PDA

View Full Version : The android head of Philip K. D ick

HappinessNow
June 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM
fascinating article about an Android built to look, act, speak and think? like Philip K. ****:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fMsbsNXpoTM/T9XY1Yl-lOI/AAAAAAAAP_Y/361dZ9fgDIY/s420/art_556381334-420x0.jpg

JONES: What do you think about the president?
PHIL: Which president do you have in mind?
JONES: Where are we now?
PHIL (looking around the room): We appear to be in my living room. (Pause.) It could be a simulacrum, though (pause), but why would the authorities bother?
Sometimes, the bot's responses were almost too realistic. "It looked very much like my dad," his daughter Isa told the Los Angeles Times a few years after first meeting the bot. "When my name was mentioned it launched into a long rant about my mother. ... It was not pleasant." In other cases, ****'s words were confusing at best: Once, when its conversation partner said that she was the president of the University of Memphis, the robot replied, "I knew he was president, but I never knew of the University of Memphis."
Intriguingly, though, some observers recall the exchange not as a hiccup, but as a triumph, with the **** head cracking a joke: "I've heard of the president, but I've never heard of the University of Memphis." "Instead of nonsense," Dufty writers, "they remember a witty rebuff. They found an intelligent message where there was none. They saw a face in the clouds." In many ways, this reaction harkens back to the early "chatbot" program Eliza, a "Rogerian therapist" developed in the 1960s by MIT's Joseph Weizenbaum.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/the-android-head-of-philip-k-****-20120608-201aa.html

Panawe
June 11th, 2012, 02:02 PM
There was a wonderful radio play call "Bring Me The Head of Philip K ****"!

Panawe
June 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
And I now see why you left the space in D ick!

forrestcupp
June 11th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I wonder if he dreams of electric sheep.

Lucradia
June 11th, 2012, 04:44 PM
And I now see why you left the space in ****!

Which is against the rules to dodge the filter. It's there for a reason.

sffvba[e0rt
June 11th, 2012, 04:59 PM
So this news is actually from 2005... retro.

sanderella
June 11th, 2012, 05:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bYiXIVyguU

for a you tube video of the android made one year ago.

forrestcupp
June 11th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Which is against the rules to dodge the filter. It's there for a reason.

True. But I think that rule is for people who are trying to get around it to put offensive things on here. You can't even talk about Charles Dic kens without dodging the filter. I doubt if anyone is going to be offended by a discussion on one of the great writers of classic works. ;)

HappinessNow
June 12th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I wonder if he dreams of electric sheep.
A most excellent question.

True. But I think that rule is for people who are trying to get around it to put offensive things on here. You can't even talk about Charles Dic kens without dodging the filter. I doubt if anyone is going to be offended by a discussion on one of the great writers of classic works. ;)...or one of the most renowned Sci.Fi writers of modern time.

But it is funny and a bit ironic because the space in the title of his last name was actually a mistake.

HappinessNow
June 12th, 2012, 11:26 PM
So this news is actually from 2005... retro.

404Yet, the article written by Tori Bosch for The Sydney Morning Herald was just published on June 11, 2012 and came up on the 'Recent News' feed on Google News on the same day (June 11, 2012). Time difference?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-HHuUVcaS8gE/T9fAh7s9NGI/AAAAAAAAP_k/ZaVrEyoARPg/s630/Edited%2520-%2520screenshot-20120612-151730.png

Also the 2005 date at the beginning of the article only relates to how they lost the head on a plane once, if you scroll down to the end of the article you'll see why this is current news:

If and when that time comes, it would be nice to have Philip K. **** around for guidance. Luckily, Hanson Robotics rebuilt the PDK bot head in 2011, and it's ready to field our questions once again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bYiXIVyguU

for a you tube video of the android made one year ago.Thanks for posting this link sanderella it is good to see they rebuilt the Android's head.

Bandit
June 13th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Seriously they need to get that bot some hair. I find it mildly disturbing to see him without a cranial cap.

MisterGaribaldi
June 13th, 2012, 05:23 AM
True. But I think that rule is for people who are trying to get around it to put offensive things on here. You can't even talk about Charles Dic kens without dodging the filter. I doubt if anyone is going to be offended by a discussion on one of the great writers of classic works. ;)

I might be offended by talking about Chuck like that.

Then again, you know what Phil said to Chuck one day? "Shlong time, no see, pal. What's up?"

HappinessNow
June 13th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Seriously they need to get that bot some hair. I find it mildly disturbing to see him without a cranial cap.I think that is what the author looked like near his death?