PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Entering a username --- How to?

Neill_R
June 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Login in at the Ubuntu desktop on a Ubuntu server. there is my install user name but no where to enter a user-name. for example

Domain-name\Active_directory_User_name

or

Active_directory_User_name@Domain-name.co.uk

I know i can ctrl-alt-f2 and login to a text window but i want to connect via the GUI

what do I have to configure so that there is an option in the login menu to allow me to enter my details

sudodus
June 11th, 2012, 11:44 AM
What service and what gui do you use?

- service: samba? ssh?
- and gui: nautilus? or some special gui?

Neill_R
June 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM
here is my current login screen there is no place to enter a user-name

Neill_R
June 11th, 2012, 12:00 PM
i donīt use a service. I just want to login at the console terminal but don have any means of entering my user-name

sudodus
June 11th, 2012, 01:19 PM
The screen in your screen-dump picture is a login screen to Ubuntu running in a virtual machine (a local login screen, where the local users should be listed, underneath the black patch). I don't think you can log in to a remote computer at this screen, but I may be wrong. But after a normal local log in, you can log in to a remote computer with some server program, for example sshd or smbd (for ssh or samba).

Do you want to log into the local computer (via a keyboard, mouse and screen connected directly to the computer you call a server), or do you want to log in to a server via another computer (a client computer), connected to the server via a wired or wireless network? Or do you want to login via the virtual machine to the host computer of that virtual machine?

sudodus
June 11th, 2012, 01:52 PM
If you have more than one user, they should be shown on the log in screen. In the attached file I have edited a detail of your screen-dump: added the users guru and sudodus.

In my installation, these names are clickable (as well as Guest Session), so click to select them!

If you click on the round symbol (presently with the Ubuntu logo), you can select different desktop environments, and the selection is remembered until next time you boot/log in.

Neill_R
June 11th, 2012, 07:34 PM
The screen in your screen-dump picture is a login screen to Ubuntu running in a virtual machine (a local login screen, where the local users should be listed, underneath the black patch). I don't think you can log in to a remote computer at this screen, but I may be wrong. But after a normal local log in, you can log in to a remote computer with some server program, for example sshd or smbd (for ssh or samba). THIS IS NOT WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO

Do you want to log into the local computer (via a keyboard, mouse and screen connected directly to the computer you call a server), YES

Cheesemill
June 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and add the line:

greeter-hide-users=true
to the bottom.

Neill_R
June 11th, 2012, 07:39 PM
If you have more than one user, they should be shown on the log in screen. In the attached file I have edited a detail of your screen-dump: added the users guru and sudodus.

In my installation, these names are clickable (as well as Guest Session), so click to select them!

If you click on the round symbol (presently with the Ubuntu logo), you can select different desktop environments, and the selection is remembered until next time you boot/log in.

I have one local user but I want to login as a domain user (Centrify has allow this machine to join my domain) if I log in at the text screen CTRl-ALT-F2 i can create a new user folder under /home but that does not add a entry in the GUI login screen.

mcduck
June 11th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and add this line:

greeter-show-manual-login=true

After that, restart lightdm:

sudo service lightdm restart

Now you should be able to use the "Other" login option.