PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need confirmation: Okay to install from Beta Disc?

barnac1e
June 13th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hi, I just reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 last night from a recent daily build CD I had made when Precise was in its Beta phase. Anyhow the first time or two of being logged on I got a minor error message related to a bug in dpkg I believe. However, after updating the systems and like two reboots I don't get the bug anymore. So is it safe to assume all is fine now? Or is there something lurking maybe I don't know about? I would logically assume even with Beta installs that once everything is updated it becomes as good as a fresh install from the official release versions, right?

Anyone got any opinions?

VE6EFR
June 13th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I understand your line of thinking but to be honest, I would probably grab the latest install from the Ubuntu website and create a live CD and install from that. Yes, in theory everything would be fixed when you did your updates however just for my own sanity I probably wouldn't install the beta at this point. If a problem showed up later it may be difficult to make sure the cause wasn't started at the install of the beta version.

barnac1e
June 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Okay, thanks for the opinion. Normally I would have and I think I do have a copy of the final install somewhere however I'm lazy about labeling blank discs so that's why I went with the beta disc since I had labeled it. Also, I've already installed a lot of the codecs for media and a difficult to get trans-coder so I'm feeling a little "ugh" now about re-installing everything. But just wanted to get some people's advice. Thanks.