PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help with boot

anubis989
June 10th, 2012, 05:31 PM
i need help. i am new to linux but not new to computers by a long shot. i have been working computers since 1993 but this has me scratching my head. i just did a complete wipe of windows and installed the newest version of UBUNTU. everything installed perfectly after it restarted it came up with the black screen problem. but my problem is a litlle different i think i could be wrong. see it says to force the GRUB to boot from live cd and change the grub menu settings. but see i dont even have the ability to bring up my BIOS. and i guess that is my question (from what i know no matter what the operating system is it still requires a BIOS) so if i can not get any BIOS to post to change the boot setting to boot from the LIVE cd how do i fix this. please i could use your help guys thanks.

drs305
June 10th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Do you know the key to press to access your BIOS during power up? If not, you can probably find it online somewhere. You should be able to access it by repeatedly pressing the key as the computer powers up - often the computer will beep at the time the key should be pressed.

Otherwise, try holding down the SHIFT key as the computer boots to see if you can get the GRUB menu to display. If that doesn't work, try pressing the ESC key repeatedly.

If you can get the menu to display we may be able to change some of the kernel options to allow it to boot to the Desktop.