PDA

View Full Version : Who here is happy with Vista?

tsb
June 20th, 2006, 05:44 AM
I tried beta 2 last night and I gotta say for something nearly a year from completion it's awesome. I was very surprised. Looks like I'll be triple booting for a while.

nanotube
June 20th, 2006, 06:08 AM
I tried beta 2 last night and I gotta say for something nearly a year from completion it's awesome. I was very surprised. Looks like I'll be triple booting for a while.
i haven't even bothered to get my hands on vista. i'm plenty happy with ubuntu, and want no part of the (presumably) drm-riddled vista.

bored2k
June 20th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Who here is happy with Ubuntu Edgy Eft? Not me. Why? Because just like the current versions of Windows Vista, it's too unstable for me to lay my judgement on it.

tsb
June 20th, 2006, 06:12 AM
DRM is a fact of life we need to accept if we want the latest technology. Unfortunately there seems to be little interest in having HD DVD/BD support in Linux, so I'll probably be dual booting for the forseeable future. Some things come up a little slow, but once you adjust all the settings like you want it's not a big deal. IE7 is awesome and the eye candy is better than xgl/Compiz IMO.

tsb
June 20th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Who here is happy with Ubuntu Edgy Eft? Not me. Why? Because just like the current versions of Windows Vista, it's too unstable for me to lay my judgement on it.

How often does Vista crash on you? I'm definitely not going to keep important files on its partition, but it hasn't crashed on me yet.

What also impressed me is that every hardware item and key on my laptop worked OOTB. The only thing I need to do is install the synaptic touchpad driver so I can scroll by page with the rocker button. Everything else was perfect automatically.

IYY
June 20th, 2006, 06:24 AM
I tried Vista and while I like it much less than any GNU/Linux or BSD distro I tried (OS X included), it is a great and overdue improvement over the old Windows XP. At least this time they are trying to implement some security mechanism, and use a visual style default that's easy on the eyes.

The hardware requirements, though, are simply insane. They use the argument that the new window manager is heavier graphically, and it would've convinced me except that I've seen XGL and OS X work on half the specs, with more impressive visual effects.

nalmeth
June 20th, 2006, 07:45 AM
DRM is a fact of life Yep, it is. I'm in no way willing to embrace it by supporting a company, who in tandem with the RIAA, wants to use it to restrict my rights to my fair-use of media which I have legally acquired.
There is no benevolent intention with DRM.
Vista will never see the light of day in my household

DoctorMO
June 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I would sooner listen to the silence of no entertainment media than embrace DRM, it's not just thats it's restrictive it's propritory and I laugh at the content companies for alowing them selves to become owned by the technoledgy that is suposed to support they new markets.

Windows as always will never be installed and I can not use it because I don't agree to the EULA.

forrestcupp
June 20th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Yep, it is. I'm in no way willing to embrace it by supporting a company, who in tandem with the RIAA, wants to use it to restrict my rights to my fair-use of media which I have legally acquired.

Amen! This is the very reason that I converted all my .wma files to mp3 and switched to linux. Controlling thieves!

Lord Illidan
June 20th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Amen! This is the very reason that I converted all my .wma files to mp3 and switched to linux. Controlling thieves!

Mp3, tsk. tsk. What about ogg?

nanotube
June 20th, 2006, 05:17 PM
DRM is a fact of life we need to accept if we want the latest technology.
just like rape and murder are facts of life. doesn't mean i have to like them, sponsor them with my money, or willingly invite them into my life.

(and yes, sure, drm is not as bad as rape and murder, i was just exaggerating for the sake of pointing out the flaw in your statement. so don't be coming after me saying that drm never killed anyone. :) )

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Mind you Edgy is only a few weeks old, and Vista is probably many years old, so it is not a fair comparison.

...drm never killed anyone.
...Yet

syxbit
June 20th, 2006, 05:58 PM
i must say i disagree. we don't have to like drm, but we HAVE to have it if we wanna watch hd
if linux users wanted to watch HD they'd have to follow drm.
so, it's either drm, or no HD
i'd rather DRM, although i'm glad linux won't use it, i'll just dual boot with vista

Shay Stephens
June 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Yep, it is. I'm in no way willing to embrace it by supporting a company, who in tandem with the RIAA, wants to use it to restrict my rights to my fair-use of media which I have legally acquired.

