PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install with look/feel of previous LTS

PfromD
June 12th, 2012, 04:10 PM
How do I install 12.04 LTS to seem more like the LTS version I had gotten used to. The new menu in the left side of screen look nice, but that's it .. it LOOKS nice, but I really don't like how hidden-away a lot has become

snowpine
June 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM
The distros I know of that still support the old Gnome 2 desktop are:

Ubuntu 10.04
Debian Squeeze
Red Hat
CentOS
Scientific Linux
Fuduntu

I recommend Fuduntu as being the most user-friendly of that bunch. :)

PfromD
June 12th, 2012, 04:31 PM
It really isn't possible to install 12.04 but just without that new menu on the left side of the desktop.
I don't even fancy the choice they've made in going LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice ... now ApacheOpenOffice

snowpine
June 12th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Yes there are ways to customize the 12.04 desktop, and I'm sure other forum members will be along to share their how-to's. Personally I like the new Unity interface so I haven't bothered trying to change it back to the old one. FYI this has been the most frequently-discussed topic on these forums over the past year. :)

MG&TL
June 12th, 2012, 04:43 PM
How long have you tried it for? A lot of people hate it to start with, then grow to like it.

And I've run both LTSs, and nothing was 'hidden away' as such. Examples?

snowpine
June 12th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Agree with the "nothing is hidden" comment. Just tap the Super/Windows key and type what you're looking for, it's so easy!

PfromD
June 12th, 2012, 04:50 PM
That it's been discussed doesn't surprise me the least :)
An example of what I mean with 'hidden-away' is just that what previously was placed in intuitively easy access with the new desktop is placed in places that doesn't seem intuitively straight forward. Might just be a matter of a learning curve, but that doesn't mean I have to like it nevertheless

snowpine
June 12th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Agree that your opinion is valid and you should use what you like, but you haven't given a specific example of something that is "hidden away." Maybe we can help you find it. :)

MG&TL
June 12th, 2012, 05:04 PM
That it's been discussed doesn't surprise me the least :)
An example of what I mean with 'hidden-away' is just that what previously was placed in intuitively easy access with the new desktop is placed in places that doesn't seem intuitively straight forward. Might just be a matter of a learning curve, but that doesn't mean I have to like it nevertheless

...but if you didn't like it, what's wrong with any of the other *buntus? Sorry, but gnome 2.x is dead and has been for a while. There's MATE (Gnome 2 rehash, haven't heard much from it for a bit), or gnome-session fallback.

black veils
June 12th, 2012, 06:29 PM
the xfce desktop environment (instead of unity) is like what you were used to in ubuntu 10.04. the panels can be configured, and you have other settings. i believe it to be well integrated and intuitive. there is a ubuntu distro already with the xfce desktop, it is called Xubuntu. if you want to just take a preview at the desktop, without installing that distro, then you can
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop from within your current ubuntu, then restart the computer, at the login screen, click the little icon in your login box, and choose xubuntu. it will remember your choice for each time you login, until you choose unity again.

PfromD
June 12th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Agree that your opinion is valid and you should use what you like, but you haven't given a specific example of something that is "hidden away." Maybe we can help you find it. :)

There's probably nothing that has been directly hidden away as such, but just put in places that I don't -at this point in the 'curve'- find intuitive and logic.
But I haven't been back for a while as a budged update attempt forced me to use winxp while getting help in getting back some documents, and my lazy nature never got back to trying again. Well until now that is

QIII
June 12th, 2012, 10:40 PM
"Intuitiveness" is, more often than not, really "familiarity."

Your intuition about Unity will grow with use.

If you don't have the time or desire, someone suggested XFCE, which can be made to be very close to the old GNOME metaphor.