to make sure that I can boot into XP if somehow I trash the planned Studio install. So I thought a separate boot partition might be wise. I can use Gparted to create the partitions, but I'm not sure how to make sure they will be used during the install of Ubuntu Studio.

So here is what I'm hoping for:
1. Recommendations on partitioning the new additional hard drive. (I prefer fewer partitions rather than more partitions, as I always find it difficult to figure out how much space will be needed for a particular partition.)
2. Recommendations on how to proceed (after partitioning) so I don't trash the XP install.
3. Recommendations on how to make sure any new partitions that I make from Gparted for the new hard drive get used during the install.

Any help is greatly appreciated.