PDA

View Full Version : Need some un-biased feedback!

Andrewmham
June 9th, 2012, 09:25 PM
So in between life, and my day job, I dabble in music...I play a few instruments, the Ukulele being the most obscure of the lot (the bagpipes are just annoying ;) )

I work in TV Broadcast, and the last company I worked for had me doing lots of contract work for cruise lines. One of them has offered me some paid gigs if I'm interested, and asked that I submit a little video. I did a lot of request gigs and open mic's in college for fun, and Elton John never fails...so I popped one up on youtube a few months back, but never sent it in. Now that I'm settled in with my new company, I figure I'll have the time to give it a go!

Figured this would be a decent place to get some generic feedback; even if y'all don't know the song, or hate Elton John, how's it sound?

http://youtu.be/4k5ojlTxo_Y

:guitar:

mips
June 9th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I play a few instruments, the Ukulele being the most obscure of the lot (the bagpipes are just annoying ;) )

Love that instrument. Love Haywain music, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole & Jack Johnson comes to mind.

Andrewmham
June 9th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Aaah, RIP braddah Iz...check out Jake Shimabukuro and James Hill as well!

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Easily within the cruise ship norm, go for it.

You sound good, singing and pitch are a tough one.

I'm a multi instrumentalist as well, used to play Jazz professionally.

kalkems
June 10th, 2012, 07:00 AM
You have a good sounding voice. Choose songs that mean something to you personally and pass that on to the listner. They'll fall for you.

Face-Ache
June 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Never sung, but have played guitar in various working bands in the past.

But that's really good - you've got a nice voice. As wilee-nilee points out, pitch is a really tough one, and i reckon you nailed it.

I have to say though, it's a little bit twee, but then, the uke is a fairly twee instrument really - that's not a criticism either. Twee is totally cool in the right setting, and i think the setting it will be in will be perfect :)

Bandit
June 10th, 2012, 05:30 PM
You sound pretty good. I would go for it. Working real jobs are boring.
But seriously its all about the Benjamins. If it pays good, got good benefits and its something you like. Then go for it.

I used to play the Piano, Fretless Bass and some guitar. But my hands hurt so much these days.

Andrewmham
June 10th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words! I have a huge repository of songs, not even sure what made this one come to mind. Got some decent feedback from the entertainment department as well, I'd be doing more of a loung/request type act. It's definitely sort of a "gimmick" act that I have.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 10th, 2012, 07:37 PM
You sounded very good.

I played it side-by-side with Elton John. It was close enough for most people.

You will probably need a dozen like that for the job.

Edit: We posted at about the same time. Glad you have more songs in you repertoire.

Andrewmham
June 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
You sounded very good.

I played it side-by-side with Elton John. It was close enough for most people.

You will probably need a dozen like that for the job.

Edit: We posted at about the same time. Glad you have more songs in you repertoire.

Yep, currently I have a decent 75 songs in my lineup...most require the music in front of me, but I just put out a sheet with what people can request and pull up the chords/lyrics on the old iPad; works quite well!

Half of the job would be wandering around doing things like Somewhere over the Rainbow, Train's "Hey Soul Sister,' tiny bubbles, tiptoe through the tulips etc...songs of course I'm totally sick of but hey, those are pretty much the only songs people associate with the Uke :P

stalkingwolf
June 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM
ahh yes the memories of Tiny Tim and Miss Vicky.

Linuxratty
June 14th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Nicely done! Your quite good. I hope you have a lot of original and non copyrighted stuff so the RIAA does not come after you.
That being said,I can't sing but I play penny whistle,hammer dulcimer and mandolin ..I used to run a dulcimer club..
Anyway,yeah,go for it!

HappinessNow
June 14th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Love that instrument. Love Haywain music, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole & Jack Johnson comes to mind.
Agreed, nothing quite as good as Israel! The rest of the world just seems flat outside of Israel. He had the most amazingly, honest down-to-earth voice.

You do an awesome Elton John, just as good as he did when he was young...go for it and don't hold back and start writing your own stuff and through in some good ole fashion Israel as well!