Same here. If that means no HD content or whatever carrot they dangle, then so be it. I would rather make sacrifices for freedom rather than sacrifice freedom itself.

Vista will never see the light of day in this house, and I actively discourage it's use to anyone who asks.

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Ach, HD is overrated anyway.

forrestcupp
June 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Mp3, tsk. tsk. What about ogg?

I knew someone would say that. When I was a Windows user I didn't know much about it, and I didn't even know if you could do ogg in Windows. Now I know better. One question, though. Will mp3 players play ogg files?

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I knew someone would say that. When I was a Windows user I didn't know much about it, and I didn't even know if you could do ogg in Windows. Now I know better. One question, though. Will mp3 players play ogg files?
Some of them do, and anyway OGG is the container format, the audio component of which is Vorbis.

RAV TUX
June 20th, 2006, 07:47 PM

Where do I get an install for Edgy Eft? I would like to start testing it.

I have been using windows media player 11 for a couple of months now and it sucks, windows is the only OS that degrades with upgrades. Oh and SUSE and fedora too.

graabein
June 20th, 2006, 07:48 PM

Some will. It depends on the player.

I'm never going to install Windows Vista in my house so I guess I'm happy with it. Or unhappy. I'm indifferent.

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Where do I get an install for Edgy Eft? I would like to start testing it.
There isn't a CD for it yet, but if you have a Dapper install, just change all mentions of Dapper to Edgy in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

I have been using windows media player 11 for a couple of months now and it sucks, windows is the only OS that degrades with upgrades. Oh and SUSE and fedora too.
Not to mention, but they also get bigger (CD wise), so much so that Windows is now on a DVD, and it's only an OS, no office suites or anything.

zachtib
June 20th, 2006, 07:52 PM
It's better than XP. Originally, I was going to buy a Retail copy of XP Pro right before vista comes out, and use that whenever i needed windows for something, but now after trying the beta, i can say it is an improvement. First and formost, Vista has adopted Ubuntu's 'sudo' style of administration.

However, I still prefer Linux over Windows, but as far as Windows goes, Vista isn't terrible.

RAV TUX
June 20th, 2006, 07:52 PM
There isn't a CD for it yet, but if you have a Dapper install, just change all mentions of Dapper to Edgy in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Bruce I have Dapper, can you tell me specifically how to do this?

Is there something I can copy and paste into my terminal?

zachtib
June 20th, 2006, 07:54 PM

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

then replace dapper with edgy

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 07:54 PM

No, as I said do this
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Change all occurences of "Dapper" to "Edgy", beware this will probably break everything, as it is very early in the release schedule.

Oy - you are not Bruce, zachtib!

First and formost, Vista has adopted Ubuntu's 'sudo' style of administration.
But horribly crippled - http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=151250154&size=o, 1 step longer than Ubuntu's installer to delete a desktop shortcut!

Shay Stephens
June 20th, 2006, 07:57 PM

As mentioned some will some won't. However, for the future, only buy players that also support .ogg. If people continue buying players that don't support freedom loving formats, we will keep getting shafted.

zachtib
June 20th, 2006, 08:01 PM
But horribly crippled - http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=151250154&size=o, 1 step longer than Ubuntu's installer to delete a desktop shortcut!

yeah, but at least it gives me some heads-up before something borks my system, yeah its annoying, but if it means better security, ill live with it

KLineD
June 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
yeah, but at least it gives me some heads-up before something borks my system, yeah its annoying, but if it means better security, ill live with it

Or... think about it... they could implement it the RIGHT way and then you would not be annoyed by the OS, and STILL get the security features.

Great, isn't it?

zachtib
June 20th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Or... think about it... they could implement it the RIGHT way and then you would not be annoyed by the OS, and STILL get the security features.

Great, isn't it?

Yeah, but this is Microsoft we're talking about. If I wanted an operating system that was implemented the right way, I would just use Ubuntu... Oh wait, I do.

