PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade CPU from I3 to I5

Tombradyhasamachinehead
June 10th, 2012, 09:52 PM
hello,
WIll i see a difference in computer performance if i upgrade my desktops i3 to i5? I dont game or anything all i do is just collegework, youtube, basic stuff =). I know i5 is better though.

VE6EFR
June 10th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Personally I probably wouldn't spend the extra money on the upgrade. However your mileage may vary.

Here is an article talking about the two processors - http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/61150.aspx

sanderj
June 10th, 2012, 11:00 PM
hello,
WIll i see a difference in computer performance if i upgrade my desktops i3 to i5? I dont game or anything all i do is just collegework, youtube, basic stuff =). I know i5 is better though.

No, probably not. A way to check: monitor your current CPU usage. If it's low, you won't gain much.

If you want to spend money anyway, I would buy more RAM.

N0oki3
June 10th, 2012, 11:02 PM
hello,

If you do the "basic stuff" then there won't be any diffrencee between usage of i3 or i5.

You should rather save that money for new notebook (in case this 1 dies or gets old) or take your girlfriend to a nice dinner :)

Tombradyhasamachinehead
June 10th, 2012, 11:04 PM
i already got 6GB of ram so i think i will save money for my girlfriend =)

overdrank
June 10th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Moved to The Community Cafe

Reason NL
June 10th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Consider a SSD, that would the the best performance boost you can give your laptop for daily usage.

forrestcupp
June 10th, 2012, 11:17 PM
It's definitely not worth it at all, unless you're getting a newer generation of i5. That's the only case it would be worth it, especially if you're using the onboard graphics. Other than that, it's not worth it at all.

The only difference between an i3 and a similar i5 is Turbo Boost. That's all. When I was looking into laptops, I ended up buying an i3 because I couldn't justify the huge price gap if all I got out of it was Turbo Boost, which just bumps up the processor speed a small amount in certain situations.

An i7 might be worth it, but not an i5.

Tombradyhasamachinehead
June 10th, 2012, 11:18 PM
lol, im using a desktop not a laptop =).

N0oki3
June 10th, 2012, 11:23 PM

Okay... In my country i5 costs 200 euros. And that is half of some awesome notebook with nice specs...

So like I said in post above:
Save money for notebook or buy something nice to your girlfriend =)

Tombradyhasamachinehead
June 10th, 2012, 11:26 PM
noted =),

forrestcupp
June 11th, 2012, 02:37 AM

My point is still valid for desktop i3's vs i5's. It's not going to be worth it.

Bandit
June 11th, 2012, 02:40 AM
If you upgrade the system go to a newer low end Ivy i7. Other then that unless got a high end HDD, a SSD like recommended would actually be a good upgrade.

Roasted
June 11th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I have an i3, and do quite a bit more than the basic college work and YouTubing, and I hardly come close to pushing the i3 into "I need to upgrade" land. I'd say the same would be true for you, unless you are sincerely wanting to spend some money with very little return.

EDIT - I'd 10000000000000% on getting an SSD if you haven't already. I have my Ubuntu OS on an SSD (/home is on a 1TB RAID array) and it's absolutely beautiful. I'd never go back to having the OS on a traditional hard drive...