PDA

View Full Version : Is this right 'tower' for my Mother?

DougieFresh4U
June 12th, 2012, 02:35 PM
AMD Phenom II X4 640 3.0GHz Processor
6GB DDR3 Memory, 1TB Hard Drive

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1205190&CatId=2628

My mother is in her 70's but she is always complaining her computer is slow.
And it is also 'dying' at the moment and it's an Windows XP which is dead any ways. She has a lot of photos and does a lot of emailing. This will most likely be her last computer she will buy. I was thinking she won't have any problems with this.
Thanks for any feed back provided.

MadmanRB
June 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Very good specs, it will do the job to be sure for some time

mamamia88
June 12th, 2012, 02:50 PM
For your mom it should be fine. But can you throw together something similar with maybe a name brand motherboard for a similar price? I don't know the quality of compusa.

DougieFresh4U
June 12th, 2012, 02:56 PM
For your mom it should be fine. But can you throw together something similar with maybe a name brand motherboard for a similar price? I don't know the quality of compusa.
Not sure what the motherboard is but tower is listed as:
HP Pavilion p6716f Refurbished Desktop PC - AMD Phenom II X4 640 3.0GHz, 6GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVDRW

I thought a dual core would be great but it appears this maybe onle a single core? (from reading specs on website)

VE6EFR
June 12th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Looks to be a nice system. Should keep her happy for a while.

stalkingwolf
June 13th, 2012, 06:01 PM
seems to be a quad core. the Athlon II X4 640 (which is a quad-core CPU running at 3 GHz)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Athlon-II-X4-640-vs-Core-i3-530-CPU-Review/1041

Warpnow
June 14th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Compusa used to suck.

Now they're opened by Tigerdirect and are pretty awesome.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 14th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Are you planning on running it with the Windows 7 OS, or do you plan to install a Linux OS?

She definitely shouldn't have a problem with the system being slow on a 3 GHz Quad-Core with 6 GB of RAM.

I didn't see a wireless NIC in the specs. If it is needed you may need to buy one.

I also noticed the ATI Radeon 4200 graphics. If you are going to run a Linux OS, that me be something that you want to look into for any know problems.

HappinessNow
June 14th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Your Mom is about the same age as my parents and honestly I would only consider buying them a Chromebook or a Chromebox. Anything beyond that is unnecessary overkill.

AMD Phenom II X4 640 3.0GHz Processor
6GB DDR3 Memory, 1TB Hard Drive

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1205190&CatId=2628

My mother is in her 70's but she is always complaining her computer is slow.
And it is also 'dying' at the moment and it's an Windows XP which is dead any ways. She has a lot of photos and does a lot of emailing. This will most likely be her last computer she will buy. I was thinking she won't have any problems with this.
Thanks for any feed back provided.

roelforg
June 14th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Are you planning on running it with the Windows 7 OS, or do you plan to install a Linux OS?

She definitely shouldn't have a problem with the system being slow on a 3 GHz Quad-Core with 6 GB of RAM.

I didn't see a wireless NIC in the specs. If it is needed you may need to buy one.

I also noticed the ATI Radeon 4200 graphics. If you are going to run a Linux OS, that me be something that you want to look into for any know problems.

I've worked my way around those ATI kinks, it takes a few houres of setting up (well, that's how long it takes when you don't know the quirks, but there are enough here that do, me included (i've setup ATI cards on both windows and linux and know the weired quirks of the drivers and the controlpanels thereof), and are willing to help).

I don't have slow systems on a 1.53GHz core 2 duo with 2gb ram, so i believe you're right.

HermanAB
June 14th, 2012, 10:02 AM
How about getting her a Lenovo laptop computer? Much more convenient form factor. Desktops are so last century.

CharlesA
June 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM
How about getting her a Lenovo laptop computer? Much more convenient form factor. Desktops are so last century.
+1.

It's a nice system, but totally overkill imho.