PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome (Ubuntu Classic) & 12.04 & drawer-applet

finni
June 12th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Where is drawer applet in Ubuntu Classic (12.04)? I need it in my gnome panel. I use it frequently. Can I install the drawer applet somehow?

Another question is about Quanta+ (Quanta plus) program, why it isn't in the ubuntu repositories anymore? I use it to program PHP.

Unity just plain sucks, please consider removing it, ubuntu devs...

(I just upgraded from ubuntu 10.10 to 12.04...)

Frogs Hair
June 12th, 2012, 08:40 PM
The applet is no longer synaptic . Gnome 2 is no longer being developed by Gnome(EOL). 10.04 is the last supported release that uses it.

The closest you can get to Gnome 2 is the fork project "Mate." Some Ubuntu functions won't work with Mate because it is based on pure gnome, so some modifications of made by Canonical are absent. Mate comes as an option on Mint which is made to work with it.

If a program is missing it is probably because it's developers have not made it Gnome 3 compatible yet.

finni
June 13th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I guess I have to go back to 10.04-11.04 to get Gnome2. Gnome3 is not worth the trouble...

EDIT: 11.04's gnome2 was totally unstable! Sitting with 10.10 now but there is now updates to this promised anymore... I quess I have to get manual updates for 10.10 then.