Acesomeone
June 20th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Haven't tried Vista yet, would want to though. Already got the DVD though, not sure what to think of it yet.

RAV TUX
June 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Change all occurences of "Dapper" to "Edgy", beware this will probably break everything, as it is very early in the release schedule.

OK I don't want to break my Ubuntu. I will wait a while.

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 08:26 PM
OK I don't want to break my Ubuntu. I will wait a while.
I'd wait for a few months, mabye when the beta is out.

Rhapsody
June 20th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Tell me, what part of this new technology actually requires DRM to work? What part of the new technology just could not be made to work without DRM? I'll tell you how much. None of it.

DRM is a measure made by short-sighted, greedy corporations who can't stand that not everyone will do what they're told. It's bound to backfire on those same corporations eventually, and I shall be avoiding DRM measures until that happens.

Unfortunately there seems to be little interest in having HD DVD/BD support in Linux, so I'll probably be dual booting for the forseeable future.
Gee, I wonder why that is? Maybe it's because unlike DVD, there's no serious need for either? Maybe it's because players are so massively expensive (and so massively non-existent for Blu-Ray) that almost no one has one yet? Or perhaps it's because both technologies incorporate AACS, which is designed to stop just that sort of thing?

Don't worry though, they'll be there eventually. Just sit back and wait for DeAACS...

Some things come up a little slow, but once you adjust all the settings like you want it's not a big deal.
I have actually been reading the various reviews of Vista, and all have said that disabling Aero Glass will not gain you much RAM or speed over leaving it on. That's a big deal to me, especially when my PC isn't quite as powerful as God.

IE7 is awesome
Yeah, I'll bet it's almost as good as Firefox by now.

and the eye candy is better than xgl/Compiz IMO.
So, when pushed for actual advantages of Vista over GNU/Linux (or even just XP) this is what you come up with? Eye candy? Are you five years old or something?

RavenOfOdin
June 20th, 2006, 08:58 PM

I beg to differ. . .

DRM is yet another in a long line of privacy and rights violations, pushed by unethical companies that don't give a rat's *** about anything other than their pockets. As far as Vista is concerned, it won't be coming into my house either. I've already marked off hardware and software "do not buy" lists for my family when they go to CompUSA or some other outlet.

On the "eye candy" point, I'm not impressed either. I saw a bunch of screenshots in a computing magazine a while ago, and I'll say this - It looks like XP with Crystal windecos and XGL.

First and formost, Vista has adopted Ubuntu's 'sudo' style of administration.

Adopted? You should know better than that. Coming from Microsoft, the word you're looking for is less "adopted" and more "blatantly ripped off."

and STILL get the security features.

What security features? :confused:
Didn't they take NGSCB out to pasture?

KLineD
June 20th, 2006, 09:17 PM
What security features? :confused:

I was just pointing out to zachtib that those "security" features Vista implemented could be done in a non obtrusive way, but still they didn't. In no way I implied that Vista is a very secure OS.

nuvo
June 20th, 2006, 09:21 PM
IE7 is awesome and the eye candy is better than xgl/Compiz IMO.
IE7 isn't really that good, it just feels like it is because you've used IE6 and doing so cripples your standards.
IE7 isn't capable of passing the Acid 2 test, unlike Opera 9, iCab, Konquerer, Safari or browsers based on OmniWeb, KHTML or other engines (Safari uses OmniWeb, Konquere uses KHTML and both those renderers are relted).
Firefox is the only browsers worth using which hasn't passed it yet in my view, if only because the interface is better than Opera by default (Opera is still awful when it comes to the interface) and it's not some hulking great 103832 in one application (I don't want to travel through time, I just want to test my XHTML and browse the internet).
The same could be said for other gecko browsers like Epiphany which aim to provide a functional and pleasing interface that doesn't use more power than needed.
Also, how long will it be until people are complaining about IE7 having poor capabilities when it comes to rendering and such... And that's not taking ActiveX support into account!

