PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 install - can't click on anything in Unity

travep
June 11th, 2012, 01:46 AM
I have a fresh install on a Dell Optiplex 320 Desktop. It has a Pentium D 3.4GHz processor with a couple of GB of RAM. The install seems to go fine but if I click on a menu item the drop-down menu occurs and you can't select any item...nor will the drop-down go away when you click on something else. If you pass over a toolbar item, the pop up text appears and never disappears on mouse-out. This is really strange. I've seen some issues around NVidia but I can't do anything with this thing in this state. I actually took the machine in and had it replaced with the same model and the install did the exact same thing. Any ideas what is happening and how I can get past it?

Thanks!

wilee-nilee
June 11th, 2012, 01:54 AM
I have a fresh install on a Dell Optiplex 320 Desktop. It has a Pentium D 3.4GHz processor with a couple of GB of RAM. The install seems to go fine but if I click on a menu item the drop-down menu occurs and you can't select any item...nor will the drop-down go away when you click on something else. If you pass over a toolbar item, the pop up text appears and never disappears on mouse-out. This is really strange. I've seen some issues around NVidia but I can't do anything with this thing in this state. I actually took the machine in and had it replaced with the same model and the install did the exact same thing. Any ideas what is happening and how I can get past it?

Thanks!

Are you updated, and have you checked the additional drivers app?

Which desktop are you using?

travep
June 11th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I'm just using the default desktop that comes with the install. That's Unity as I understand it.

I checked the options initially during the install to update the software where needed. I am pretty sure that I saw a message during the install that indicated it was updating packages.

How can I check the additional driver app? I am unable to open anything...at least through the desktop.

Thanks for any advise!

pastormartin
June 18th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Are you using a PS2 mouse? Changing to a USB mouse resolved this for me.

goltoof
July 2nd, 2012, 12:55 AM
Hey look, someone with my exact same issue!
Did you find anything resembling an answer?
I'm at a loss... seeing no other resolve than to reinstall.

Toci
July 14th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Hey look, someone with my exact same issue!
Did you find anything resembling an answer?
I'm at a loss... seeing no other resolve than to reinstall.

Had the same problem, this corrected the issue magnificently:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12043966&postcount=5

jmfal
July 14th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu

Try this in a terminal

unity --reset

You can also try and unplug your mouse and plug it back in after a few seconds.