PDA

View Full Version : Man claims to have played same Civ II game over 10 years

Porcini M.
June 13th, 2012, 12:59 AM
In an impressive display of dedication, Reddit user 'Lycerius' claims he has been playing a single game of Sid Meier's classic world-ruling strategy game Civilization II for nearly 10 years now (http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii/). But sadly, the future world he's dealing with is "a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation."..

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/man-plays-same-game-civilization-ii-10-years-182343243.html

MisterGaribaldi
June 13th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Somewhere, I suspect a village is missing its idiot.

Whether the idiot is in-game or not could be debated.

BeenLikeFlynn
June 13th, 2012, 05:22 AM
HAAHA i feel as though civ 2 "idiot" needs an upgrade. cool story bro.

Paqman
June 13th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I guess after investing the first four or five years in a game it becomes irrational to walk away. Although after 1700 years of war you'd think it might dawn on him that "just one more turn" probably isn't going to crack the nut.

Anybody know if he did offer up his save? I've got a copy of Civ2.

Lucradia
June 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Anybody know if he did offer up his save? I've got a copy of Civ2.

It's unlikely that he even did it for the time he said he did it for. I'm sure he could've developed a third-party tool, if the game didn't have the feature already, to speed up time and initiate macro sequences to deal with it fast enough.

weasel fierce
June 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
That's pretty awesome :)

Paqman
June 14th, 2012, 10:06 AM
It's unlikely that he even did it for the time he said he did it for. I'm sure he could've developed a third-party tool, if the game didn't have the feature already, to speed up time and initiate macro sequences to deal with it fast enough.

In the absence of any evidence for that Occam's Razor suggests it's more likely he just played the game. He's not saying he played it solidly for ten years, it's just an old save that he keeps dipping back into. I have some old Civ 3 saves in the post-game stage that I'd quite happily fire back up.

Fascination
June 14th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I dont think hes played solidly for 10 years - not enough time has passed in game for that - but I think its something he keeps popping into.

His problem seems legit either way though, hes locked in a complete stalemate. If he makes any move different, he'll get wiped out but the other two super-powers. Treaties dont last longer than a few turns and hes unable to realistically make any move.

I think he may just have to admit defeat on this one and realise hes effectively lost!

forrestcupp
June 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM
The moral of the story is that this is sad and unfortunate because Civ II was programmed to make an accurate projection of how our world is really going to turn out. :)

zombifier25
June 14th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Somewhere, I suspect a village is missing its idiot.

Whether the idiot is in-game or not could be debated.

People have been playing Tetris for 20 years :lolflag:

Paqman
June 14th, 2012, 03:25 PM
The moral of the story is that this is sad and unfortunate because Civ II was programmed to make an accurate projection of how our world is really going to turn out. :)

I think the likelihood of the ice caps melting 20 times is rather low :p

rk0r
June 14th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I wonder how he managed to keep his PC from crashing and loosing his data ?

weasel fierce
June 14th, 2012, 05:50 PM
external backup probably

Paqman
June 15th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I wonder how he managed to keep his PC from crashing and loosing his data ?

IIRC he did mention he's carried the save over across several machines in that time.

Meelis
June 17th, 2012, 06:35 PM
My old classmate has also played it from the relase to this very day.

I don't know why. I asked from him in 2001, why do you play it, the graphics of this game look really ugly. He didn't give me any answer :). I had GeForce2 MX 32Mb super badass video and wanted to play 1nsane and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. :guitar:

Paqman
June 17th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I asked from him in 2001, why do you play it, the graphics of this game look really ugly. He didn't give me any answer :).

I still play Civ 3 a fair bit. I've got 4 & 5, but prefer the game play of 3. Civ 2 & 3 are fairly similar, so I can understand where he's coming from.

Good gameplay will keep you playing a game longer than good graphics. Just look at old stuff like XCOM. The graphics are laughable now, but I fired it up a couple of days ago and it's still hugely fun to play.