As for eye candy, I have yet to see Vista in action, but many of it's new visual effects don't sound all that interesting anyway.
Compiz offers me all the eye candy I need to impress people, uses less of my system and has features Vista doesn't.
It's also worth considering that XGL and Compiz are still very much experimental, not 90% complete and ready for distrobution like AERO, so if my system runs great now, I can only imagine what it'll be like when Linux desktop effects are more matured.
Compiz is also extendable while Vista isn't, so as the underlying technologies improve and more plug-in's are made, Vista won't looks as fancy (Compiz needs a theme capable decorations plug-in).

RavenOfOdin
June 20th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Compiz is also extendable while Vista isn't, so as the underlying technologies improve and more plug-in's are made, Vista won't looks as fancy (Compiz needs a theme capable decorations plug-in).

Not to mention, Compiz probably needs less in the way of hardware.

zachtib
June 20th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Not to mention, Compiz probably needs less in the way of hardware.

No kidding, my _ATI_ card will run compiz, but not Aero (Vista's composite mngr)

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I hope so, it's horrid. It's now called System Integrity Team. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGSCB

bored2k
June 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM
How often does Vista crash on you? I'm definitely not going to keep important files on its partition, but it hasn't crashed on me yet.

What also impressed me is that every hardware item and key on my laptop worked OOTB. The only thing I need to do is install the synaptic touchpad driver so I can scroll by page with the rocker button. Everything else was perfect automatically.
It actually hasn't crashed. I was throwing stones at the possible "Microsoft is evil because it is" haters.

G Morgan
June 20th, 2006, 11:25 PM
DRM is a fact of life we need to accept if we want the latest technology. Unfortunately there seems to be little interest in having HD DVD/BD support in Linux, so I'll probably be dual booting for the forseeable future.

For DRM HD/DVD read Sony Minidisk. A great technology that nobody will buy due to restrictions. If the Music and Movie industry was producing anything worth peoples time and money it might just survive peoples frustrations when they stop working. As it stands with the last great film being made in 1995 and the music industry having mountains of junk pop music I think I'll spend my money on a better PC or maybe a few books. On top of this they still won't cover the analogue gap anyway so all this is for nothing, people will still pirate. It's just an excuse to charge more for products nobody needs. The only people rushing out to buy DRM DVD will be middle aged blokes who like technology as toys without understanding any of it so they can say 'look at my new toy' down the golf club.

Some things come up a little slow, but once you adjust all the settings like you want it's not a big deal. IE7 is awesome and the eye candy is better than xgl/Compiz IMO.

IE7 is not awesome, I've used it and all the credit MS are due they've made a browser that just about makes 2006 standards. It's not as good as Firefox and Opera as it stands and is nowhere near passing the acid2 test. Those products are still ahead and are looking to the future, by the time IE7 comes out of beta the internet will have changed almost beyond all recognition. Not to mention the interface is completely different to IE6 and most IE6 users will feel more at home in Firefox than IE7. Given the difference a good plan for promoting OSS is pointing out how Firefox looks more similar to IE6 than IE7 to Joe Public.

The eye candy for Vista will be static without serious and likely expensive hacking (and we are talking about much more than Windows Blinds here, the technology is that much more complex). In terms of functionality XGL is on par with Aero already but is designed for extension. By the time Vista comes out XGL will have left it in the distance.

As for efficiency, how will Vista run 6 months down the line after you've install JVM, Flash etc. Not to mention the rumours of 3 0-day exploits for Vista already known (at this point hackers will hold back their exploits for the big day, to attack now would just mean MS would patch it).

Personally I think Vista will sell bucket loads but will leave people moaning and complaining after a few months. Eventually people will turn off UAP or whatever its called these days leading to mass insecurity. People will get annoyed by the DRM systems. People will be fed up that it struggles even on top of the range machines. All this will lead to a crucial percent or two more users of Linux over the lifetime of Vista.

marcelm
June 21st, 2006, 12:45 AM
I am. And, ubuntu is, just like Microsoft, funded with cash.Face the facts and live with it. If the funding stops and no cash is generated with software sales, it will go defunct soon.

