PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no second CD for installation? NO HIGH SPEED NET HERE

fixitdude
June 13th, 2012, 01:09 AM
On Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Precise Pangolin it took 30 minutes to download "language packs" and then another 30 minutes or more to do updates and who knows what else.

Why can't that somehow be on a second CD ?

Not everyone in the world has super duper high speed internet and especially in 3rd world countries.

When it's done then let me decide if I want it to access the net and WHEN.

And if you are going to say what's the difference of having to download another CD:

#1 I can do it just once and then copy the CD for others.

#2 I may want to do more than one installation on more than one computer and I wouldn't have to wait for all the download times.

#3 I can download a iso file over several days easily and not have to sit there watching it waiting for the next thing it's going to ask me.

#4 Maybe I want to install it where there is no internet or when the net is down.

#5 It just makes sense.

wilee-nilee
June 13th, 2012, 01:18 AM
On Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Precise Pangolin it took 30 minutes to download "language packs" and then another 30 minutes or more to do updates and who knows what else.

Not everyone in the world has super duper high speed internet and especially in 3rd world countries.

And if you are going to say what's the difference of having to download another CD:

#2 I may want to do more than one installation on more than one computer and I wouldn't have to wait for all the download times.

#3 I can download a iso file over several days easily and not have to sit there watching it waiting for the next thing it's going to ask me.

#4 Maybe I want to install it where there is no internet or when the net is down.

#5 It just makes sense.

You have full control of when where and how you have access to the web using Ubuntu.

#1 You download a ISO burn it as much as you want.
#2 Make a cd of the install there are a number of options.
#3 See #2
#4 Used the CD you have downloaded you don't have to be on the web to install.

You have not done your homework or research.

fixitdude
June 13th, 2012, 07:03 PM
#2 Make a cd of the install there are a number of options.
I made the damn install CD of course.

Then I hit "install" or whatever button.

Are you telling me there's some secret special option to make another CD to go with the one iso file I downloaded that has all the "language packs" and the other stuff on it that it goes to the net to download during install?

I would like to know where that option was because it wasn't right there in front of you on the screen during install.

SO DON'T TELL ME I DIDN'T DO MY RESEARCH BECAUSE ANYONE INSTALLING UBUNTU SHOULD BE NOTIFIED OF THE OPTIONS WHEN INSTALLING IT !!!

It's called a proper user interface, it's called user friendly.

Say you are in a airport and have a lot of time so you want to install and try out Ubuntu. There's a free wireless access point but it's slow and when people walk by it cuts out.

You already have the CD written and in your bag.

Or you are going on a long buss ride and have your laptop and the CD ready to go, but now you are screwed because it wants to access the net.

Frogs Hair
June 13th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Downloading the ISO goes much faster than updates for me because unpacking and installing takes longer. If you were traveling you could wait to install non essential packages.

I don't know of any operating system that does not automatically try and connect to the internet post installation. I don't know of an OS doesn't need to get updates from the internet after installation.

Making an offline repository for cd is possible and there is information at the Ubuntu website. You would have to know in advance what distribution you were planning to install.

inforce
June 13th, 2012, 10:23 PM
If it helps you can download the DVD version of Ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/alternative-downloads, which has all the language packs on.

|{urse
June 13th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Turn off wireless or remove your wireless card. Install.

zombifier25
June 14th, 2012, 05:43 AM
I'm pretty sure Ubuntu has the option of turning off updates while installing.

sffvba[e0rt
June 14th, 2012, 09:53 PM
If it helps you can download the DVD version of Ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/alternative-downloads, which has all the language packs on.

^^ This!

Thread moved to Community Cafe.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 16th, 2012, 12:58 AM

You may want to look into this...

http://www.packtpub.com/article/create-local-ubuntu-repository-using-apt-mirror-apt-cacher

It may help with your bandwidth issue.

FatFrog
June 16th, 2012, 01:35 AM
I'm also fairly certain that you can avoid downloading updates when you are doing the initial installation.

Bandit
June 16th, 2012, 03:56 AM
I'm also fairly certain that you can avoid downloading updates when you are doing the initial installation.

Updates are completely optional. But additional language packs would have to be grabbed off the web or downloaded with the DVD version.

reptilezone2002
June 16th, 2012, 05:25 AM

#5 It just makes sense.

well theres an option in the installer to to skip downloading the updates & language packs ..

click the more button or skip button i cant remember the name just above the progress bar. when u see the scanning of mirrors or downloading updates just skip it .. & same to the language paks or simply just disconnect the net when u installing linux . like u bro i dont have mach bandwidth to play in internet

3rdalbum
June 16th, 2012, 10:50 AM
You can turn off the option to install updates (it's on one of the first screens of the installer) and you can click Skip during the "Installing language packs" part (it's under the little foldout triangle). I always do this as English is my only language.

I think it should only install the language that you've chosen to install with, as the language packs are available in the repositories anyway.

