PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I can only run Ubuntu 12.04 in 2d mode why?

rookie2linux
June 12th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I am pretty new to this ubuntu and had to spend 2 days upgrading from 8.04 to 12.04 but I got it done . And it wont run in 3d mode?? It says compiz failed to run. it starts to work a little but I don't get Unity . But in 2d mode it lights right up no problems at all. Is there something that can be done? I appreciate the assistance and patience :)
Dom

3Miro
June 12th, 2012, 10:59 PM
This usually indicates problems with the video cards. Compared to 8.04, proprietary driver support was dropped form some old ATI cards and Unity 3D requires more effects so old Nvidia cards may not run with Unity either. Many machines that could run compiz in 8.04 will not be able to run Unity 3D.

What is your video card and what driver are you using?

rookie2linux
June 13th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I'm using an onboard nvida 5150LE 256mb but I have 2gb of ram

3Miro
June 13th, 2012, 12:48 AM
You RAM is certainly enough, but your video card is too old for Unity 3D. You can keep using Unity 2D if you like it, you should also consider using a different DE.

LXDE and XFCE are very light and fast and I think both will work better on your hardware. KDE is heavy, but it may work better than Unity. Then you have the Gnome 2 ports of MATE and Cinnamon.

Here is a good page that tells you how to install other desktop environments:

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

rookie2linux
June 14th, 2012, 07:55 PM
You RAM is certainly enough, but your video card is too old for Unity 3D. You can keep using Unity 2D if you like it, you should also consider using a different DE.

LXDE and XFCE are very light and fast and I think both will work better on your hardware. KDE is heavy, but it may work better than Unity. Then you have the Gnome 2 ports of MATE and Cinnamon.

Here is a good page that tells you how to install other desktop environments:

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

Thanks for the helpful link..:guitar:
But this is what I ended up doing I went got some cd's and burnt a 12.04 64bit copy and did a fresh install. and updated . But this time it let me install the nvida driver that it would not let me b4 . So now I have it in 3d mode. I appreciate all the help that I've gotten and I'm sure I'll need more b/c I'm hooked on Ubuntu/Linux no more windows for me.
Dom