PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update Manager icon in Unity taskbar

MoebusNet
June 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM
When Update Manager automatically checks for and finds updates, it displays the Update Manger icon in the Unity left taskbar. However, unlike the other icons for Firefox, Libre Office Writer, Ubuntu Software Canter, etc. I cannot left-click on this icon to open Update Manager. I have to go into Dash to find & open Update Manager to view and install the updates. Right -click to display Update Manager on the menu also does not work. This is not consistent behavior.

Note that this only occurs when Update Manager runs automatically. If I open Update Manager manually, the icon behaves correctly.

This behavior started in Oneiric and has continued into Precise.

Has anyone else noticed this inconsistent icon behavior?

MoebusNet
June 30th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Am I really the only one who has noticed this, or does everyone else classify this as:

"Meh" *shrugs*

If I'm really the only one, I'll mark this as "SOLVED" and move on.

kostkon
June 30th, 2012, 04:51 PM
It works fine here.

Krytarik
June 30th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Am I really the only one who has noticed this ...
This is the related bug report, the new one, for Precise 12.04:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/1003950

Regards.

efflandt
July 1st, 2012, 12:42 AM
This is apparently NOT a new issue, since I have had this same issue in 64-bit 11.10.

Simple workaround: Go to a different virtual desktop, and then you can open Update Manager from the icon in Unity bar and it should pop in from wherever it is hiding. Although, I forget if you can just left click it at that point or open it from right click menu (which does not work either when hiding, until switched to different desktop).

MoebusNet
July 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM
@efflandt & Krytarik, thank you for your responses. I had not found that bug report and given the intermittent behavior of the bug wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. I'll leave this open for now; hopefully we'll see a resolution before too long. Again, thank you.

MoebusNet
July 19th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I haven't seen anything in the bug reports that specifically fixes this, but over the last couple of weeks with all of the Precise updates my Updates Available icon for Updates Manager is working correctly now. Whoever managed to fix this, a big THANK YOU!!

Marking this as "SOLVED".

efflandt
July 26th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Since I installed 64-bit 12.04 I am having this same problem in Unity, and switching to a different workspace does not help like it did in 11.10. If I want to see what the auto updates are, I have to quit the icon and open Update Manager from Dash.

So it is not really solved yet, it just works for some people and not for others, with no fix yet when it does not work.

PS: Never mind, a recent update must have fixed that. Today was the first time I was able to open the automatic Update Manager iron in Unity bar to the desktop.

IzeHouze
September 21st, 2012, 01:33 PM
Running clean install 12.04.1-i386. It is now the end of September and it still does not work. All updates installed.

PaulInBHC
September 21st, 2012, 02:15 PM
For me, sometimes it works, a few days ago, it did not.

Actually the update window was apparently open, I just could not see it.