PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu fills monitor after initial install, but doesn't after graphics driver install

avarusbrightfyre
June 14th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I'm a Windows user who just got into Linux today. I've always heard great things about.

I installed 12.04 and right after the install, the display filled the entire monitor as it should. After going through the Systems Settings > Additional Drivers pages and installing the driver listed there, the screen has a black border around it after reboot. I tried re-installing the OS and it went back to full screen, then went back to black border after installing the driver again.

I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 6770. Is there a specific driver for this that I can download to prevent this black border? I downloaded the driver from the AMD site, but when you click it it opens up a text editor with a progress bar. Being a windows guy, I don't know what that means and the progress bar is INCREDIBLY slow, so I'm not sure it's working right.

I'd like to give linux a good shot, but I'm particular about my display and it will bug me too much if I have to live with a border.

Thanks in advance!