PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I NEED to uninstall Ubuntu but don't know how

linuxsam777
June 12th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I have installed the latest version of Ubuntu on a netbook provided by my school but I don't know how because I cant just delete the partition and install easy-BCD because the netbook has win 7 enterprise and I am only a standard user is there away of removing ubuntu without messing up the boot system. Is there perhaps a way of telling the bios to only listen to the windows boot loader so that I can safely delete the ubuntu partition? :?:

william_lane
June 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Does your machine have entries for 7 and Ubuntu and in tacked? What I mean can you boot to both?

linuxsam777
June 12th, 2012, 07:10 PM
yes it is dual boot. all the partitions work correctly.

cortman
June 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Confirm which partitions contain which operating systems, boot from a live CD or USB, and use GParted to delete the Ubuntu partitions.
You can then reclaim the empty space into the Windows partitions by enlarging it in Windows.

linuxsam777
June 12th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I have done that before on a different machine but when I started the computer it was looking for the ubuntu GRUB (boot loader). However I think by deleting the partition the I wont be able to start the computer and boot to windows because the ubuntu GRUB (boot loader) is saved on the ubuntu partition. I would try your sugestion but I fear that the machine may not start properly.

william_lane
June 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I would copy your drive, and back up every thing if you go down this road, I'll try doing it in a vm tonight because it has been a very long time sense I have done this, but you can delete the linux partition/swap but I don't think it will wipe out grub(could be wrong). If it doesn't you'll need to remove grub.Once grub and the partitions are gone you can run the start up repair for windows 7 that will write a new boot loader, after that you can resize the windows partition to take up the rest of the space with a third party utility.
The catch! You need administrative rights, I have done this before but it is a sketchy ride.

Cheesemill
June 12th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Before deleting the Ubuntu partition(s) you need to first restore the windows bootloader.

You can either do this from Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install syslinux
sudo dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sda

Or:
Boot from a Windows recovery CD to fix the MBR.

Once you have done this then reboot your machine, it should boot straight into Windows without the Grub menu. If this is successful you can then just delete all of your Ubuntu partitions.

linuxsam777
June 12th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Before deleting the Ubuntu partition(s) you need to first restore the windows bootloader.

You can either do this from Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install syslinux
sudo dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sda

Or:
Boot from a Windows recovery CD to fix the MBR.

Once you have done this then reboot your machine, it should boot straight into Windows without the Grub menu. If this is successful you can then just delete all of your Ubuntu partitions.

Thank you!!!! but how do I need to edit this command to suit my system though?

this my partition table :

/dev/sda1 ntfs system reserved
/dev/sda2 ntfs windows
/dev/sda3 ntfs Data
/dev/sda4 extended
/dev/sda5 ext4
/dev/sda6 linux-swap

Cheesemill
June 12th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Thank you!!!! but how do I need to edit this command to suit my system though?

this my partition table :

/dev/sda1 ntfs system reserved
/dev/sda2 ntfs windows
/dev/sda3 ntfs Data
/dev/sda4 extended
/dev/sda5 ext4
/dev/sda6 linux-swap

You don't need to edit it, use the exact commands that I gave you.

linuxsam777
June 12th, 2012, 09:32 PM
You don't need to edit it, use the exact commands that I gave you.

Thank you!!! You are awesome!!!
You have really saved my bottom :D
I will mark this thread as solved in about two weeks when I have tried your method, but I am sure that it will work!!