G Morgan
June 21st, 2006, 12:49 AM
I am. And, ubuntu is, just like Microsoft, funded with cash.Face the facts and live with it. If the funding stops and no cash is generated with software sales, it will go defunct soon.

Face it Linux survived for 15 years without much funding. It's only recently that funding has come in since its become apparent that OSS is a good development platform. Always remember though that funding came because Linux was doing well rather than Linux is doing well because funding came.

Anyway with companies like Red Hat getting 40% increasing in stock value every year its very unlikely Linux is going to die from lack of funds.

vayu
June 21st, 2006, 02:43 AM
I was throwing stones at the possible "Microsoft is evil because it is" haters.

The Wikipedia article on NGSCB eloquently worded the essence of M$ evil practices over the years:
"the technology will not only fail to solve the majority of contemporary IT security problems, but also result in an increase in vendor lock-in and a resulting reduction in competition in the IT marketplace"

Because the M$ haters aren't always able to verbalize what they know doesn't mean they're not right.

syxbit
June 21st, 2006, 05:22 AM
i must say, i use Ubuntu for almost everything, but for playing divx, and especially DVD's windows is just better.
not only is there hardware acceleration (due to better video drivers).
totem just plain sucks, and so does Mplayer.
Kaffeine isn't much better either
VLC is alright i guess
best media players for those of you who still know/use windows are
bsplayer and mediaplayerclassic
wish there was something like that in linux

tsb
June 21st, 2006, 06:48 AM
Tell me, what part of this new technology actually requires DRM to work? What part of the new technology just could not be made to work without DRM? I'll tell you how much. None of it.

DRM is a measure made by short-sighted, greedy corporations who can't stand that not everyone will do what they're told. It's bound to backfire on those same corporations eventually, and I shall be avoiding DRM measures until that happens.

Then be prepared to miss out on lots of new technology.

Gee, I wonder why that is? Maybe it's because unlike DVD, there's no serious need for either? Maybe it's because players are so massively expensive (and so massively non-existent for Blu-Ray) that almost no one has one yet? Or perhaps it's because both technologies incorporate AACS, which is designed to stop just that sort of thing?

There are players on the market for both formats now. The PQ is to die for. It's a huge improvement. anyone stating otherwise just doesn't have keen eye. Pricing is also on par with early DVD player if not cheaper. $500-1000 for a player isn't that much for an early adopter.

Don't worry though, they'll be there eventually. Just sit back and wait for DeAACS...

We can only hope.

I have actually been reading the various reviews of Vista, and all have said that disabling Aero Glass will not gain you much RAM or speed over leaving it on. That's a big deal to me, especially when my PC isn't quite as powerful as God.

Buy new hardware then. I will have replaced my hardware a few times before Vista comes anyway. It runs fine on my weakest machine, a Ferrari 3200, anyway.

Yeah, I'll bet it's almost as good as Firefox by now.

I have been a long time FF user. I like IE7 better.

So, when pushed for actual advantages of Vista over GNU/Linux (or even just XP) this is what you come up with? Eye candy? Are you five years old or something?

Selective reading? I mentioned everything works OOTB and that MUI/ME is much better than anything on Linux. The fonts are also much better.

Rock on!

seshomaru samma
June 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM

I'm running Vista (dual boot with Dapper) and can't find anything attractive about it, I think XP is much better. I tried to connect to my XP laptop and couldn't set up this simple connection because the over friendly Vista doesn't offer any manual configuration option (or at least hid them well) and none of its built in options fit my situation . Not to mention the fact that it didn't recognise much of my hardware (Dell Dimention which I beleive is quite a main stream computer) . There are some improvements like you can change the theme and they got rid of the 'my documents' bit. I think Vista's new security system is ultra annoying but I guess there is some way to turn it off. In terms of design Vista is very attractive ,much better than anything I saw on KDE or Gnome , but in terms of technology it's not half as sophisticated as XGL.