Artemis3
June 16th, 2012, 10:56 AM
You may want to look into this...

http://www.packtpub.com/article/create-local-ubuntu-repository-using-apt-mirror-apt-cacher

It may help with your bandwidth issue.

https://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~bloch/acng/

Package name: apt-cacher-ng

Emphasis in the NG, the old apt-cacher sucks, HARD, avoid like the plague.

And yes, ng works like a charm, you can point all your debian based distros to it, no problems. The old one... package corruption galore.

jockyburns
June 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM
If the OP's complaining about installing Ubuntu, I'm sure he'd go ape if he were trying to install Windows. :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

mips
June 16th, 2012, 11:48 AM
You could always buy the repos on DVD or download the iso images.

fixitdude
June 24th, 2012, 02:42 AM
> Turn off wireless or remove your wireless card. Install.

Doesn't work.

> You can turn off the option to install updates (it's on one of the first screens of the installer)
> I'm pretty sure Ubuntu has the option of turning off updates while installing.
> I'm also fairly certain that you can avoid downloading updates when you are doing the initial installation.

Like I said in the OP, I turned that off and it still goes to the net.

> You could always buy the repos on DVD or download the iso images.

That's what this whole post is about, there is no SECOND CD.

The other suggestions of doing the "apt-cacher-ng" are good, thanks.

BUT CAN WE MAKE THIS EASY FOR ANY USER ? Without having to go look up some secret geeky way to do this?

Oh, and what if I don't have DVDs or a burner?

lisati
June 24th, 2012, 02:50 AM

That is why the DVD version was suggested, which happens to be unfortunate if you don't have access to a DVD burner.

It must be time for a relaxing cup of coffee.... :D

sandyd
June 24th, 2012, 02:51 AM
> Turn off wireless or remove your wireless card. Install.

Doesn't work.

> You can turn off the option to install updates (it's on one of the first screens of the installer)
> I'm pretty sure Ubuntu has the option of turning off updates while installing.
> I'm also fairly certain that you can avoid downloading updates when you are doing the initial installation.

Like I said in the OP, I turned that off and it still goes to the net.

The other suggestions of doing the "apt-cacher-ng" are good, thanks.

BUT CAN WE MAKE THIS EASY FOR ANY USER ? Without having to go look up some secret geeky way to do this?

Oh, and what if I don't have DVDs or a burner?

unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). Use the "disk image" option and select the dvd iso. Don't bother asking what to do if you don't have a USB drive or a DVD other then if you want to install from a USB HDD.
There is a skip button as well while you are downloading your language pack.

CharlesA
June 24th, 2012, 03:13 AM
unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). Use the "disk image" option and select the dvd iso. Don't bother asking what to do if you don't have a USB drive or a DVD.
There is a skip button as well while you are downloading your language pack.
This.

While updates may be "optional" I would recommend installing them. Maybe set the machine to download and install updates after you go to sleep or something.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, how fast is your internet?

vasa1
June 24th, 2012, 03:27 AM
That is why the DVD version was suggested, which happens to be unfortunate if you don't have access to a DVD burner.

It must be time for a relaxing cup of coffee.... :D
Can't the "DVD" iso be burnt to a USB stick just like we do the CD iso.

But I largely sympathize with OP, even if I'm the only one.

And irrelevant comparisons to other operating systems don't help much.

My personal preference that that these language packs and whatever else should not be installed by default just to show that Ubuntu works out of the box like other distros that try to make a virtue of that. They can be suggested on the "first run" or via a nag screen after the actual installation is successful.

People who feel that installations are trivial most likely are on the better side of the digital divide and really should think twice before disbelieving those who face difficulties.

CharlesA
June 24th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Can't the "DVD" iso be burnt to a USB stick just like we do the CD iso.

Yep. See the link sandyd posted. :)

cariboo
June 24th, 2012, 03:37 AM
There is an option right at the start of the install process, that allows you top decide whether the wireless drivers are loaded or not. If you don't allow the drivers to load, your wireless connection won't work, and nothing will be downloaded.

I've installed all the Ubuntu variants countless times during iso testing, and in 12.04 at least, the option is always there. Whether you use the option is up to you.

Irihapeti
June 24th, 2012, 04:00 AM
I've installed Ubuntu countless times without an internet connection, including 12.04 during ISO connection. I've used the alternate CD, which might offer a bit more flexibility.

I also ran Ubuntu on dial-up for 18 months. I used to set things up so that the big updates would run overnight, or when no one was at home.

I agree that there's an assumption that Linux users have broadband internet access. However, you can choose to try and solve a problem, or you can just complain about it. I preferred to do the former.

sandyd
June 24th, 2012, 04:08 AM
This.

While updates may be "optional" I would recommend installing them. Maybe set the machine to download and install updates after you go to sleep or something.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, how fast is your internet?

me?
Two T1s balanced over BGP. Quest and Verizon

CharlesA
June 24th, 2012, 05:33 AM
me?
Two T1s balanced over BGP. Quest and Verizon
Lol no. I was asking the OP.

Nice setup tho. ;)