PDA

View Full Version : patent issues for my program in launchpad

Jagoly
June 14th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Hi :-)

I've started writing a program recently, using python3 and and gobject-introspection. It's basically a pokedex, as in the pokemon games.

I'm using launchpad to host and manage the code (https://launchpad.net/gtkdex), and I'd like to set up a ppa so that my friends (IRL) can access it easily. At the moment I'm just uploading my own .deb files on my ubuntu one account and sharing the links on facebook.

But I'm not sure what the go is with all of the resources it uses (Images and other trademarked stuff), for which I don't own the rights to. What I was thinking is to keep all of the non-free stuff separate (at the moment most things are loaded from files) and distribute that elsewhere. The code I've written I'd like to be GPL. Plus I'd also need somewhere to host the other stuff if launchpad can't.

I'm only new to gtk btw, so if my code is horrible, please tell me, I don't mind criticism :-)

Jagoly
July 18th, 2012, 12:26 AM
bump :-p

Jacobonbuntu
July 18th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Hi :-)

I've started writing a program recently, using python3 and and gobject-introspection. It's basically a pokedex, as in the pokemon games.

I'm using launchpad to host and manage the code (https://launchpad.net/gtkdex), and I'd like to set up a ppa so that my friends (IRL) can access it easily. At the moment I'm just uploading my own .deb files on my ubuntu one account and sharing the links on facebook.

But I'm not sure what the go is with all of the resources it uses (Images and other trademarked stuff), for which I don't own the rights to. What I was thinking is to keep all of the non-free stuff separate (at the moment most things are loaded from files) and distribute that elsewhere. The code I've written I'd like to be GPL. Plus I'd also need somewhere to host the other stuff if launchpad can't.

I'm only new to gtk btw, so if my code is horrible, please tell me, I don't mind criticism :-)

I am not an expert on software licenses, but I do know a bit about (and have experiences on....) using other non-free stuff like images and music, and I would say be very, very carefull to use it in public stuff. Without written permission, you can get into serious problems.