PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] major bug causes crash if dsl cable is unplugged

Pedroski55
June 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Hi, I have a new installation of Ubuntu 12.04. I like it. Before this I used Fedora 16, which had a problem: every time I unplugged the dsl cable, the computer froze! Nearly a year ago, I reported this to bugzilla, but no solution was ever offered. I installed the latest Fedora 17, and this problem was gone!! But, Fedora 17 was not very good, had other problems, so I went for Ubuntu.

Now I have the same old problem back: unplug the dsl cable, machine freezes. Linux cannot reboot, even if I choose recovery mode. The only way to get Linux started is to boot Windows, then reboot.

Does anyone here have any idea what this is??

I have a Toshiba Satellite C600D with an ATI Radeon 6310 Graphics chip. I am not using the proprietary graphics driver.

I don't need high end graphics, I only use this computer for school really.

kesman
June 25th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Did you find a solution to this yet? I'm having similar problem with Acer eMachines E625 on Ubuntu 12.04. It wouldn't even boot to LiveCD without the network cable plugged.

If I unplug it, XORG freezes and I have to restart the machine by accessing terminal with ctrl-alt-f2 with
sudo shutdown -r now

I found this from AskUbuntu: http://askubuntu.com/questions/134647/system-crashes-when-internet-connection-is-unplugged it's very similar!

Pedroski55
June 25th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah well, you're lucky, I can't do anything if I unplug the dsl cable. Just press the off switch, until the machine goes off, then boot windows. I'm pretty sure this has to do with Network Manager.