To sum it up, it looks good but it doesn't seem to do things that XP (or Linux) can't.
Still, good looks count .If Ubuntu wants to become more popular ,attention should be paid to eye-candy . Impressing future users with XGL is good but if you want them to switch to Linux , applications like GAIM should be redone in an attractive way.
In China a lot of people use Tencent as a browser . Why? it's not an financial problem (since nobody pays for MS technology here) ,or idealogical , it's just because Tencent is very colourful.

forrestcupp
June 21st, 2006, 01:37 PM
I thought the Linux communtiy was full of hackers. Hackers are supposed to like Microsoft because of their security flaws.

tsb
June 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM
^^No, many like to hate MS because it's "the cool thing to do". :(

MethodOne
June 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM
I'll install the beta in a VMware machine just to look at the features of Vista. If I don't like it (other than bugs or minor slowdowns), I'll use Mac OS X or Linux from now on. Also, today's movies and music can get boring after a short period of time. I would rather spend my money on computer hardware, game consoles, and commercial games for OS X, consoles, and Linux.

darkhatter
June 21st, 2006, 05:01 PM
when HD gets hacked and finds it way in xine and mplayer I'll start buying HD-DVD's (or blue ray)

Linux is a virus that is slowly invading the lifes of everyday people. The funding will help, but Linux being open source is what makes it so good. IF you think Linux is dying take a look at China, where we can see the Linux virus spreading

I just wish there was a way to support the companies without supporting drm

and I find playing video under Linux much better.

I have my xine, xine-ui with the opengl driver, and my windows-codecs. I still haven't found a video (codec) that doesn't work with that combo. This is includes COMPLETE dvd play back

tsb
June 21st, 2006, 05:18 PM
Your HD WMV DVDs will play?

It will also be quite a while before we have HD DVD/BD playback on Linux. I'm not willing to wait that long and neither is the interested J6P.

BrokenKingpin
June 21st, 2006, 05:40 PM
I was not very happy with Vista, it looks good but it doesn't have that many extra features over XP... and it's a huge resource hog.

darkhatter
June 21st, 2006, 05:40 PM
sadly I'm most likely going to get one of the players, and it doesn't play hd-wmv dvds (on my linux) :(

drfalkor
June 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM
I've tryed Windows Vista, is like Windows XP with laggy eye-candy that eat's up you'r hardware.
Under the hood of windows vista, its worse than Windows XP cuz of DRM and so on !

forrestcupp
June 21st, 2006, 06:51 PM
Honestly, though, people. How many of you really rely on your computer to watch DVD's. I don't know about you, but I prefer to watch my movies on a big TV with loud surround sound and a comfortable chair. The only DVD's I play on my computer are my 2 year old boy's kids movies because we don't want him hogging the TV all the time.

Shay Stephens
June 21st, 2006, 06:59 PM
Honestly, though, people. How many of you really rely on your computer to watch DVD's. I don't know about you, but I prefer to watch my movies on a big TV with loud surround sound and a comfortable chair. The only DVD's I play on my computer are my 2 year old boy's kids movies because we don't want him hogging the TV all the time.

The only DVD's I watch on the computer are the ones I am making. I watch any commercial DVD's on the bigscreen in the living room.

darkhatter
June 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM
I went off topic, I haven't used Vista but I think it looks nice. When I get a better computer I'll try it out

graabein
June 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM
The Wikipedia article on NGSCB eloquently worded the essence of M$ evil practices over the years:
"the technology will not only fail to solve the majority of contemporary IT security problems, but also result in an increase in vendor lock-in and a resulting reduction in competition in the IT marketplace"

Because the M$ haters aren't always able to verbalize what they know doesn't mean they're not right.

Thank you vayu.

I don't like it when people sometimes try to portrait anti-microsoft opinions as knowledgeless childish outbursts.

Not everyone has english as their first language. It's one thing to understand written and spoken english but it is much harder to express it in written form, at least for me it is. I don't get much practice. I'm 30 years old and I have a master in computer science. I don't dislike Microsoft because it's "cool".

=D> :grin:

For those who like Windows Visa because it looks pretty they should also look at what lies beneath the surface. The black boxing and all the back door stuff, how programs work together and lock out other programs, how they push their own propritary file standards to kill off competition and lock users into BUYING and using their software.

And no, I don't have links to my sources, I don't keep bookmarks for every interesting article I've read the last three years.

