PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade question

trixman
June 10th, 2012, 03:51 PM
i would like to upgrade my 10.04 ububutu via the update manager.

the next upgrade is 10.10

can i just keep upgrading via the update manager to the latest LTS this way

in no real hurry 10.04 is solid until next year, just wanted to know.

thanks
:)

drs305
June 10th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Yes you can do it this way if desired. If you want to end up at 12.04 though that is a lot of upgrades, each of which could fail.

I'd recommend waiting for the 12.04.1 release to come out in a month or so. The LTS upgrade will then show up in Update Manager (LTS) and you can do one upgrade to the next LTS.

Either way you go, I'd recommend making an image of your current OS prior to the upgrade so you can revert should things not work out to your liking.

mastablasta
June 10th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I'd recommend waiting for the 12.04.1 release to come out in a month or so. The LTS upgrade will then show up in Update Manager (LTS) and you can do one upgrade to the next LTS.

in other words you can upgrade directly from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS.

trixman
June 10th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Yes you can do it this way if desired. If you want to end up at 12.04 though that is a lot of upgrades, each of which could fail.

Either way you go, I'd recommend making an image of your current OS prior to the upgrade so you can revert should things not work out to your liking.

thanks for the help and info

i will wait for the 12.04 lts like you said and do one upgrade.
i back up all my stuff so its neat.
i like to upgrade via the update manager did it the last 2 times it works nice.