G Morgan
June 21st, 2006, 10:05 PM
I don't like it when people sometimes try to portrait anti-microsoft opinions as knowledgeless childish outbursts.

Not everyone has english as their first language. It's one thing to understand written and spoken english but it is much harder to express it in written form, at least for me it is. I don't get much practice. I'm 30 years old and I have a master in computer science. I don't dislike Microsoft because it's "cool".

The problem is there are rabid MS haters who hate it because it is cool. For those on the other side it is easy to lump everyone together in one box and discredit the theory of those who have reasons via association essentially. It's the same as when people shoot down environmentalism on the basis that some are treehuggers and have no credibility, the majority of course are educated and know their stuff (many Environmentalists back nuclear power for example as the lesser of two evils and the only realistic solution to the combined GW/Energy Crisis).

Anyway thats off topic. A person who claims that at least moderate distrust of corperations like MS isn't healthy is an idiot, by the very system of capitalism these companies don't give a damn about people so we should show mistrust as the only method of protection against corperate dominance, especially when the merits of the products produced are far overstated and other factors mainly contribute to market share.

Fedup
June 21st, 2006, 10:08 PM
I was not very happy with Vista, it looks good but it doesn't have that many extra features over XP... and it's a huge resource hog.

It certainly is a huge resource hog - on my 3400+/1G Ram/160G HDD/GForce4 it positively c..r..a..w..l..s.. along - in comparison, KDE is fast and sleek and resource friendly :lol:

It does come with some nice looking Truetype fonts though - which can be easily copied out and installed into Linux... err.... Apparently :-\"

tsb
June 22nd, 2006, 02:00 AM

Ever hear of HTPCs?

KingBahamut
June 22nd, 2006, 04:34 AM
Having tested it for a month I can say, Ill never run it (not that I run any MSFT OS) in any capacity.

forrestcupp
June 22nd, 2006, 03:34 PM
Ever hear of HTPCs?

How many people actually have them?

mstlyevil
June 22nd, 2006, 07:18 PM
Here is my take on Vista. To be fair it is Beta so I am reserving my final judgement for the final release.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1158692&postcount=32

For those of you that think the eye candy is better in Vista than Compiz let me let you in on a little secret. Aero has a lot of polish but is technically limited to the features it has now. There is no plugin system to add new or better effects and it is a huge resource hog.

Compiz on the other hand is actually very light on the resources and is expandable by creating new plugins. Compiz is also capable of much better effects than Aero by a mile. I have been using Compiz since the week it was released for public testing and the improvements have been swift and awe inspiring. Aero will be behind Compiz in 07 when it is released.

Also the people who really seem excited about Vista in this thread have only commented that it looks prettier. I don't care how pretty a operating system is when it makes my Athlon64 3200 with 1 gig of quality RAM and a 7600GT perform worse than my 1.2 ghz celly with onboard Intel graphics and 256 ram running XP. That is unacceptable and it will cause Vista to flop if they do not fix it before final release.

darkhatter
June 22nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
to the poster above that isn't a surprise to me. Open source programs are always more flexible then closed source. Thanks to my good friends at Microsoft I'm going to be running this O.S. regardless of how bad it is, at least we know that they are improving

syxbit
June 22nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
i think you'll find a fair amount of users watch dvd's on their PC
i for one (like many college students) don't have a TV.
i have a nice 24" wide LCD monitor thoug :) (dell 2407fpw)

graigsmith
June 22nd, 2006, 11:56 PM

This is EXACTLY how i feel. Someone told me a long time ago that microsoft was big brother. I diddn't exactly like microsoft, but at least i trusted them. Now i don't trust them, just as they don't trust their own customers. They put monitoring systems on your computer, and copy protections. "Trusted" computing will give control to "trusted" entities (corporations). It makes it sound like something that is made for the end user, ie, you can run things that you trust, keeping bad things off your computer. But it's the other way around. *They* will decide what *YOU* will trust, and what you wont trust. Therefore if they decide that there is a "security" problem with mp3 files, then they can use trusted computing simply not trust any mp3 file rendering your whole collection of mp3's useless.